Thai Prisoners Riot Over Confiscated Cell Phones

webfact

I have been involved in several prison riots in NY and was the comander of the riot squad for 8 years, and never heard of riot cauased by confiscated cell phones. They were contraband and all the inmates knew it and took it for granted it would be confiscated and they would be locked up if they were caught with one, which was very rare. The big problem was getting the employees from bringing them into the prison, as they were not allowed to do this either. First time a guard or employee was caught doing this was usually 3 month suspension. Second time they got fired. One time I fogot i had it i n my pocket and I was talking to the captain when it rang. Luckily he cut me a break that time. As for transferring prisoners, this is standard procedure following a riot. The main participants get shipped off around the state, or in this case the country, and if found guilty of being involved get locked in cell a long time. This is Thailand though so I dont know what happens next. Perhaps they will jst take them out and shoot them. I often wished we could have done that back in NY, actually.

Was this just before you joined the Green Berets in Nam? LOL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The system in Thai jails is that if a prisoner wants privileges, he/she must first OK it with the guards and then grease their palms with bahts.

Perhaps these cell phones went in via the back door and the guards were denied their tea money.

That’s how the system works, so what’s the point in trying to bypass it?

Fifty of the prisoners involving in the riots were transferred from a prison in Ayutthaya province for involving in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones there.

it was a small mistake to transfer them, in block, from one prison to the another, just in the neighbouring province - they have just created a problem in yet another prison. Maybe sending them individually far away from home province would stop drug smuggling into the prison.

That's silly. Don't you think that maybe the Thai officials could be involved in the drug smuggling?

I Love Thailand.Yet I do tend to understand the way a Country treats it's Prisoners is how they are in terms of being a Civilised Government. The People of Thailand are very spiritual People. If only the Government would treat the Prisoners like they do in the UK, or even Sweden. Then it creates more of a Human being upon being released.

I Love Thailand.Yet I do tend to understand the way a Country treats it's Prisoners is how they are in terms of being a Civilised Government. The People of Thailand are very spiritual People. If only the Government would treat the Prisoners like they do in the UK, or even Sweden. Then it creates more of a Human being upon being released.

Really?

Just read the UK headlines, yobbery and crime is out of control. There are no real deterrents to make them cease and desist.

The streets are over run with thugs, burglaries and car theft is rift.

The police and criminal justice system has no real powers and the prisons are like 3 star hotels.

Would you really want to see that happening in Thailand? And before anyone says it is, it`s no way so bad as the UK, I can assure you.

post-110219-0-36485900-1290726867_thumb.

LOP BURI PRISON RIOT

Inmate shot dead

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_34326.jpg

A prisoner died from a gunshot wound during a violent protest by about 200 male inmates of Lop Buri Prison yesterday morning, in which a canteen and a prisoners' barracks were set ablaze.

Two other inmates and a prison guard were injured. The riot was eventually brought under control.

Corrections Department deputy director-general Thanis Sriyaphan said the protest broke out shortly before noon and was led by 51 inmates who had been transferred from Ayutthaya Prison after they were caught smuggling mobile phones into the prison and reportedly dealt drugs behind bars.

At 12.50pm, Lop Buri Governor Chatchai Phromlert and provincial police chief Maj-General Chatchai Taeng-eium went to the prison with 200 policemen and soldiers as well as 10 fire engines. Governor Chatchai and senior officials went inside to meet the protesting inmates.

Chatchai, who was told about the inmates' rage over alleged unjust treatment by prison guards, urged the inmates to let firemen put out the blaze. He said the inmates were upset with a search by guards that morning that yielded five mobile phones.

After Corrections Department chief Chatchai Sutthikrom arrived at the scene and negotiated with the inmates, they resisted, most of them allegedly high on thinner they stole from the woodwork shop. Finding the inmates' demand to be allowed to carry mobile phones and to meet visitors in private unacceptable, the chief ordered a crackdown. As the inmates were reportedly armed with sticks, knives and iron bars, officials were told to use rubber bullets.

At 3.40pm, 30-40 gunshots were heard for 20-30 minutes from inside the prison before three injured inmates and one wounded guard were carried out. One of the two inmates with gunshot wounds, Kriengkrai Meetho, was reported to have died later yesterday.

After the situation was under control, the 51 inmates who reportedly caused the riot were sent to three maximum-security prisons in Khlong Phai, Phlong Prem and Bang Kwang.

PM Abhisit Vejjajiva said Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga had reported that the prison riot resulted from the officials' attempt to tackle drug-dealing networks behind bars and seize mobile phones.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-26

Aung Sang suu Khy spent almost 17 of the last 20 years in house arrest (which is not a prison) and she is not a criminal: she has been awarded the Nobel Price for peace... She even didn't see or touch a cellphone during all these years!

Prison sentence is prison sentence, period. The next that should be confiscated are the lighters and matches. Smoking is bad for the prisoner's health but removing lighters and matches are good for the prison's assets. Remember: this is Bangkok Hilton! In a first place: try not to be there... :ermm::unsure::annoyed:

Yeah, yeah... And the law is the law... period. And prisoners should get no benefits... period. And innocent men don't go to prison... period.

And this isn't Thailand... period.

Put em in chains for the next 6 months and see how they like that!

Yep, breaking yet another rule of the Geneva Convention will sort out the problem... Mistreat mistreated prisoners even more and they'll soon knuckle under. Where do they think they are? A holiday camp? The nerve of them, rioting because the guards moved the goalposts... Of course the cause of this riot is exactly as it is stated in the newspaper - they always tell us what is really going on, don't they?

"PM Abhisit Vejjajiva said Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga had reported that the prison riot resulted from the officials' attempt to tackle drug-dealing networks behind bars and seize mobile phones."

There is no better place than prison to buy drugs. Chances are that greedy guards tried to adjust the prison smuggling fee, there was a dispute, and then this riot.

What a wonderful oppertunity this thread has been for the Thai bashers, particularly those who have first hand experience inside a Thai prison.

This country must have treated you real bad to make you so bitter and twisted.

Never been bad enough to get inside myself but know some who have been back in NZ.

In some cases they have it better inside than at home, fed , watered, clothed and entertained and dont have to work for a living and even get a few bucks given to them when they get out.

One fella who lived close, to close, to me would be put inside for theft and everyone would know when he was let out because places would be broken into and things would start to go missing again.

Then he would be put back in, cant see him changing his ways.

A bit of harsh treatment aka thai prisons may be what he needs to change said ways.

For sure the 'humane' treatment he no doubt still gets never will.

Poster bleating about criminals deserving harsh treatment know little of Thai justice. This woman was working with her husband in BKK, went home to visit the kids, and accepted a cheap ride back in the back of a pick-up. The vehicle was stopped and searched, yaba found which nobody admitted owning, so all 8 occupants, including her husband, were given 12 years each, but the driver walked, apparently able to buy his way out.

ALL Prisons are full of people who have committed relatively minor crimes and would not be there if they had more money. The smug attitude that they all deserve whatever harsh treatment they receive is an ignorant one. :annoyed:

THis might not be an issue if they actually had normal phones available to prisoners like they do in every other country. It is like the dark ages and the only way to communicate is face to face during visiting hours--- that is if anyone even knows that you are there. Sure you can writie a letter, but who can remember thai addresses???:annoyed:

Poster bleating about criminals deserving harsh treatment know little of Thai justice. This woman was working with her husband in BKK, went home to visit the kids, and accepted a cheap ride back in the back of a pick-up. The vehicle was stopped and searched, yaba found which nobody admitted owning, so all 8 occupants, including her husband, were given 12 years each, but the driver walked, apparently able to buy his way out.

ALL Prisons are full of people who have committed relatively minor crimes and would not be there if they had more money. The smug attitude that they all deserve whatever harsh treatment they receive is an ignorant one. :annoyed:

Well said!

Clearly these bleating ignoramuses have no idea what is going on in the Thai justice department. Its guilty until proven innocent and lucky if your lawyer actually is a good person. I have encountered several lawyers that have the attitude: the more trouble they can get you in then the more money they can get you to pay.

This is truely the heart of the issue.

Prison is for rehabilitaion not torture.

Its no wonder groups such as the Red Shirts are upset and risking their lives for something they believe in. There is a lot of confusion out there and a lot of people upset by serious abuses of justice.

Which brings me to this riot story. As in all newspaper stories, we really don't know the truth about what happened at the prison. This information is surely coming from the prison's management. It is quite possible that the riots started for another reason, such as the person who was shot and killed.

Sure you will get a somewhat accurate accounting about what happened, but exactly 'how' it went down and most importantly 'why' is just another story.

People who put their faith in Thai justice are seriously misguided.

Those calling for harsher treatment of prisoners are either ignorant or cruel. They overestimate the difference between themselves and the prisoners. Sometimes it's just a matter of luck.

The officials were negotiating with the prisoners, Thanis said.

How incompetent can the "officials" be? I am at a loss for words.

Ya gotta remember that this is Thailand. I am at a loss for words everytime I venture out the door.

Why are the officials incompetent because they negotiate with prisoners? Prison officials just about everywhere do that sometimes.

What would you do? Just shoot them I suppose. I'm amazed at how many subscribers on TV are suddenly experts on the internal workings

of the Thai prison system.

Mobile phones are a big problem here in the UK which the authorities are have big problems eradicating, the latest suggestion as it is so difficult to stop prisoners getting them smuggled in is to jam them.

Of course with payphones being available in UK prisons there is no need for prisoners to have mobile phones smuggled/thrown in, unless they need to ensure that their conversations are not listened to, or the person being called is not on their approved list.

I understood that Thai prisons had already introduced a system of blocking phone signals.

Why are the officials incompetent because they negotiate with prisoners? Prison officials just about everywhere do that sometimes. What would you do? Just shoot them I suppose. I'm amazed at how many subscribers on TV are suddenly experts on the internal workings of the Thai prison system.

Agree, of course you negotiate with them, if you didn't do so then you would be incompetent.

Edited by theoldgit

Sure UG little things like murder, rape, mugging, selling drugs, robbery and dont forget the insignificant terrorism.

Guess if you had been a victim of any crime you may have a different attitude.

ALL Prisons are full of people who have committed relatively minor crimes and would not be there if they had more money. The smug attitude that they all deserve whatever harsh treatment they receive is an ignorant one.

Sure UG little things like murder, rape, mugging, selling drugs, robbery and dont forget the insignificant terrorism.

Ulysses G, I normally agree with what you post as you take a balanced view on most issues, but I cannot agree that all prisons are full of people who have committed relatively minor crimes. I'm not sure when you talk about all prisons you are just referring to those in Thailand or worldwide, but I accept that a person with money and connections is less likely to be incarcerated than those who don't, Thaksin Shinawatra may take a different view.

When a person is sent to prison to serve a custodial sentence it's to protected the public for the period of the incarceration, act as deterrent to others and to punish offenders by depriving them of their liberty. Offenders are not there to be punished, the imprisonment and subsequent loss of liberty is the punishment.

Oh, in some countries they may take part in offending behaviour programmes in an attempt to reduce the risk of re-offending, I doubt this is the case in Thailand.

Zackly!! I have both worked in a prison, on a Pre-Release Unit, and also knocked about with guys who have at some point either been 'inside' or perhaps at some point later did a spell in a prison, so I don't need anyone explaining how not all prisoners are the worst of the worst! However, even the guys who get themselves into these sort of predicaments use the phrase, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!!' .. I know which side of the bars/walls I'm staying if I'm allowed to give myself the choice, and whilst I would never advocate or condone punishments which don't fit the crime, and always wish those I know the best, and that things will ultimately take a much more positive turn for them, I do believe - as my aforementioned mates also, perhaps ironically,acknowledge, in such cases: 'You should accept your situation. There would be more dignity in it.' (Anton Chigurh [sugar]; No Country for Old Men) >> Of course, cases of wrongful conviction and imprisonment are an issue which has to be dealt with case by case, on individual merits, and sadly such things do seem far more likely to happen here in Asia. Sympathy for these people. The rest? See the above! :wai:

Edited by spectrumisgreen

I'm amazed at how many subscribers on TV are suddenly experts on the internal workings

of the Thai prison system.

You can become an expert on a lot of things simply by sitting on a Walking Street barstool for a couple of weeks.

I worked in prison in NY for 25 years and 15 years as lieutenant. During that time I was chief of investigations for 8 years and watch commander for 7 as well as riot squad commander, so I know something of prison. However I am no expert on Thai prisons, and only know what I read. I will say though that in 25 years I met thousands of inmates and perhaps there was 1 who I thought did not belong there. To actually get to the point of doing state time in NY you either have to do something really heavy, like murder, or have been convicted of numerous previous offenses. Which usually means there were other crimes which guy did not get caught. I think there are plenty of people who should be in prison, but aren't. Not so many the other way around.