Recommendations For A Good Tailor

DeDanan

There must be a few out there that do decent work.

My Indian Tailor friend says they are pretty much all the same.

Just taking measurments and seeing how much the client is willing to pay.

Smooth talkers.

The actual work is probably being done in some back Soi by teenage seemstresses.

The reason there are so many shops around is, they all make money.

1,500bht is the most it costs them to make a suit.

Smooth talkers.

The actual work is probably being done in some back Soi by teenage seemstresses.

My first trip to BKK was for work and I had my suit on me.

Nothing special, then exchange rate it was about 12K Baht in Oz(with 3 pairs of trousers).

Walked into several shops asking them to make a copy of it.

They all could - at the price of 14K baht. One said 16K! The reason being - they would have to import the materials. So did Australian factory that made it, how comes Thailand is more expensive? They also told me it may take 10 days+. They simply did not want my business even if I agreed to the price.

I am wondering what's the quality of the materials used for those "deals".

Now, many people say the front shops are only for measure taking...the work is done centrally in sweat hangars in the suburbs.

IMO, unless you are a non-confectional type, no need to even look at them.

If you have to, almost any will do, take what's mentioned in previous posts.

Just look for "Tailor of the Year" sticker on the window and make sure it's not for 2006 or beyond. :o

Tanika near Asoke intersection is OK. Believe they made a dress for Margaret Thatcher (saw a picture in shop). A minute walk from BTS Asoke station (southwest exit, to the direction of Sheraton Hotel), next to DVD station. Parking at Times Square next to Sheraton.

Edited by Nordlys

A group of us affilliated with the US embassy use Rajah tailors near Sukhumvit Soi 4. The trick with many tailors is to have great fabric samples but make the end product out of some really poor quality stuff. Do a search here and read some of the horror stories about top quality cheap, look good on you.

Rajahs has two stores at Soi 4. Jesse is in a small shop right next to the Landmark hotel. Bobby is right next to the entrance of NEP. I think Jesse's place is called Rajawongse. Great quality, consistent pricing, on time delivery and even if they dont sew the stuff, they at least know how to measure and fit.

If you buy cheap, you get cheap, its a simple as that.

I recommend Manhattan Tailors on Rama IV. Speak to Prakash.

Huge range, excellent quality material. Brand name material available and high quality leather. They make shoes, belts, wallets, bags etc as well.

Non pushy sales and drinks while you make your selection. They have plenty of pictures already and insist on fitings during the tailoring process.

I have used them many times and recommended others and have no complaints.

If you happen to be there around Thai New Year, go to the Thai Factory.

Excellent quality normally not available to the general public. Pictures of celebrities they have catered for are displayed on their walls. These include various soccor teams and movie stars.

Hi All,

I am looking to get a good tailor made suit on my next trip to BKK, have you got any recommendations for a good tailor.

Regards,

DeDanan.

I am told in Thailand that most of the cost of a suit (or dress even) is in the materials, not the labour. So it depends on what you want -- silk, mohair etc or wool or whatever

so you save only on labour costs in Thailand. the cloth is usually imported. Maybe in the west labour costs are a big part of the cost

so use a good tailor (as recommended here) and be careful

Get imported fabrics from a reputatable brand. Don't get Indian or Thai fabrics. By the way Rajas on Soi 4 are dreadful. I don't know why the US embassy crowd still go there. Cheap indian fabrics with huge cotton wool shoulder pads. Shirts have stiff cardboard in the collars. Probably looks ok Ahmedabad but won't cut the mustard in the west.

As I've said before on different threads go to a western tailor like Embassy Tailors and choose fabrics from somewhere like Valentino or Gian Franco Ferre and make as many adjustments as possible until you are absolutely satisfied.

Smooth talkers.

And that's why most old hands give Indian tailors a wide berth.

Narin Couture on Sukhumvit between soi 10 and 12. The facade of his shop is all teak or is it mahogany? Anyways I think he does good work. Wherever you end up take a look at one of your suits and slacks and note the buttons and hooks and their location and be sure you are getting the same. Some of these guys will leave out a button or two just to save a satang or three, crazy fkrs. Also ask to look at their selection of buttons, nothing more discouraging than a nice suit with cheap ass buttons.