Killing The Golden Goose

torasap

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fro what I've seen, loaning money over here and not charging a 30-percent monthly interest rate (with interest being collected on a daily basis) is akin to being overcharged/dual-pricing (not getting a product for the standard price) -- after that, one usually won't command any respect :rolleyes: .

I suggest you follow the old adage,"Loaning money to a friend is the quickest way to ruin a friendship."

Leave the money lending to the dodgy loansharks and financial institutions.

Edited by somchaismith

Just for clarification, you're not talking about all Thais. You're talking specifically about your wife's family, or your wife's sister. It would make more sense if you were to suggest that your wife's sister is greedy and stupid and foolish, and maybe that your wife's entire family is like this, including her, and maybe you were stupid to marry her....which would make more sense than asking "how can (all) Thais be so stupid to ruin things for themselves...." when this really has nothing to do with the average Thai-at-large.

Dissagree entirely---this IS majority of Thais, I have been here 31 years, this is widespread, this is the norm, If you ==as you said, you think these stealers are a minority---get around more--rural--mix with rural people,, but city people can be the same. Have you blinkers on--or in denial. The only thing I aggree with you on is NOT ALL THAIS..there are some fantastic people out there---but be on your guard.

Right on the nail head!!! it's everywhere! always be on your toes......now, to figure out how to relax and do that at the same time is another story I can not seem to figure out!

i have, i enjoy what thailand has to offer and stay as far away from most thais as i can. B)

i have, i enjoy what thailand has to offer and stay as far away from most thais as i can. B)

But that is ALMOST, but not quite, a contradiction. One of Thailands most enjoyable pastimes is dealing with the Thais on an intimate basis. You just have to stay away from "buying" anything and just use the rentals. Rent is cheap, food is cheap, beaches are nice, water is warm, and their's enough nature to get away from the hustle and bustle of urban life. Oh, and comparitively speaking, the bars are more fun than bars in other countries.

You're talking about the English, right..?

I'm most certainly talking about human beings in general ;-)

Then I stand corrected.

To cdnvic, appreciate much your discretion.

I agree, well moderated - this topic is worthy of discussion and whilst it will focus on some of the cultural aspects of Thais, it need not be a Thai-bashing thread. I think we alll know of examples where people (often Thais :)) if they have 100 baht they spend 100 Baht, if they have 20,000 Baht they spend 20,000 Baht.

Um ! Or $2,000,000, or 20,000,000- or $2 billion - I dont think this applies only to Thais. Look at teh Us - has been living on credit for years,, Credit cards were offered willy nilly by lenders, people signed up and spent the money ? How were they going to repay it ? Dont think anyone ever asked the question. people are people- in the main, give them money and they spend it.

But that is ALMOST, but not quite, a contradiction. One of Thailands most enjoyable pastimes is dealing with the Thais on an intimate basis. You just have to stay away from "buying" anything and just use the rentals. Rent is cheap, food is cheap, beaches are nice, water is warm, and their's enough nature to get away from the hustle and bustle of urban life. Oh, and comparitively speaking, the bars are more fun than bars in other countries.

Ian, i think we are saying the same thing, enjoy what thailand has to offer and stay away from the rest. ;)

I think you mean Thai ladies there Ian .... the guys can go take a hike........

I think you're missing maaccaroni man's point.

Putting aside 'intimate' contact.... (of which I have no experience :)), I too love Thailand but stay out of the way of Thais as far as I can.

Don't get me wrong, I know a few Thais (4/5) that I like v much and trust (and hope they feel the same way about me!), but have no real 'relationship' with them as we are so different in pretty much everything.

I've learned to live with the way I now think twice about everything I'm told (by farangs as well as Thais!) and don't really trust anyone until I've known them for quite a while.

Its unfortunate as I used to have the opposite viewpoint in the UK - I believed everything everyone told me (unless I picked up 'bad vibes' from them), until I had reason to disbelieve them.