The 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme In Thailand

TenCent

Hello Community

does anybody here have comprehensive Knowledge about the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme in Thailand?

What does it cover and how to get full Beenefits of it ?

yesterday, I recieved a call from a Friend - worrying, that his Girlfriend informed him, that her Mother got a Diagnosis, that she has probably Cancer

This Thai Woman lives in a quite remote Area in Thailand - and the local "Hospital", where her previous Visits and Medications have been covered by this mentioned Healthcare Scheme,

she was told, that this local Hospital is unable to treat her further on and directed her to search further Treatment in the big Government Hospital in Korat

Will this Healthcare Scheme cover all Costs of a probably Treatment at this mentioned Hospital?

I think, to get all Informations in such a Case might be important to everyone, as most Farangs here in Thailand are having Thai Partners and will be asked by their Girlfriends to help to cover the Expenses of medical Treatments,

if one of their Family Members is in serious bad Health Conditions

Thanks in Advance for any Post

• Like 1

Moderator you might move this thread to Health forum for best feedback.

OP I would say she will be covered but the proper process must be followed.

The person I know with same health issue had to get referral from her local hospital before going to Korat. I don't remember if she was given a slip of paper or info was entered into computer system but next stop was Korat.

In her case everything was covered with only cost being 30 baht at beginning of process.

"Yes, but...." sums it up. One, like a lot of things here, it may depend on who you are. Patient beds and rooms are always in short supply and I think you'll get the distinct feeling it's not first come first serve. It's not exactly equal in private hospitals either but by the very nature of things, you don't have to worry as much about jockeying for treatments and rooms that cost several hundred thousand to a few million Baht, especially if you're in for an extended period.

You probably shouldn't expect first class treatment in the 30 Baht system either. Lots of waiting at every step of the way, from diagnosis, follow on, more follow on, prelim treatment, treatment, major surgery, etc. We've had some family members who have had to do regular full body PET scans at the National Cyclotron center... a gov't facility that feels more like a private hospital...(a really nifty -albeit mildly radioactive- scan that can pretty much catch/highlight any infection or cancer in your body with a relatively high accuracy rate) to make sure their cancers were still in remission... there are maybe only 4-5 cases that go through for the entire country PER DAY, although there are tens of thousands of cases that probably should be doing follow up on whatever routes of treatment they are on. The cases that do come through are clearly those with titles or some connection to the place and of course cash paying patients from private hospitals. What could be more handy info for your primary care doctor than such a full body 'status report' on your cancer? The reason why this place isn't full of 30 Baht patients though is that each scan costs (the hospital) around 60,000 Baht per scan (there isn't a huge markup since it's a gov't organization with the name of someone special on the front of the building) so they aren't handing these out (not how they like to make a big show of handing out paracetamol to everyone anyway)... the main avenue for follow up remains long queues for old school blood tests, ultrasounds, and of course the old reliable 'I'm starting to feel sick again' litmus test.

My opinion is that one shouldn't always believe all of the political marketing. If you can afford it, go private and do some research and pick the top doctors in your field of illness. Or, go 30 Baht and simply be ready to opt for cash payments for your treatments for some steps along the way (even within the gov't system, paying cash fast tracks you). It's all on the net as who the top docs are, easy enough to find.

:)

Edited by Heng

Dear Thaivisaforum Members

Thank you very much so far for your Contributions to this Thread

Very interesting and usefull, indeed - so it seems the be true, that the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme works well for poor Thaipeople

Interesting to know, that there are about 9 Government Hospitals around Thailand, who are treating Cancer on the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme

And thanks for the Information, that - obviously - the next Step should be the Government Hospital in Korat

I will tell my worried Friend about "asking for a Kind of Slip" from the rural Hospital to be attended at the Government Hospital in Korat

Just in Case, the rural Hospital would refuse to provide the neseccary forwarding Documentation - to whom should be complained to inforce the Transfer on the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme?

"Interesting to know, that there are about 9 Government Hospitals around Thailand, who are treating Cancer on the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme"

That's not what he said.

"Thailand has nine (about) regional cancer centers."

Besides those 9, there are many other govt hospitals that will treat cancer, they just don't specialize in it, and may not be able to offer as much help as the 9 who do.

Just in Case, the rural Hospital would refuse to provide the neseccary forwarding Documentation - to whom should be complained to inforce the Transfer on the 30 Baht Healthcare Scheme?

You would need to file a complaint with the NHSO (http://www.nhso.go.th or just dial 1330) asking why the primary physician refused to forward her case. They would then liase with the hospital to get your questions answered. Remember that the system is overloaded. If the doctors feel they can properly treat her at the local facility, they may not feel it is justified to send her up the food chain. They have to justify their decisions also.

In that case, you accept their decision, or you pay cash to go somewhere else if you don't like it.

The universal healthcare scheme is actually very good. If the cancer is serious, the doctors will do everything within their power to help her. I would wait and see how this develops before making any rash decisions.

The 30 baht scheme covers all major medical problems for Thai citizens, but and it`s a big BUT; a patient will only receive the very basics of medical care.

That includes: the cheapest medications and drugs. For example if a cancer patient is prescribed with lower grade drugs but these are not sufficient for the survival of the patient and requires more expensive medication for life saving treatment, he/she will not receive it, this has to be bought privately for whatever it costs.

Edited by Beetlejuice