Trip To Amsterdam

bartender100

I know this is a little off topic,

I'm taking a trip from Thailand to Amsterdam soon,any fellow TV's got cheap hotel tips or hide away's they know,online search's are bringing up high prices.

Looking for around 50 euro a night,which is still bloody B2500

(welcome to europe)

All depends on what time of the year that you are going.

Single rooms in the summer time are like gold dust and in some hostels can be grotty and expensive.

Over the years I have been lucky but on a number of occasions had to bunk down in rooms with anything up to 20 punters...alright if not everyone " lets off" at the same time.. :o

If your budget runs to it heres some other links.

Great fun place the "Dam" good pubs,lots of wacky cafes ...mai mee and wide variety of foods..incl.Thai. :D ..

http://www.bookings.net/city/nl/amsterdam.en.html?aid=301785

http://www.easytobook.com/

For something slightly different try

http://www.bulldog.nl/hotel.htm

so I'm told. As Rinrada said summer is not the best time to get something. You could always try the VVV (Dutch Tourist Office) when you arrive in Amsterdam they used to have a room finder service. Check the web site http://www.holland.com/uk/ for addresses.

Edited by tso310

For something slightly different try

http://www.bulldog.nl/hotel.htm

so I'm told. As Rinrada said summer is not the best time to get something. You could always try  the VVV (Dutch Tourist Office) when you arrive in Amsterdam they used to have a room finder service. Check the web site http://www.holland.com/uk/ for addresses.

The Nova Hotel is very central. Although the room smelt of drugs. Wonder why?

Have fun, I'm thinking of going in a couple of weeks.

If you train it into Amsterdam, once you come out the front door of Centraal Station, to the left is a tourist center, that specializes in housing, rooms, hotels, etc, so if you want to wait till you get there, I am sure they will get you a place to stay. This center is always packed with back packers and others traveling thru Europe...

I found a great apartment at this site.

http://www.amsterdamrooms.info/index.html

Its 90 euros a night,but when you consider a tatty room with no facilities this time of year in amsterdam can cost you 70 euros+ I thought it was a great buy.Kitchen as well.

Mind you a week here,I could rent a better place in pattaya for 2 months

Sorry valentinoxxx I missed your reply till it was to late,thanks anyway.

Edited by bartender100

Its 90 euros a night,but when you consider a tatty room with no facilities this time of year in amsterdam can cost you 70 euros+ I thought it was a great buy.Kitchen as well.

Which did you choose? I have the use of a house in the Jordaan.

Which did you choose? I have the use of a house in the Jordaan.

valentinoxxx

On that website,they had a few apartments avalible for the time I wanted,I went for apartment A13,it is in the Jordaan,I found that company very accomdating with regards to questions.Its on Wittenstraat.

Thats why I want to taqke my wife there for a holiday. Sit in a coffee shop and look at the canals.

Also neither of us speak the local lingo, so on-one will be at a particular advntage, she with her "Tinglish" and me with my appauling accent.

All this talk of Amsterdam has put me in the mood so though i would take the opportunity and go for a weekend. :D

K.Wife has only ever seen the inside of the Airport (China Air)and thinks its great so recon with the old bank Hols coming up next week it might as well be now or never.

Gotta drop in and see me old bank manager over there so thats as good an excuse as any....been a couple of years .

Anyway dont have any time to troll for flight /accom so just hit on "LastMinute" and its given me a 2 night stay in the Golden Tulip.**** Hotel (delux Room /Breakkies) and inclu.flights (star alliance-lounges) for just over £160 each......sounds all right.

Used to stay in the "Kabul"....right old doss house..but getting too old for that :D

Hope the weather holds......who cares..... :D:o

Had planned to go this weekend. Decided to enjoy the weather in the UK instead.

Maybe next weekend.

House is a couple of minutes walk from the Anne Frank Huis, just off the Prinsengracht.

Nice area. Strange to walk from there to the contrast of the RLD in a matter of minutes.

Bit of info on the Bulldog.... :D

Incidently there used to be a couple of Thai style beer bars just round the corner by the canal....did you get into any of them?

One was run by a man and wife and the other seemed to be full of Kat-toys...but fun.

Also need a feeding station for wife ...any new/reccos.... :o

Bulldog....Description:

Relax and unwind on the quiet side of the Amsterdam Red Light District, one of the world's best hangouts. The Bulldog Hotel, in the middle of all the action, is a newly renovated, self-styled, clean and cool hostel in the heart of the centre only 8 minutes walk from Central Station.

Amsterdam is a cosmopolitan, thriving and non-conformist place – and Amsterdammers are known throughout the world for their relaxed attitude. We want to be a home away from home for travellers of all ages (sorry, no pets, no children) with limited funds and our staff are very carefully selected to create an ambient, relaxed atmosphere. We promise not to laugh when we see you eating bread with peanut butter 3 times a day for a week!

Our guests can relax in a laid back atmosphere, watch DVDs on wide screen TVs in our movie lounge or get pumped up for the vibrant nightlife. Our crew will update you about anything you need to know about the most liberal city in the world.

We do not accept reservations for stag nights, hen nights or sport tours, soccer fans for (inter)national matches and large groups of males (6 persons or more).

Read the above carefully because in the event of a false booking, there will be no check-in and no refund!

Why not come to Amsterdam and find out how we really make clogs, cheese and windmills? And when you do, why not visit us? The Bulldog Hotel - the first five star hostel!

'Benefits'

Relax lounge / airconditioned non-smoking rooms / roofpatio / breakfast / security guards and video surveillance / tropical fishes / pool table / cool staff / cool prices / central location.

Facilities:

* Breakfast Included

* Restaurant

* Internet Access

* Laundry

* Linen Included

* Credit Cards Accepted

* Security Lockers

* Luggage Storage

* Children Friendly

* 24 Hour Reception

* Bureau de Change

* Common Room

* No Curfew

* No Lockout

* No Smoking

* Taxes included in price

Our Review: The room had 6 bunk beds in it, with huge lockers next to each. I could almost fit my entire pack into it! The rooms were fully carpeted and since it was summer the air conditioning was running and was very successful in making me feel at home :D

i was in amsterdam about a month ago and stayed at the bulldog hotel--mainly because of its location.  it's a bit backpackerish, but in addition to dorm rooms there are individual rooms available--i paid 80 euros but it will probably go down once autumn begins.

Thats why think I got a good deal,for a 2 bedroom place with kitchen for 90 euro's a night, even the hostel places wanted 70-80 for a private room,when you think that its B4000 a night you could stay at the Royal Cliff in Pattaya for that.I'm to old for a dorm room.

Rinrada

I know the bars you mean,one of them does decent food,the one with the Katoey's.

valentinoxxx

Check out that cam,its raining again today,you made the right decision.

Amsterdam's Red Light District has many Thai restaurants, but none quite like ...

Never go without a Keo Wan.....wherever you be....just to tempu... :D

List of Thai Restaurants in Amsterdam

Saow Thai.

Like other Thai restaurants Saow Thai's food is consistently good, well prepared, perfectly spiced and always accompanied by a beautiful presentation.

So what makes this Thai place different? Well the bar scene dominates more than half the place, with the few cramped dining tables stuffed in almost as an afterthought. And it's quite a bar scene.

The beautiful Thai women serving drinks (and dinner) are often not women at all but Thai men in drag :D . And they carry it off so well, this place will remind those who've been through the sexy bar scene in Bangkok of that steamy, sultry city.

The patrons of Saow Thai seem evenly divided by those seeking good Thai food, and those wanting to hang out at the bar. It's really too bad this place isn't a little bigger, as it takes a while to feel comfortable in their dining area.

Their beautiful and tasty culinary delights don't come cheap either. As low key and unprententious as the place is, you don't expect to pay these prices. Plan on 30 Euros per person plus drinks.

Bit left out...

That's the kind of feeling I get at Saow Thai.

Like there's more going on here than meets the eye. Intriguing indeed!

I highly recommend you arrive early for dinner. The few tables (four I think) fill up fast. Or just hangout by the bar and wait patiently while the Asian transvestites ply you with mai tais.

I can think of few things more exotic than that... :o

Address:

Oudezijds Achterburgwal 160

1012 DW Amsterdam

Phone: 020 422-3023

and couple of others..

Bird Snackbar & Thai Restaurant

Decription: This place is popular for take-away Thai food. Not the best in town, but good for a quick cheap Thai meal. Restaurant is more pricey.

Category: Restaurants | Subcategory: Thai | Area: Red Light District

Klaas Compaen

Decription: The oldest Thai restaurant in Amsterdam is cozy too.

Lana-Thai Restaurant

Decription: Thai food at it's best, presented stylishly in a beautiful restaurant, right in the heart of Amsterdam's Red Light District.

Me Naam Naan

Decription: This restaurant is a well-kept secret, serving up the best Thai food in Amsterdam

Category: Restaurants | Subcategory: Thai | Area: Nieuwmarkt

Royal Thai

Decription: A very nice Thai restaurant near the Leidseplein, specializing in seafood with excellent service.

Category: Restaurants | Subcategory: Thai | Area: Leidseplein

Saow Thai

Decription: There are many Thai restaurants in Amsterdam, but none quite as unique as Saow Thai. Find out why

http://www.hiptravelguide.com/amsterdam/ph...bcat=Thai&cat=3

i was in amsterdam about a month ago and stayed at the bulldog hotel--mainly because of its location.  it's a bit backpackerish, but in addition to dorm rooms there are individual rooms available--i paid 80 euros but it will probably go down once autumn begins.

Thats why think I got a good deal,for a 2 bedroom place with kitchen for 90 euro's a night, even the hostel places wanted 70-80 for a private room,when you think that its B4000 a night you could stay at the Royal Cliff in Pattaya for that.I'm to old for a dorm room.

Rinrada

I know the bars you mean,one of them does decent food,the one with the Katoey's.

valentinoxxx

Check out that cam,its raining again today,you made the right decision.

The last time I went there it was raining. We had a good time anyway. It certainly helped having a house. Being cooped up in a hotel room would had been no fun.

We were lucky to have an Albert Hein supermarket a minutes walk away, so we stocked up with all sorts of goodies and had a good time indoors.

Given the choice I would always choose the apartment/house option.

Enjoy your stay.

I'm not sure about this one but... you can also try Bastion Hotels. www.bastionhotels.nl. There is one Bastion Hotel in Amsterdam right next to a subway. Also there is another in Hoofddorp next to the McDonalds and it will take you about 20 min to reach Amsterdam Central Station from there. I'm not sure about prices though. Also you might try the hostel at Vondelpark. Just type "Vondelpark hostel" in google.

Btw I'm from Amsterdam. So if you have any questions about anything except places to stay...