1-2 Weeks In Chiang Mai *Advice*

globalhopkinations

My Fiance and I are planing a week or 2 in chaing mai for christmas / new years time frame, I've bee doing some looking on some atv, 4x4 tours I thought I see one (2-3 nights trip) that went up in the mountains and did some off road touring drive our selves waterfalls, hot spring, Mae Hong, Karen village, stop for elephant ride, beautifull mountain views, and I've seen some tours that make comment about visiting the golden triangle too not in these orders obviously. Does anybody have any recommendations for something like this. And any experiences doing something like this?

These are some of the places i've been looking at

chiangmai-xcenter.com atv-chiangmai-tours.com atvontour.com extremesportscafe.com chiangmaiadventure.co.th thanaadventure.com greenearthadventure.in.th

Weather in Chiang Mai now, referring to water for the waterfalls and in the mountains.....

A friend of mine stayed at the sukantara cascade and resort speaks very highly of it, it seems very nice and picturesque but also very pricey, after seeing the fact Angelina Jolie is on there home page I possibly see why with there marketing. Have any of you been there and have any experienced opinions for me?

Also what can we expect for new years in Chiang Mai, fireworks party..... Were trying to decide on spending new years Chiang Mai or going to Bangkok as New years will be the last few days of our vacation.

Not sure if this is better in the Chiang Mai or in the travel forum but I'll start here. Thank you for any advice

Hello, OP "whatever your name is". (I'm sorry, English is my native language so I can't figure out your screen name) Like you, I first came to Chiang Mai as a young person on holiday (vacation) and eventually retired here.

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies from the "regulars" on this forum. Many of us live here year round (throughout the year) or for several months of the year, so we don't visit resorts or particpate in adventure activities. Lord knows, we haven't seen Angelia Jolie eating som tam at our local streetside "cafe". (Although, I think I did see Kate Winslet once two years ago at my nail salon!) You would receive more helpful replies if you let us know more about yourself, age, interests and general fitness level.

Also, you would receive more replies if you broke your questions down into smaller chunks and posted several threads using headings and subheadings that are very descriptive , i.e, "best 2 - 3 day ATV adventure for young couple", "Weather in the mountains in December" (this topic has been covered before; use the "search function". The summary is: bring a light fleece jacket) "Sukantara Cascade and Resort: is it worth the the price?" and "New Year's Celebrations: Chiang Mai or Bangkok"

Chiang Mai is both a very large province and a city. The two are very different. The first few times I came to "Chiang Mai" as a tourist I spent much time riding around in vans going to all the tourist locations -- elephant parks, orchid farms, handicraft factories, hilltribe villages. I never really got to know Chiang Mai: the City. Eventually Hubby and I came for a month, stayed in a serviced apartment and lived like the local expats. Only then did we come close to experiencing the "real" Chiang Mai.

The people on this forum aren't travel agents and very few of us are copy editors (you just received some free copy editing in case you didn't notice!) We welcome visitors, so please consider some new posts with specific questions.

Maybe one reason the OP hasn't received any answers from The Regulars, Nancy is that in a slightly ramlbing post he poses various questions then seems to answer them himself.

I'll have a go at replying to a couple of points:

The weather here at the moment is perfect: Warm days, coolish evenings, blue skies and hardly any rainfall.

There will be fireworks and parties in almost every bar and restaurant in Chiang Mai and, of course its better than Bangok: Everything in Chiang Mai is better than Bangkok!! (well I suppose they do have soi Cowboy!)

All the things you propose doing are things that Chiang Mai does well and, as you have summised already there are lots of alternative companies offering packagers including all the things you want.

If you could ask a few more specific answers, I'm sure the locals will give you some specific answers!

Ok sorry guys now that I'm reading this I've realized the pine cone party liquor has effected the words that came out of my fingers late last night. Nancy in answer to your questions my fiance and I are 29-30ish, active good health, and English i my first language also (aside from last night). Our interests include some motor sports and other outdoor activities, along with some getting tanked up from time to time(IE: outdoor adventure fun, romantic, party). Also my screen name is a collaboration or my last name and the fact I've traveled and love traveling all over the world. My apologies. So what I meant to ask is as follows:

1. Is there anybody out there that has done any of these 4x4 atv mountain tours?

2. Has the recent flooding I've heard about potentially affected any of the mountain roads or trails; for better or worse?

3. Has anyone stayed at the Sukantara Cascade and Resort and if so what are your opinions?

4. I get the hint about the festivities for New Years in town there will be fireworks and party..... most likely less crowded than big city Bangkok sounds good thanks.

Not trying to imply anyone here is a travel agent just looking to get others experience on things.

Edited by globalhopkinations

• 1 month later...

Hi, I see I missed commenting before your trip, so I'll post for others. Thailand was fantastic! If you're looking for things to do, you can build your itinerary with activities with or without a tour guide. I tried to blend mine, for example, with elephant rides and bamboo rafting on my own, and a local guide to explain the history of Buddhist temples, etc. You really get a fuller experience. Here's a good article about activities you might want to try if you only have a week or so for your trip. http://www.weescribb...ng-mai-thailand

Hope that helps. Cheers!