Hanukka

junglechef

... snip ... Mrs Millwall_fan has taken a dislike to all Middle Eastern nosebag ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Millwall_Fan,

What kind of fodder have you got her on now ?

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

There is an introduction to Chanukah at Payap University--Mee Koo campus, on Thursday, December 2nd, at 2:30 p.m at the picnic table area at the Pentecost Bldg. I believe they are giving a little bit of the history, and will have a workshop (?) on making potato latkes. If you are looking for an adult gathering in town PM me.

thanks for friend reply. I also PM'ed you, not sure if you got it because it say you cannot participate???

There is an introduction to Chanukah at Payap University--Mee Koo campus, on Thursday, December 2nd, at 2:30 p.m at the picnic table area at the Pentecost Bldg. I believe they are giving a little bit of the history, and will have a workshop (?) on making potato latkes. If you are looking for an adult gathering in town PM me.

The long running Jerusalem Falafal usually puts on specials for the old 4 by 2 festivals.

What are "4 by 2 festivals"? :unsure:

OK, I'll bite. It's from an ancient language spoken by a select tribe based in England, called the Cockerneese.

Yes, old cockney slang; 4 by 2 = Jew.

The long running Jerusalem Falafal usually puts on specials for the old 4 by 2 festivals.

What are "4 by 2 festivals"? :unsure:

OK, I'll bite. It's from an ancient language spoken by a select tribe based in England, called the Cockerneese.

Too subtle but still good........

... snip ... Mrs Millwall_fan has taken a dislike to all Middle Eastern nosebag ...

Well Khun Orang, like most natives, she likes Somtam and Noodles in regular quantities. She also likes the 'all you can eat' Thai BBQ's. As for non Thai food, she like the Sunday Dimsum in the China Palace Restaurant at the Holiday Inn. Oishi and Shabu Sabu get the thumbs up as well. In the Farang nosebag department she tends toward the old Iti grub. Girasole is a curent fav, as is Sergio (ex Buonisimo's) latest offering 'Pizza e Vino' near Thapae Gate. St Germain des Pres is her favourite French gaff, although Le Terrasse on Loi Kroh is also on her list. Dukes is definately #1 for Yankee food and at last Sunday's Citylife garden party she enjoyed Spicy Bollywood's curry and Woody's excellent chicken kebabs. Of course when it comes ot British & Australian food, she knows there's no beating The Olde Bell British Pub!!!! She should know - she's the Head Chef!!!!

Mrs Millwall_Fan and I both love our 'fodder' and one of the things we both enjoy enormously in Chiang Mai is eating out in the fabulous variety of restaurants we have here!!!

Well Khun Orang, like most natives, she likes Somtam and Noodles in regular quantities. She also likes the 'all you can eat' Thai BBQ's. As for non Thai food, she like the Sunday Dimsum in the China Palace Restaurant at the Holiday Inn. Oishi and Shabu Sabu get the thumbs up as well. In the Farang nosebag department she tends toward the old Iti grub. Girasole is a curent fav, as is Sergio (ex Buonisimo's) latest offering 'Pizza e Vino' near Thapae Gate. St Germain des Pres is her favourite French gaff, although Le Terrasse on Loi Kroh is also on her list. Dukes is definately #1 for Yankee food and at last Sunday's Citylife garden party she enjoyed Spicy Bollywood's curry and Woody's excellent chicken kebabs. Of course when it comes ot British & Australian food, she knows there's no beating The Olde Bell British Pub!!!! She should know - she's the Head Chef!!!!

Mrs Millwall_Fan and I both love our 'fodder' and one of the things we both enjoy enormously in Chiang Mai is eating out in the fabulous variety of restaurants we have here!!!

Well if your going to hijack my post on Hanukka at least it's about food - lol, but how about talking about potato latkes!! Tell the fellow Chef I'll chk out some of her favs

Well if your going to hijack my post on Hanukka at least it's about food - lol, but how about talking about potato latkes!! Tell the fellow Chef I'll chk out some of her favs

Don't be surprised, his antisemitism and bigotry is well documented and he would certainly feel that he has the right to divert this particular thread away from Hannukah.

Edited by uptheos

The long running Jerusalem Falafal usually puts on specials for the old 4 by 2 festivals. i've enjoyed the odd Falafal there myself over the years. Sadly not for a while as Mrs Millwall_fan has taken a dislike to all Middle Eastern nosebag.

MF- literally translated from the cockney slang (you are so inept at).....4X2 = Jew (not Jewish)

So, what exactly is an "Old Jew Festival" and why would someone eat falafel for it on this particular holiday anyway?

I think the OP would be more interested in latkes, jelly filled doughnuts, cheesecake and blintzes etc.

Edited by uptheos

Sorry about that Junglechef - i got carried away with all the talk of food! I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm afraid i can't help you on Potato Latkes! can you link me to a good Hannukka recipe site? I might get the wife and Head Chef to try and make a few for our customers to taste!

Well Khun Orang, like most natives, she likes Somtam and Noodles in regular quantities. She also likes the 'all you can eat' Thai BBQ's. As for non Thai food, she like the Sunday Dimsum in the China Palace Restaurant at the Holiday Inn. Oishi and Shabu Sabu get the thumbs up as well. In the Farang nosebag department she tends toward the old Iti grub. Girasole is a curent fav, as is Sergio (ex Buonisimo's) latest offering 'Pizza e Vino' near Thapae Gate. St Germain des Pres is her favourite French gaff, although Le Terrasse on Loi Kroh is also on her list. Dukes is definately #1 for Yankee food and at last Sunday's Citylife garden party she enjoyed Spicy Bollywood's curry and Woody's excellent chicken kebabs. Of course when it comes to British & Australian food, she knows there's no beating The Olde Bell British Pub!!!! She should know - she's the Head Chef!!!!

Sorry about that Junglechef - i got carried away with all the talk of food! I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm afraid i can't help you on Potato Latkes! can you link me to a good Hannukka recipe site? I might get the wife and Head Chef to try and make a few for our customers to taste!

No of course you didn't - what exactly has British & Australian food cooked by a Thai chef at The Olde Bell, have to do with Hannukah?................................pathetic!!!

Edited by uptheos

Junglechef:

Having checked out a couple of 'Hannuka for Beginners' websites, Head Chef, Beer feels she can master the intricacies of Potato Latkes!! So on Friday evening here at the Olde Bell there will be a FREE BBQ that will not contain any Pork products or shellfish. I'm afaid it wont be Kosher though, but if you are here in Chiang Mai, I guess you've got used to that! So we'll have Beef, Chicken, Burgers, Fish and salads as well as the all important Potato Latkes.

So whether you are Jewish or not, you are every welcome to come along and see what you think of our efforts.

BTW if anyone knows of any other simple recipes that we may be able to master by Friday and which would go with the BBQ do let us know!

Junglechef:

Having checked out a couple of 'Hannuka for Beginners' websites, Head Chef, Beer feels she can master the intricacies of Potato Latkes!! So on Friday evening here at the Olde Bell there will be a FREE BBQ that will not contain any Pork products or shellfish. I'm afaid it wont be Kosher though, but if you are here in Chiang Mai, I guess you've got used to that! So we'll have Beef, Chicken, Burgers, Fish and salads as well as the all important Potato Latkes.

So whether you are Jewish or not, you are every welcome to come along and see what you think of our efforts.

BTW if anyone knows of any other simple recipes that we may be able to master by Friday and which would go with the BBQ do let us know!

Back to the OP, who asks: "Looking to introduce my adopted boys to Hanukka, anything going on?"

This post is more about the Olde Bell advertising their BBQ, a guilty alta ego and a Thai cook experimenting.

What's it to do with introducing boys to Hannukah?

Can't you start your own thread?

Edited by uptheos

uptheos

cheesy.gif

4 other Foods to Serve at a Hanukkah Party

Hanukkah Dough Balls

Hanukkah snacks are prepared by simmering a mixture of apple juice, margarine and flour, which automatically clump up to form a ball. This dough is then combined well with beaten eggs and spooned into the hot oil for forming golden brown puff balls. The Hanukkah dough balls are best relished with a platter of warm honey and chopped nuts, hot marmalade and shredded coconut, cinnamon sugar or hot chocolate sauce.

Marshmallow Dreidels

Prepared by pushing a toothpick or a licorice stick through the marshmallow, which contains a chocolate kiss glued to it by some icing. Dreidels can be iced with letters like gimel, hei, nun, shin and other Hanukkah symbols.

Sufganiyot

A doughnut fried from a batter of sugar, cinnamon, flour, salt, margarine, yeast and egg yolk and filled with jelly, this is one dessert hard to resist when served with a topping of sugar dust.

Hanukkah Brisket

The secret recipe for this heavenly tasting soup is to cook it slow, very slow. So, a slow cooker is best for this recipe, inside which, the onions form the bottom, the garlic comes next, then the combination of red wine vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar make up the third layer and finally goes the beef. The gravy for the brisket is made with water and seasonings.

Information retrieved from http://www.ifood.tv/...-hanukkah-party

Edited by PlanetX

This thread has led to a friday Non-Kosher ("FREE" - thats a Jewish word right?) BBQ with Jewish food - thats pretty good ;)

So in response to the OP, that sounds like a great idea and here is one venue that is interested in supporting those that wish to learn more about Hannukkah The Festival of Lights by sampling some food

We are a family pub Junglechef and you are welcome to bring your adopted boys.

Planet X: FREE might be a Jewish word, but it translates very easily into lots of languages!!

We'll crank up the Barbie at around 7.30pm on Friday. As I said above, if anyone can contribute any Hanukka suitable recipes that aren't too difficult for a Thai chef with Western experience to master, do let us know!

Its seems this thread has got rather off-topic. Some comments seem to be getting out of hand also.

junglechef, or anyone else, if you find the posts offensive, please use the report function and i (or another mod) will prune (i have pruned a couple for going too far, but left the rest for now).

Junglechef, the link provided to Chabad House is not working for me. So I wandered over there and meandered. I think you might find resources there that would meet the case, and arguably, add possibilities to the broadening of your boys' understandings.

All I did was google and add Chiang Mai.

I have to add that I think that a very rapid way to engage a youngster's curiosity is food for some reason. Somewhere in the developing menu above is going to be something memorable for 'em.

Edited by CMX

Junglechef, the link provided to Chabad House is not working for me. So I wandered over there and meandered. I think you might find resources there that would meet the case, and arguably, add possibilities to the broadening of your boys' understandings.

All I did was google and add Chiang Mai.

I have to add that I think that a very rapid way to engage a youngster's curiosity is food for some reason. Somewhere in the developing menu above is going to be something memorable for 'em.

Thanks for the effort, did make latkes last night but what I think really got their attention was presents for 7 days !! I've always loved kids and as a chef often invited them in the kitchen to help, it's amazing how good they are, I think it helps that I trust them even w/ knifes with the proper instruction and supervision, and since they are not intimidated they cook up a storm, have a blast and really feel a sense of accomplishment esp. when everyone eat it all up!!

Junglechef:

If it's not too late here's what I do: I grate potato, squeeze the water out of them mix with beaten eggs (maybe 1egg per #2 potato) and season w/salt and pepper. Panfry in a neutral tasting oil, serve with apple sauce and sour cream. Many recipes call for onion in the mix but I find it burns if it is on the outside.

Thanks for the invite and celebrating the Jewish Holiday! And no worries I'm not kosher as most Jews are not, but like most Jews I like to eat! (don't all cultures say that) .I'll try to make it down.

Junglechef:

If it's not too late here's what I do: I grate potato, squeeze the water out of them mix with beaten eggs (maybe 1egg per #2 potato) and season w/salt and pepper. Panfry in a neutral tasting oil, serve with apple sauce and sour cream. Many recipes call for onion in the mix but I find it burns if it is on the outside.

Thanks for the invite and celebrating the Jewish Holiday! And no worries I'm not kosher as most Jews are not, but like most Jews I like to eat! (don't all cultures say that) .I'll try to make it down.

Many thanks for that and certainly not too late! I'll try making one batch with onion and one without. The recipe i found online said to use peanut oil which I've got. I wouldn't say its neutral tasting, but it smells nice!!