Buying A Domain Name

Hikage

Be careful buying that "cheap" domain name. Some of those supposedly cheap services ending up charging a lot to transfer the domain. Next thing you know you are the prisoner of a high priced hosting service.

Edited by mouse

I've bought several domain names through Namecheap.

It's better not to buy your domain name through a webhost, for the reasons given by Mouse. A good domain service like Namecheap or GoDaddy makes it very easy for you to switch the DNS if you change your host.

Edited by Tarragona

www.godaddy.com seems the best for a basic website and cheap too.

Just put your thinking cap on, come up with a name and see if it is availble for you to buy.

AVOID GoDaddy.COM at all COSTS !!! THEY ARE A COMPLETE SCAM.

Unless you don't mind being charged twice for the same service etc...

VERY BAD customer service, mostly clueless.

And they AREN'T CHEAP eitheir !!!

tons of them out there for a better deal.

Be careful buying that "cheap" domain name.  Some of those supposedly cheap services ending up charging a lot to transfer the domain.  Next thing you know you are the prisoner of a high priced hosting service.

Exactly, and GoDaddy is one of them. A complete scam. Only clueless/ignorant/incompetent suckers Hostmaster or Webmaster would use them.

There are a lot of companies out there with a better deal and GoDaddy is definitely not cheap.

Gandy is also a good choice. Register, NetSol are all over priced but at least they will not Scam you like Go Daddy. EasyDNS is also a good choice but over priced.

OpenSrs is probably the best.

definitely godaddy.com, i recommend AGAINST directnic.com (support takes at least 3 days for *any* inquiry).

Not sure what happened to you... I've been using directnic for over 5 years, registered nearly a hundred names, transferred names in and out, never once had any issues. My domain is always in DNS within 12 to 24 hours. Their free hosting options are reliable and reasonable as well.

definitely godaddy.com, i recommend AGAINST directnic.com (support takes at least 3 days for *any* inquiry).

Not sure what happened to you... I've been using directnic for over 5 years, registered nearly a hundred names, transferred names in and out, never once had any issues. My domain is always in DNS within 12 to 24 hours. Their free hosting options are reliable and reasonable as well.

P agree. Never a sad experience there. Prompt replies too. We have to report it as we find it :o

I've heard that GoDaddy's webhosting is rather crap but for their service for registering domain names only is good - never used them, so can anyone make it clear which GoDaddy services are being referred to.

I reg with godaddy and host with 3ix.

I sacked Directnic for dud service 5 years ago.

I've heard that GoDaddy's webhosting is rather crap but for their service for registering domain names only is good - never used them, so can anyone make it clear which GoDaddy services are being referred to.

They suck in their DNS service already (the easy part), I can't see how they could do better with their hosting service.

Their interface is clumsy, not user friendly and full of inconsistencies. A total nightmare. They must have used Indians to design their terrible interface. The whole site is a scam. overcharging twice services we never asked or used. Only returned the money once for our refund. I had to trick their stupid system to "move" from their registrar as they did everything impossible to move out from their terrible service.

Maybe ok for amateurs, but not for professionals. Definitely not for professionals.

The shed has got you Squire  :D  Even Khun George uses DirectNic and he wouuldn't pay 10 baht to see an earthquake :D

When I had "yourname.com" for sale, directnic messed me around for 4 months, in the end I sold it privately to a co. in Fl. for double the price I offered it to dnic.

In a way I'm glad they did mess around..... :o

Have to agree with the anti GoDaddy sentiment, their support is shocking and has anyone tried to transfer a domain from them? Its probably easier to invite Osama round for tea and get a response.

NetworkSolutions or Registryrocket have always been my prefered domain registrants. I would personally avoid "free hosting" if you want anything near to what you would call a professional website.

Edited by buksida

Update: Ok it seems that one of the mods here got upset I was NEGATIVE on GoDaddy and had to PM me to tell me that I behaved badly for warning other users into that scam.

Not sure why ? maybe he works for GoDaddy or maybe GoDaddy is one the sponsor of this site or maybe he is one of the suckers who got scammed and don't like to be reminded publicly that GoDaddy is a scam. Who knows. But using mod power to tell others what to think or to restrict members from giving advice, is for me highly questionable. That person clearly shouldn't be a mod. He obviously took my negative warnings very personally.

:o

Strange, isn't ?

Edited by Butterfly

My sites are registered with godady and never had a problem with them. It's true you have to have a degree to wade through their userinterface though :o

Their billing was always correct, they send me a reminder 1 month and 1 week before one of my names expire, I pay withh CC and everything is fine...

I always use no-ip.com.

This is actually a DNS service but they can do the domain registration as well.

They offer extra functionalities like mail pop + forwarding. But the most convenient for me was to be able to easily add/change dns entries.

It depends on what you need of course. I already have webservers and i don't want to have dns servers and mailservers to maintain.

Have to agree with the anti GoDaddy sentiment,  their support is shocking and has anyone tried to transfer a domain from them? Its probably easier to invite Osama round for tea and get a response.

NetworkSolutions or Registryrocket have always been my prefered domain registrants. I would personally avoid "free hosting" if you want anything near to what you would call a professional website.

Well, I had a lot of dealings with NetSol when they had a monopoly on regos and even now they are still unbeleveably(sp) arrogant.

I would avoid Network Solutions like the plague.

Butterfly, I think you just endeared yourself to all the Mods 55555555

Do you know what a PM means :o