Tom Yum Goong

Khutan

I want and saw Tom Yum Goong yesterday.

I must say it was a very good film, and I greatly enjoyed myself. It was easy to watch, but not boring, and the development of tension between the characters was excellent. Of course sympathy goes with the main character throughout the film.

I also feel it sets a new standard for Thai cinema. There was better character development than I have seen before, and whilst the complexity of the characters was revealed, the plot was left uncomplicated, but it was also developed. Further, they didn't resort to the usual "slapstick" humor, when in need to "pad" the film. Further and finally, I did enjoy seeing good camera work and shot angle. The effects used were deliberate, and were appropriate for the scenes.

I would recomend anyone to see it.

I want and saw Tom Yum Goong yesterday.

I must say it was a very good film, and I greatly enjoyed myself. It was easy to watch, but not boring, and the development of tension between the characters was excellent. Of course sympathy goes with the main character throughout the film.

I also feel it sets a new standard for Thai cinema. There was better character development than I have seen before, and whilst the complexity of the characters was revealed, the plot was left uncomplicated, but it was also developed. Further, they didn't resort to the usual "slapstick" humor, when in need to "pad" the film. Further and finally, I did enjoy seeing good camera work and shot angle. The effects used were deliberate, and were appropriate for the scenes.

I would recomend anyone to see it.

you never taped it did you mate :o

Do they have it with english subtitles or english dubbing as well (I mean here in BKK)?

English subtitles available at most theatres/showings but some showings have just the Thai sundtrack, with Thai subtitles when the characters speak English (most of the movie is set in Sydney, Australia) or Mandarin.

It was OK, "Ong Bak" was better, and some Thais I've spoken with agree. I liked the early rural scenes but found the film totally disjointed and confusing, a la "102 Bangkok Robbery", with too many fight scenes and not enough acrobatics and chases.

I went to so it on the opening day and it was terrible!

It starts well enough but then jumps about all over the place. The film is poorly made - much worse than several other thai movies I've seen recently.

The editing is poor, the storyline is a bumbling mess and the action becomes boring and repetitive after a while. As for the 'special effects', i've seen better in films from 20 years ago. I

It was a massive disappointment and can't hold a candle to 'Kung <deleted> Hustle' if you like this genre of movie.

I went to so it on the opening day and it was terrible!

It starts well enough but then jumps about all over the place. The film is poorly made - much worse than several other thai movies I've seen recently.

The editing is poor, the storyline is a bumbling mess and the action becomes boring and repetitive after a while. As for the 'special effects', i've seen better in films from 20 years ago. I

It was a massive disappointment and can't hold a candle to 'Kung <deleted> Hustle' if you like this genre of movie.

I have to agree with you, TYG was a total mess of a movie. I had numerous "<deleted>??!!" moments watching it. The storyline, dialogue and acting was bad enough, but it was poorly edited to such a degree that it was incomprehensible. However, the first 15 minutes were beautifuly shot. Upon reflection, it seems almost like it was from a different movie. However the 4 minute non-stop stedi-cam restaurant fight scene was, without question, the greatest fight scene I've ever seen in any movie, ever. Period. It probably helped that I had not heard about it before I saw it (sorry to everyone who's reading this!), but just as it started I immediately realized I was watching cinematic history. Those 4 minutes alone were worth the price of admission and the otherwise wasting of 2 hours of my life.

How you can compare TYG to KFH is beyond my understanding. That's like comparing Gandhi to XxX -- they are just SO different! KFH is basically like a cartoon, packed full of CGI and wire-<deleted> and comical set-pieces. While it may be a better quality film production all round, TYG has one up over KFH -- Tony Jaa. When you see Tony Jaa on screen, there are no wires and no CGI, he's the real deal!

yes clokwise, the beginning of the film was great but then it just fell to pieces.

I compared Tom Yum Goong to Kung <deleted> Hustle because they are both martial arts films.

If TYG is this best Thailand can do with this sort of material then they are going to get laughed out of every other country it is shown in.

They have a star in Tony Jaa, but this so-called showcase was abysmal. ######, even the very first Bruce Lee movies looked, sounded and flowed better than this dross

Edited by leftcross

He's been there already as a stunt double.

Thais have somehow managed to release DVD of "On Bak" without English subtitles at all, so don't hold our breath for Chinatown copies.

Hmm, I have a street copy of Ong Bak that has english subtitles so DVDs with English are available. Actually, the plot is very obvious and straightforward so you don't need subtitiled dialogue to follow the story. :o

I saw Tom Yung Goog today and found it entertaining. I agree that the beginning of the movie (story plot and intro of characters ) was some of the best Thai filming I have seen. They kinda got carried away with some of the later fight scenes but it will definitely draw audiences. They also had a lot of tie-ins (same same Hollywood) with TYG popcorn-coke sets, TYG sausages, etc available at the theater.

How did they bend some of the actor's arms and legs to such distorted degrees in the fights without really breaking something??

I heard Tony Jaa is going to Hollywood soon ??? Will be with Either Jet Li or Jackie Chan...And also he have been Approach by Warner Brothers....

I thought it was superb! Alot better than Ong Bak. But were my eyes lying or was Jackie Chan in the movie briefly? The airport scene??

Bang...........

I heard Tony Jaa is going to Hollywood soon ??? Will be with Either Jet Li or Jackie Chan...And also he have been Approach by Warner Brothers....

I thought it was superb! Alot better than Ong Bak. But were my eyes lying or was Jackie Chan in the movie briefly? The airport scene??

Bang...........

Really? better than Ong Bak? I and most ppl i've spoken to thought Ong Bak was so much better.

It was a Jackie Chan lookalike. Same thing with Sek Loso.

I watch a lot of Thai films and about the only good thing about the film (apart from Tony Jaa) was Tuck rubbing mud on herself.

I was disappointed.

I guess the hype raised my expectations too high. It will never compete seriously in an international market.

It started good but the plot disintegrated by the first action scene.

The English translation lacked the humor of the Thai speaking. They need a native English speaker to write the English dialogue.

I couldn't believe any of the story. Why are the Australians picketing to keep a Thai elephant from being moved to an Australian zoo? Why are the boys on roller skates used to fight Tony Jaa at the docks? How does a 9 story building operate as a whorehouse, gambling den, drug trafficking center, and illegal animal trade in the center of Australia? How does a Thai police officer (with very poor English) get to work for the Australian police force and allow Thai prisoners (caught in the act) to go free without punishment. After Tony Jaa beats up the rastafari man and the sword fighter, where did they disappear to? Do bones really make that loud of a noise when they break? One fighting scene was so filled with the loud sound of bones breaking that it was annoying.

I would have enjoyed it more if I had expected it to be at the same level as Ong Bak. It was all fighting and no plot, poor acting, and poor dialogue. It would have been a great movie if I had known that going into it.

I thought it was okay. It is a martial arts movie so you can't expect the plot to make sense. All they are doing is setting up good situations for Tony Jaa to show off his fighting skills and some of the fight scenes were very good.

The 4 minute continuous scene with a single camera must be one of the best pieces of choreography ever done in the movies - I think I saw one cut but I wasn't sure. The scene with the rollerskaters also had some great moves. Some of the other fight scenes were tedious and repetitive but there was lots of brutality which will go down well with martial arts fans.

Sure the acting was abysmal, especially the farang - looked like some of them were just people they had grabbed off the street to do a quick line on camera. The storyline didn't add up, there was no relationship development between any of the characters and some of the editing was very poor.

Still a good martial arts movie and Tony Jaa could be the next big martial arts star.

I agree with what others said about the story; I thought is was promising for the first 15 or so minutes but fell apart after that. I was especially annoyed when the left the temple only to return to it in the next scene. Poor writing or editing?

I enjoyed the fight scenes; this was the first Thai-styled fighting movie that I have seen.

Is it me or is there some negative symbolism about the Chinese and farangs in this movie? The Chinese made a trophy out of the big one, wanted to eat the little one, and were pimping out Thai girls. The main villian was a Chinese transexual, who killed members of her own family. The white villian burned a Buddhist temple and beat up a monk. The Thai guy beat those HUGE farangs after they put the little one through the window (the gf's niece shrieked when this happened). I thought those were some powerful images.

Saw it yesterday....The story line was poor lots of cutting scene...And i think its not a complete movie...

But i can say that the Tony Jaa did a perfect job for this one....His fighting skills are superb....Give him a few more years and he will be in Hollywood Co starring a movie in the Big League

Still a good martial arts movie and Tony Jaa could be the next big martial arts star.

In a Television Interview Tony says that Warner Bro have already contacted his agent to bring him over to hollywood but still have not signed any agreement

Funny part was Sek Loso was in the Scene... :o:cheesy::D

Edited by tytus

Terrible movie, and like others I had several <deleted> moments.

But I'm not a fan of these kung <deleted> movies. Can someone please explain to me why it is that when there is 20 guys against one, the 20 dont think it might be a good idea to rush him all at once, instead of waiting one by one while their colleagues get beaten up.

Silly, facile and childish stuff, in my view.

I wanted to like it because it's Thai, but being Thai alone does not make it worth watching.

Terrible movie, and like others I had several <deleted> moments.

But I'm not a fan of these kung <deleted> movies.

Did you not realise before you went it was a Kung <deleted> movie?

If not, have you been living on the moon?

Sorry but just seemes a odd comment to me.....Maybe you got dragged there?

Bang.........

Excellent fighting, Tony Jaa is gonna be a star :o

The thai comedian is great also.

Story was a bit weak, I think Ong Bak was better story wise.

It was a Jackie Chan lookalike. Same thing with Sek Loso.

They were'nt lookalikes, I've met Sek Loso a couple of times now and it was him. :D

I know of 3 people who played minor roles as extras in the movie. one guy was in the restaurant scene as a customer sitting at a table. another was a security guard. and yet another played the role of the immigration officer at the airport where tony jaa went through the australian immigration.

ahhhh. the life of a movie extra. present, but unknown. seen yet unseen.

Just to put in my 2 Setangs worth...

The fighting scenes were excellent and if it were possible to fast forward past the "plot" development scenes then I would have. Although the Songkran scene at the beginning is very well shot. And Enough has been said about the 4 minute single take scene without me needing to re-iterate how good it is. I was also quite impressed with the burning temple fight scene, although I'm sure all the moves in that scene are lifted directly from Tekken 3!

A few howlers though to add to the ones posted already: Why does the big, 7ft farrang guy (played by Nathan Jones) disappear at the mere sound of a police siren? And where does he actually go? We never see him leave. Do they really have Thais with heavy Thai accents reading the news in Australia? How does the big boss guy just coincidentally happen to appear at the end of the taxi chase scene when Tony first arrives in Syndey? Why do the police arrest him when he's done nothing wrong at all? How does Tony manage to find his way around Sydney when he can speak no English and has no map?

So, anyway, whereas the fight scenes are almost enough to carry the movie, there are just too many cringe-making moments for it to be ridiculed by all but the most hardened martial arts movie fans in the west.

I saw it with the missus on Sunday afternoon and we both thought the movie was great entertainment.

:o

I am not particularly fond of martial arts movies, but this one was OK. The breaking celery stick sounds (aka breaking bones) were a bit OTT sometimes though... :D

The audience roared with laughter when Loso wandered in and calmly drank his M150 in front of the camera. :D

Would I watch it again?

Definitely.

:D