The Definitive 2011 Visa Info Guide?

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a definitive concise guide to getting a visa to stay in Thailand and since there's so much info to trawl through on the forum, sometimes time consuming to find, perhaps members can comment on one or more of the statements below with current, first-hand, info. I will write it all up (as a professional editor and travel guide writer) and repost it later in a concise form.

This would apply primarily to the main expat our tourist groups (Brits, Americans, Aussies, EU citizens) of various ages.

1. 30 day tourist visa on arrival is issued to almost all nationalities since visa fees have been waivered indefinitely to assist tourism.

2. 60 day tourist visa issued at any Thai embassy or Consulate for a small fee (about $10 but varies).

3. Multiple re-entry tourist visa makes it possible to extend to six months (three entries) with a visa run, the more you do this consecutively the more likely your application will be turned down.

4. Visa runs for 30 day extensions are now redundant since land entries are given only 15 days, therefore the three-in-a-row limit and 10,000 baht minimum funds proof is also irrelevant.

5. Non Imm Bs issued at Thai embassies and consulates in most Asian countries are seldom given as ‘multiple’

6. Vientiane is noted to be sticky about paperwork for Non Imm, Penang is also somewhat sticky.

7. Over stay and extensions: 10 days, offered once, extended from the date of application, costing 1900 baht, at local immigration office. Overstay, 500 baht a day, over 20,000 and expect to be detained.

8. Non Imm B visas: Fairly easy to apply for one in some consulates (e.g. Hull, Denver) with flimsy paperwork (job offer on bogus company letterhead), some use this for annual stay.

9. Marriage visas require proof that 400,000 baht has been in your Thai account continuously for at least three months prior to application, or proof that you are earning minimum 40,000 baht a month, marriage cert, generally lots of paperwork and proof of cohabitation.

10. Retirement visas: over 55, proof that 400,000 baht has been in your Thai account continuously for at least three months prior to application, or proof that you are receiving minimum 40,000 baht a month in pension or stipend. Generally hassle free process.

11. Business visa: what are the requirements to apply for one of these.

12. Permanent residence: 195,000 fee, 5,000 baht non-refundable application fee, small quota per nationality granted per year, must achieve (in theory) certain proficiencies (thai language), lengthy process taking several years to get ‘signed off’.

Much appreciated.

Curious, no Reply button on the OP's post.

"1. 30 day tourist visa on arrival is issued to almost all nationalities since visa fees have been waivered indefinitely to assist tourism."

That's usually not a visa at all, but visa exempt. Same as crossing the border, either by air or land, and getting more time - that's not on a visa, but visa exempt.

"10. Retirement visas: over 55, proof that 400,000 baht has been in your Thai account continuously for at least three months prior to application, or proof that you are receiving minimum 40,000 baht a month in pension or stipend. Generally hassle free process. "

I do not have, nor ever have had, nor have any plans to ever have that amount of money in my Thai bank account. I got my retirement visa at a home country consulate by showing that I've got investments of greater than that amount, and they generate an income greater than required (from income tax information).

Edit [added info] and it's not 55 years of age, but 50

That's only two of the items. Lots of work needed on all of them.

Edited by JusMe

Agree with posts 2, 3 & 4.

Never seen so many factual errors in one post.

And that's saying something, considering some of the posts made here!

All readers, take Lopburi3's sage advice:

"Please do not read any of the above information as fact. ....."

1. 30 day tourist visa on arrival is issued to almost all nationalities since visa fees have been waivered indefinitely to assist tourism.

>> Its not a visa, but a visa waiver stamp, and nothing to do with visa fees, and there are limited nationalities that can enter using this process

2. 60 day tourist visa issued at any Thai embassy or Consulate for a small fee (about $10 but varies).

>> 60 day tourist visas are currently free until March 2011 (I think that is the date)

4. Visa runs for 30 day extensions are now redundant since land entries are given only 15 days, therefore the three-in-a-row limit and 10,000 baht minimum funds proof is also irrelevant.

>> There is technically no limit to the number of land (or air) entries, and visa runs are still common.

7. Over stay and extensions: 10 days, offered once, extended from the date of application, costing 1900 baht, at local immigration office. Overstay, 500 baht a day, over 20,000 and expect to be detained.

>> Some extensions are 7 days, some 1 year, depends on the visa/stamp. Over 45 days expect to be detained, although possible on any overstay.

8. Non Imm B visas: Fairly easy to apply for one in some consulates (e.g. Hull, Denver) with flimsy paperwork (job offer on bogus company letterhead), some use this for annual stay.

>> What you are stating is illegal (bogus company letterhead)

9. Marriage visas require proof that 400,000 baht has been in your Thai account continuously for at least three months prior to application, or proof that you are earning minimum 40,000 baht a month, marriage cert, generally lots of paperwork and proof of cohabitation.

10. Retirement visas: over 55, proof that 400,000 baht has been in your Thai account continuously for at least three months prior to application, or proof that you are receiving minimum 40,000 baht a month in pension or stipend. Generally hassle free process.

>> Completely wrong. Search the forum as its all there.

Here is a useful resource:http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2637.php

Plus the stickies at the top of this forum, and various forum entries.

Edited by Guest

For a start retirement ext.bt800,000 is required to be in your Thai bank for Three months (not bt 400,000)

Thanks but the whole idea of this post was to get correct facts, so if something is partly incorrect please do correct it, as you well know this forum is full of contradictory information since the immigration offices tend to apply the rules differently.

It is a very good idea except the word "definitive". A lot of Immigration Officers Interpret the laws differently with the exception of retirement visas. I think the government has at last realised the value of these types of visas and given instructions to the Immigration department to process them without hassle. The requirements are very clear and simple and if you abide by them you will never have any problems.

Marriage visas cause the most problems as they do in many countries. Because some foreigners marry locals in order to be able to stay in the country. Those with work permits and tourists wanting to stay long periods often have trouble too.

So any guide to immigration should simply be a "Guideline" certainly not definitive.

• 1 month later...

I have a flight back to australia booked for 3rd febuary and need to do one more voa 15days,i have three 15 day voa will they knock me back for a 4th? reason i ask is i drive to the border by car and park,if i get knocked back i have a problem returning the car,thanks in advance nev

I have a flight back to australia booked for 3rd febuary and need to do one more voa 15days,i have three 15 day voa will they knock me back for a 4th? reason i ask is i drive to the border by car and park,if i get knocked back i have a problem returning the car,thanks in advance nev

Do you have a VOA or are you on a visa exempt entry?)

Normally no, but entry is always up to the immigration officer. He can question you about the reason of your stay and if not satisfied deny you entry. But as said, that is normally not done. (

Just take the ticket with you to show that you will leave on the 7th.

Do you have a VOA or are you on a visa exempt entry?)

Normally no, but entry is always up to the immigration officer. He can question you about the reason of your stay and if not satisfied deny you entry. But as said, that is normally not done. (

Just take the ticket with you to show that you will leave on the 7th.

I got knocked back for my last tourist visa in vientiane so since then i have come back via nong khai 3 x 15 day entry visa i have one more 15 day before i head back,i have heard stories of only 3 will not give a 4th as i am driving there would be a big problem for me to get the car back.