Attire Questions

tremoloman

I'm going to be visiting Thailand for a couple of week in late December and will start off in Chiang Mai. Planning on traveling light and buying clothes when I'm in-country;

What kind of clothes would you guys recommend I buy in terms of being comfortable/material, and also fitting in with Thai 20-somethings (would prefer not to look like a tourist :)). Just basic sort of collared/polo shirts? Also, where would be the best place to go shopping for this stuff when I get to Chiang Mai?

Thanks!

You are ALWAYS going to look like a tourist, unless you are already Asian. There are two big malls that offer all types of clothing. Using the square moat as a reference, The Airport plaza is at the south west corner, and Kad Sun Kaeow mall is at the north west corner. There is also China town where most of the Thais do their shopping. There are also the night markets that happen on the weekend. Once here you can ask anyone for directions. There are many English speaking people in Chiang Mai. In fact most thais here speak at least a bit of English.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Tremoloman, and Welcome to Chiang Mai !

Will put some responses on this topic on the similar thread begun by Khun Thaitar titled: "What Clothes to Bring." Hope they are helpful.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I think one can avoid looking like a tourist and at least look like a resident westerner. The key is to dress in the same manner as Thai people of your age and social status. Also, to wear new, well-maintained clothes and to shower (and change your clothes) several times daily. Many tourists seem to "default" to a wardrobe of shorts and tee shirt or to wear recent purchases from the Night Bazaar. Look around Robinson's at Central Airport Plaza. They seem to cater to a younger crowd. You'll probably find the same items cheaper elsewhere, but at least you can see what the styles are like at Robinson's.

I think one can avoid looking like a tourist and at least look like a resident westerner. The key is to dress in the same manner as Thai people of your age and social status. Also, to wear new, well-maintained clothes and to shower (and change your clothes) several times daily. Many tourists seem to "default" to a wardrobe of shorts and tee shirt or to wear recent purchases from the Night Bazaar. Look around Robinson's at Central Airport Plaza. They seem to cater to a younger crowd. You'll probably find the same items cheaper elsewhere, but at least you can see what the styles are like at Robinson's.

You must be joking. :o

55555+ Guessing you don't work!

I think NancyL was right in her intent on changing clothes and what kind of clothes. Coming to Thailand any time of the year and the tourist will sweat! And most of us smell when when we sweat a lot over several hours.

So if you wear a tank top, shorts, spend all day "touristing" and sweating and then go out to eat that night wearing the same clothes.......you will look like and smell like....nuff said....

I had one couple come visit that travel continuously, frequently fly first class, and stay in the top hotels, so I never thought to suggest clothing to them. They showed up with carry-ons only. She was wearing skin tight shorts and a tank top. He wore shorts and a T-shirt. With no checked bags, they had next to nothing else to wear and were not, in my opinion, dressed appropriately for all the places I might have taken them. So I didn't.

So, if you want to kind of not look like a tourist, i.e., dress like middle class Thais, collared shirts and long pants would be best. But even knowing that, nice shorts (not gym shorts) during the day are OK.

IanForbes was right about the 2 malls. Best place, in my opinion, to buy decent clothes at an OK price if you look for the discounted racks (always have them). Walk around the mall and see who is wearing what and what do you think they look like. Then go look for clothes like that.

Of course, you probably have clothes like that already, so accept having luggage, bring it with you, and save money?

Edited by noise

You are ALWAYS going to look like a tourist, unless you are already Asian. There are two big malls that offer all types of clothing. Using the square moat as a reference, The Airport plaza is at the south west corner, and Kad Sun Kaeow mall is at the north west corner. There is also China town where most of the Thais do their shopping. There are also the night markets that happen on the weekend. Once here you can ask anyone for directions. There are many English speaking people in Chiang Mai. In fact most thais here speak at least a bit of English.

Absolutely!

Wear whatever you want as long as it's clean, because I doubt very much that Thai's walk along saying to themselves, "tourist, not a tourist, tourist, not a tourist".

Try getting in to a national park at Thai prices just because you're wearing a suit and tie!