Buying My First Car

OxfordWill

yikes. Suddenly the fortuner isn't looking that bad. If I had the funds, I'd still go for the PajeroSport, but unfortunately it's just marginally out of my price range.

Thanks for all the advice. I now really have some tough decisions.

Any comments on how fuel efficient the fortuner is around bangkok?

yikes. Suddenly the fortuner isn't looking that bad. If I had the funds, I'd still go for the PajeroSport, but unfortunately it's just marginally out of my price range.

A used Pajero Sport of the same vintage as Fortuner sells for less (and was cheaper new too), they're just much harder to find than used Fortuners as Pajero Sport sales really only started ramping up in 2010. There will be some cheaper (older) Fortuners out there though, as the model has been around since November 2004 (Pajero Sport first came out in August 2008).

As for fuel efficiency, expect around 6-8 KM/L in the city, and 10-12KM/L on the highway for a 3.0L Fortuner that's a few years old.

A used Pajero Sport of the same vintage as Fortuner sells for less (and was cheaper new too), they're just much harder to find than used Fortuners as Pajero Sport sales really only started ramping up in 2010. There will be some cheaper (older) Fortuners out there though, as the model has been around since November 2004 (Pajero Sport first came out in August 2008).

As for fuel efficiency, expect around 6-8 KM/L in the city, and 10-12KM/L on the highway for a 3.0L Fortuner that's a few years old.

My 2005 Fortuner 3,0d 4x4 auto managed 8 km/L in the city and at 140-160kmh on highway. Approx 10% more than Vigo, due to full time 4x4 and dual aircons

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, but, um, why isn't anyone talking about insurance?

If you buy on financing, don't you have to carry something like collision insurance? And in any case, don't you need something like liability insurance?

Plenty of threads about Insurance, and a separate Insurance Forum

3rd class covers liability, but be aware different Insurances have different covers, a good one is 10 x 1mill baht = 10 mill baht pluss others vehicle value by choise

1st class covers in addition your own car, but usually not more than 80% of purchase price

basic comprehensive Insurance covers close to nothing