Talk About Skyrocketing Prices ?

ThePunPun

And so it goes on.. just got back from Warowat Market, fruit prices are up, oranges up to 40B+ kilo (depending on size) last year 15-30B. but also a small bag of jackfruit up to 30B from 20B (50% increase!)

Cotton face masks were 5B now 7B (40% increase!)

And to top it off locally grown avocados, the women was quoting me 150B kilo up from 45-50B kilo last year (falang tax?)

Most locals must be struggling while the trading classes jack up prices to pay for their new huge shiny Toyota Hiluxes or whatever

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it goes on.. just got back from Warowat Market, fruit prices are up, oranges up to 40B+ kilo (depending on size) last year 15-30B. but also a small bag of jackfruit up to 30B from 20B (50% increase!)

Cotton face masks were 5B now 7B (40% increase!)

And to top it off locally grown avocados, the women was quoting me 150B kilo up from 45-50B kilo last year (falang tax?)

Most locals must be struggling while the trading classes jack up prices to pay for their new huge shiny Toyota Hiluxes or whatever

Warawot Market has never been a bargain centre for fruit - it's probably the most expensive market, due to the amount of tourists that are nearby and you know the thinking, less tourists, higher prices to make up the deficit. Many markets around Chiang Mai are still extremely cheap and there are a couple of markets that only set up after 4 pm on a Saturday, where food is ridiculously cheap whether you are farang or Thai. I mean a massive bunch of Asparagus for 20 Baht and a kilo of bell peppers 15 Baht as examples. I often stop off at Nong Hoi market, where I think prices are also reasonable.

Edited by uptheos

I'm eating less and feeling better, except for the beaver. It's the same price as it has been for a while and still non fattening. :whistling:

Scientificly proven

..... lean beaver is actually healthy for you, much moreso than old fat rump roast. :rolleyes:

but I have to disagree a bit. choice cuts have gone up a wee bit.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I just got my grocery ad in the mail today in the US. I will convert to KG and THB for you.

Tangelos 14 thb per kg. "elephant" white rice 18 thb per kg. Jalapeños 18 per kg. Boneless chicken thighs 66 thb per kg.

Salad dressing, cereal, mayonaise, and other missionary foods are about 80% less than Tesco.

I just got my grocery ad in the mail today in the US. I will convert to KG and THB for you.

Tangelos 14 thb per kg. "elephant" white rice 18 thb per kg. Jalapeños 18 per kg. Boneless chicken thighs 66 thb per kg.

Salad dressing, cereal, mayonaise, and other missionary foods are about 80% less than Tesco.

Thighlander are those products you mention and price US domestic produce any imported?

The rice would equate to being about 10 baht more a kilo here for domestic grown, oranges a bit more expenssive and chicken a few baht more per kg

Gonzo

I buy cantaloupe melons in the market next to 7/11 in the village and she has been charging me about 40 baht/kilo for a long while now but quite often she throws in some other fruit as well for free and the lady next door has been selling a hand (15) big bananas for 35 baht for quite a while as well.

The lady who sells melons also gave me a rose for Valentine's day.

In the 3 other markets, Monday afternoon, Wednesday morning and Saturday afternoons the price of cabbage is 10 baht for 2, onions around 40 baht/kg, both chicken and duck eggs range from 27 to 35 baht for 10 depending on size. Most veges are reasonably priced but the price of pork, chicken and beef I have no idea as my wife buys them though I think pork is around 90 baht/kg.

Oil and stuff like that I normally buy at Big C or Makro once a month.

Edited by billd766

Anyone know the real facts on this.

I have heard that the governments price controls on cooking oil only pertain to purchases in the one litre botts.

Cooking oil sold is the larger quantities like the 13 or 18 litre cans in not covered by the government price controls... Does anyone know the facts , yes or no , true or false.

I know that as I wrote before , I was told 1250 bahat for the 13.75 litre can.[approx 91 b/p/l

I do read in this mornings 'The Nation ' that the govt subsidized price is 47 B per litre and as there has been hoarding and prices are increased in some markets to 70 - 75B per litre bottle.

It would seem that the revenooers are going out to visit these price goughers..... maybe..... at least it looks good in the papers

G

25 Litre bottles of water up 25% this week from our supplier. They say that the extra 5 baht is due to the impact of the high price of oil on, get this, the plastic shrink band they use to seal the bottle for delivery. I've bought hundreds of thousands of these in the past and they're probably still priced in satangs but with the pressure on fuel and other staples who can blame them for needing more. Only 5 baht but multiply your weekly spend by these kind of percentages and it really hurts.

With a few notable exceptions, I still maintain that food shopping even in the UK is pretty much as cheap as here if you maintain a varied (read interesting) diet. Mind you, I have done any grocery shopping there for a couple of years so I could be off a bit.

Edited by Greenside

Thighlander are those products you mention and price US domestic produce any imported?

The rice would equate to being about 10 baht more a kilo here for domestic grown, oranges a bit more expenssive and chicken a few baht more per kg

Gonzo

Rice from Thailand, a lot of winter produce is imported from (Northern) Mexico. But keep in mind, minimum wage here is 230 thb per hour NOT DAY.

Edited by Thighlander

25 Litre bottles of water up 25% this week from our supplier. They say that the extra 5 baht is due to the impact of the high price of oil on, get this, the plastic shrink band they use to seal the bottle for delivery. I've bought hundreds of thousands of these in the past and they're probably still priced in satangs but with the pressure on fuel and other staples who can blame them for needing more. Only 5 baht but multiply your weekly spend by these kind of percentages and it really hurts.

With a few notable exceptions, I still maintain that food shopping even in the UK is pretty much as cheap as here if you maintain a varied (read interesting) diet. Mind you, I have done any grocery shopping there for a couple of years so I could be off a bit.

Sadly food prices in England are rising very fast with a 12.5% increase in the last quarter of 2010 alone. We were there for June/July and then again for November/December and it was really noticeable how much prices had increased in between times. When you live in CM for a few years and go back and live at British prices for everything it is a big shock. The price of Electric, Gas, Phones and Water are horrendous and just getting worse every month. That's not even to mention the price of Petrol and Diesel which went up by 15% between our two trips last year. For those who think things in CM are getting expensive; I suggest you go back to your Western home country for a few months and feel the pain of really high prices.

Sadly food prices in England are rising very fast with a 12.5% increase in the last quarter of 2010 alone. We were there for June/July and then again for November/December and it was really noticeable how much prices had increased in between times. When you live in CM for a few years and go back and live at British prices for everything it is a big shock. The price of Electric, Gas, Phones and Water are horrendous and just getting worse every month. That's not even to mention the price of Petrol and Diesel which went up by 15% between our two trips last year. For those who think things in CM are getting expensive; I suggest you go back to your Western home country for a few months and feel the pain of really high prices.

Domestic property rentals and utilities are certainly cheap compared to the UK, food prices are cheap here as long as you keep to buying seasonal locally grown produce, add a litre of olive oil and a box of mont clair wine and a few other luxuries in your shopping basket and see your shopping bill double.

I've been living fairly frugally for the last couple of months and as a family of four we have managed on around 32,000 a month, that excludes school fees and we own our house,I'd be pushing it to survive on less than 100,000 in the UK.

Gonzo

Rice from Thailand, a lot of winter produce is imported from (Northern) Mexico. But keep in mind, minimum wage here is 230 thb per hour NOT DAY.

When you say "here" where is that as I'm assuming Thailand.... and if that is the case then you are definitely wrong as the min wage is per day and will soon go to 250 baht per day

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255308160053

Gonzo

When you say "here" where is that as I'm assuming Thailand.... and if that is the case then you are definitely wrong as the min wage is per day and will soon go to 250 baht per day

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255308160053

The minimum wage differs from province to province, the latest I can find for Chiang Mai is 171 baht.

Here is USA, minimum wage is 7.25 or 220 THB PER HOUR. Just for clarification. And it is higher in certain States. My point was, produce deals are similar to Thailand, but the minimum wage is 8+ x higher. I sure I wouldn't be the first to say there are more beautiful ladies (per capita) in CNX, than anyplace that I know of. FWIW, I am in a food growing region of the US--folks in New yawk and Baston get slaughtered on fresh produce.

I went bulk shopping in Khampaeng Phet yesterday and one item was cooking oil.

BigC, LotusTesco, Makro and the Chinese supermarket had none at all, if Makro did have any it was rationed to 2 bottles per customer.

I eventually found some in the local shops at 60 baht per bottle and bought 2.

Major edible oil producer Morakot Industry Co came under thespotlight yesterday after authorities found it had not used a 1,400-tonnegovernment-issued inventory of palm oil to produce bottled cooking oil despiteacute shortage.

Hoarding and other chargeshad yet to be filed against the company, said Pol Col Narat Savetanun, deputychief of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), who inspected thefirm's factory in Samut Prakan province.

The edible oil shortage hasworsened in the past few months as bottled cooking oil has disappeared from themarket amid rising prices

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/02/20/national/Cooking-oil-firm-faces-DSI-probe-30149054.html

• 3 months later...

Here is something that maybe a few of you would have interest in.....

Comparingn the same item purchased in Muang Mai Mkt or Makro as the case may be for cooking oil and rice.

First the item , then the price paid in 2009 [month of May] then last the price this month

............. 2009........ 2011

Beef.......... 120 bpk / 170 bpk

Pork.......... 105 / 135

Chicken...... 60 / 100

Tomatos...... 8 / 35

Potatos...... 12 / 25

Makro rice 25k...... 380 / 615

" Cook Oil 13.lt....... 465 / 635

Eggs ea................ 2.5 / 3.23

This is trying to take out the seasonality of some products and in both years based on purchase in May of the year

Well for what its worth

G

Please refer to this URL, http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=palm-oil&months=60 for the WORLD price of palm oil. While you're there click on the price of other vegetable oils like bean oil and coconut oil to see where they've been heading for the last 5 years. Nothing is cheap anymore because we are reaching the limit on world food production.

Please refer to this URL, http://www.indexmund...m-oil&months=60 for the WORLD price of palm oil. While you're there click on the price of other vegetable oils like bean oil and coconut oil to see where they've been heading for the last 5 years. Nothing is cheap anymore because we are reaching the limit on world food production.

The limit on world food production is questionable

The inefficient transportation system, trade imbalances, and the US Federal Reserve QE program all contribute to the soaring food prices

Edited by PlanetX

You folks better get seat belts installed in all your chairs if they/you are shaking now. It is very likely going to get a lot worse in the near future years.

It really will get a whole lot worse if Governments and huge Conglomerates don't start thinking about feeding people and stop thinking about profits; which lets face it, isn't going to happen. There is a massive food shortage crisis looming and we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg at the moment. All you Miracle Whip freaks had better get stocked up before it reaches 500 Baht a jar!

• 2 months later...

Been out of the loop for a short time, but coming back into the loop is somewhat shocking.

Anyone have examples of rather sharp increases in food prices.

I did think that the gov't put a price ceiling on eggs a short while back.

Same shop, same size eggs and rack of 30 eggs:

July 1, 11, 95 baht per rack of 30

August 1,11, 98 baht per rack of 30

August 10, 11,105 baht per rack of 30

quite a good percent increase in just 40 days

I also read the other day that the gov't put a ceiling on pork at 170 baht per kilo

Was not too long ago that pork was 80 baht per kilo

Does make it difficult keeping a stable menu price.

On another topic,,,,,,thanks to all who PM'd and posted their kind thoughts and best wishes over the past couple months.... big sincere thank you

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face