Buying My First Car

OxfordWill

Hello fine members of the Thaivisa motor forum,

I have driven in Thailand previously, but I have never owned a car here, nor purchased one. I am embarrassingly ignorant of cars, engines, brands, etc..

I have been looking now to buy one, and my main consideration is price. I've been looking on many thai second hand websites and frankly, the whole experience is terrifying.

You see "cars" which are over a decade old, with more mileage than the sum of denizens of Nana plaza, with bits hanging off, going for 200 000 Baht.

For some reason it seems 4x4s are cheaper on average than other cars of the same age. Could this be due to consumption? I found some suzuki vitaras which are not too old, not too expensive (I guess).

If anyone had any advice for where I might find a reliable car, how much I should be paying, or even a specific model/place/anything to advise me on, I would be most appreciative.. perhaps buying used here is a stupid idea?

Sorry for the open ended question.

There are many knowledgeable members on this motoring forum who will be along shortly to answer your questions.

An English friend of mine is currently teaching in Ayuthaya has just self taught himself to drive in an ol banger, despite being over 40 never got around to it in UK.

Now he has a Thai licence and recently went into the Honda dealer and bought a new Honda Jazz auto placing down 30% deposit.

Pleased as punch with himself and now is gaining confidence by bombing down the Route 32 everyday commuting to work.

Thanks. I really don't mind as to preferred ride. I enjoyed my time driving a CRV in Indonesia. But really, I'd buy a horse and carriage to get from A to B if it was practical.

Nice story phutoie2. I suppose the done thing is to pay a downpayment and monthly payments, much like mortgages. I suppose this lets you leverage your money. I just don't enjoy debt at all. Perhaps that's what has to be done though.

Edited by OxfordWill

I bought a second car (Honda City 2006 top model) and saved app. 200K compared to a new and never regretted it. I don't think I will ever buy a new car here, why? I am only driving max 10K km pr year and the likelihood of small dents & scratches's are quite big.

Yes it is a minefield to buy a used car here so be extremely careful, but you can buy approved second hand cars from Toyota and other companies can check the car for you for a fee.

Best to buy something that are sold in large numbers here, cheap spare parts and everybody can fix it if necessary.

Thanks. I really don't mind as to preferred ride. I enjoyed my time driving a CRV in Indonesia. But really, I'd buy a horse and carriage to get from A to B if it was practical.

Nice story phutoie2. I suppose the done thing is to pay a downpayment and monthly payments, much like mortgages. I suppose this lets you leverage your money. I just don't enjoy debt at all. Perhaps that's what has to be done though.

Nissan March base model with Aircon 375k baht

Suzuki Carry still cheapest pickup at 350k? baht

Chevy Colorado diesel pickup 399k baht

If you are close to BKK, Motorshow is on and easy to purchase there. Expect 50% downpayment for farang if finance is desired and you do not have Thai credit rating

i am also looking to buy a car now and just like you have same thoughts.

From my experience, first thing to watch is mileage. Higher mileage means problems-irrespective of age.

The 4x4 pick ups are cheaper because i think the tax is less on them, especially the 2 doors ones.

Of course when money is not an issue, brand new is always nicer. With prices i find it crazy.

Say Izuzu Dmax brand new start from 479K, yet there old ones are being sold for 600K.

From what i have gathered, some people sell the car not for the price its worth but the price they paid for it with interest.

As many have bought on finance so the car the cost 500k, cost them 700K(example) so they want to sell it for 600K.This was confirmed by 2 of my Thai employees(so i guess it might be the case)

I do have some questions i like to ask, so hope you do not mind i join in on your thread, and i think the answers will be useful for you also

1. is there a way to check of the car is stolen or under finance prior to buying?(being second hand, private)

2. If the car is under the finance, what rights do i have as a new owner? ie in Oz if i buy a car which is under the finance, the original owner must pay off the car in full before i can legally own it

3. Is it better? cheaper or safer? to buy from the dealers or private? Back in the West, again OZ as example, everyone knows that dealer cars are usually a rip off and far from being decent cars, unless buying from official dealer.(ie toyota or alike)

4. Papers to signs, are they same as bike?

5. Is there a website or possibly an insurance guidelines which put a value on the car? Example: Honda City 2007 model market value would be xxxxx and insurance would value it either the same or xxxx amount.

From my experience, first thing to watch is mileage. Higher mileage means problems-irrespective of age.

The 4x4 pick ups are cheaper because i think the tax is less on them, especially the 2 doors ones.

Of course when money is not an issue, brand new is always nicer. With prices i find it crazy.

Say Izuzu Dmax brand new start from 479K, yet there old ones are being sold for 600K.

From what i have gathered, some people sell the car not for the price its worth but the price they paid for it with interest.

As many have bought on finance so the car the cost 500k, cost them 700K(example) so they want to sell it for 600K.This was confirmed by 2 of my Thai employees(so i guess it might be the case)

I do have some questions i like to ask, so hope you do not mind i join in on your thread, and i think the answers will be useful for you also

1. is there a way to check of the car is stolen or under finance prior to buying?(being second hand, private)

2. If the car is under the finance, what rights do i have as a new owner? ie in Oz if i buy a car which is under the finance, the original owner must pay off the car in full before i can legally own it

3. Is it better? cheaper or safer? to buy from the dealers or private? Back in the West, again OZ as example, everyone knows that dealer cars are usually a rip off and far from being decent cars, unless buying from official dealer.(ie toyota or alike)

5. Is there a website or possibly an insurance guidelines which put a value on the car? Example: Honda City 2007 model market value would be xxxxx and insurance would value it either the same or xxxx amount.

0. While there may be people who advertize cars for more than what they paid, unless it's a classic there's no way they'll get it :)

1. The blue book (Tabien Rot) - if ti's under finance the financier will be holding it and the owner will only have a photocopy.

2. Again, the blue book. If you've got it, the car is yours.

3. Same as the west. Some dodgy dealers, some not, some factory approved used (Toyota Sure, Chevy OK), but best prices are (potentially) buying private.

4. Not much to it, it's all about the book. You'll need the same things such as ID/License and statement of address.

5. Best bet to get an idea for the market will be the 50 Baht car magazines (e.g. Rot Wanee (car today)) availabel at 7/11. If serious about buying, a 100 Baht Redbook valuation will be more specific/accurate: https://www.redbooka...p?lang=en&cc=th

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Even this can be a bit meh, My Colorado, when we went to transfer to my name it was discovered there was two black Colorado's purchased on the same day from Chverolet Pattaya and registered.

The book to mine whilst clearly printed and matched the details of the person who bought the vehicle new (Iam second owner) the actual card (matched to my number plate) at the LTD had the details of the other person and vehicle...fookin nightmare that took 2 months to sort out.

I now have a re-issued book that is correct in detail in my name...phew !!

0. While there may be people who advertize cars for more than what they paid, unless it's a classic there's no way they'll get it :)

1. The blue book (Tabien Rot) - if ti's under finance the financier will be holding it and the owner will only have a photocopy.

3. Same as the west. Some dodgy dealers, some not, some factory approved used (Toyota Sure, Chevy OK), but best prices are (potentially) buying private.

4. Not much to it, it's all about the book. You'll need the same things such as ID/License and statement of address.

5. Best bet to get an idea for the market will be the 50 Baht car magazines (e.g. Rot Wanee (car today)) availabel at 7/11. If serious about buying, a 100 Baht Redbook valuation will be more specific/accurate: https://www.redbooka...p?lang=en&cc=th

Thank you, excellent info

Expect 50% downpayment for farang if finance is desired and you do not have Thai credit rating

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but without a work permit there will be no finance option for foreign buyers.

I have never had a work permit, and on my third car financed in my name. 25% down on a 4x4 Vigo, less on cars.

50% down and a 6 months thai bank history with sufficient funds, all good

Moonriver, sorry to bother, one more question. Are there any Toyota sure dealers in or around Pattaya? that you may know

None in Pattaya/Chonburi, but plenty of them up the road in BKK:

http://www.toyotasur...ler/dealer.aspx

Expect 50% downpayment for farang if finance is desired and you do not have Thai credit rating

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but without a work permit there will be no finance option for foreign buyers.

Depends on lender. Honda leasing approved a foreigner friend on a retirement visa with 50% down, some lenders have no problem financing without WP if married to a Thai national etc. Most foreigner-friendly car lenders appear to be Siam Commercial Bank, Thanachart and Bank of Ayudyah (Car 4 Cash).

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Moonriver, sorry to bother, one more question. Are there any Toyota sure dealers in or around Pattaya? that you may know

None in Pattaya/Chonburi, but plenty of them up the road in BKK:

http://www.toyotasur...ler/dealer.aspx

Depends on lender. Honda leasing approved a foreigner friend on a retirement visa with 50% down, some lenders have no problem financing without WP if married to a Thai national etc. Most foreigner-friendly car lenders appear to be Siam Commercial Bank, Thanachart and Bank of Ayudyah (Car 4 Cash).

No WP, not married, still on my 3rd financed car in my name :D can confirm Tanachart and GE/Ayudhya are friendly

Appears Honda and Toyota leasing have become more friendly past 6 months, as I have friends in same position recently financed with them. and finally they want to do Phuket cars :)

Will, there is no reason you should take on a debt if you don't want. I have bought cars here for cash with no problem at all. Its easy, and clean and clear. With a new car, or nearly new, you won't get MUCH discount. but you can buy what you want, where you want. Try a few out and then go for it. you will be surprised how little value the car looses when you come to sell it. (unless you buy chevy or Ford)

let me clarify...

2005 ford ranger open cab 4dr 4x4 will cost about the same as a 2001 toyota tiger 2 door space cab 4x4.

If you are buying for keeps, and you like ford, they go for it. If you are gonna be selling in a couple of years or so, the 'yota will lose less.

Edited by Loz

Speaking of new cars: once one is bought, how long does it take to get the ownership registered and to get white license plates? I bought a new car at the end of Oct and the dealer tells me that, because the car was a "showroom car", the manufacturer won't have the details to get the white plates til March! This seems very odd: 5 months to register a car!? I thought that it normally took about a month.

Hi guys,

I'm in the same position as the original poster (driven in Thailand but have never owned one). I had been thinking of getting a 2nd-hand Pajero Sport (posted in that section), it this now seems unviable.

At the moment I'm debating on 2nd-hand Ford Escape, Nissan X-trail (old model) and a CRV (either latest or previous generation). I'm more for a small SUV right now due to budget, carrying children as well as flood fighting. It's probably going to be driven mainly in BKK and occasional trips to Isaan or the beach.

Was wondering if the old motor-heads here had any opinions or experience in these vehicles and which would be the better choice.

Here are some of the things I have heard so far:

- CRV (new) - underpowered on the highways, but better fuel consumption (any confirmation?)

- CRV (older model) - 2.4 might be better than the usual 2.0l

- Escape - fuel guzzler but good engine

- X-trail - best storage space and only one with selectable AWD/4WD (anyone driven one of these?)

I'm right now leaning more towards the CRV cos resale value is definitely better or the xtrail (value for money) but I would love to hear from you guys, especially about which CRV would be more advisable.

I'm really keen to hear from you guys.

Speaking of new cars: once one is bought, how long does it take to get the ownership registered and to get white license plates? I bought a new car at the end of Oct and the dealer tells me that, because the car was a "showroom car", the manufacturer won't have the details to get the white plates til March! This seems very odd: 5 months to register a car!? I thought that it normally took about a month.

the truth is

dealer doesnt want to pay car to manufactorer before their interst free credit expires.

after payed, it takes about a week to have all docs, and registration is done in a day

law requires car to have white plates and book within 30 days of sale/1st insurance

tell dealer you want plates within 7 days. If they cant, contact nearest Police station and have them call dealer, cost 40 cigarettes. If it doesnt work, file a proper Policereport of scam, and bring to dealer.

even if you have payed car 100%, it does not belong to you before book is issued in your name

Hi guys,

I'm in the same position as the original poster (driven in Thailand but have never owned one). I had been thinking of getting a 2nd-hand Pajero Sport (posted in that section), it this now seems unviable.

At the moment I'm debating on 2nd-hand Ford Escape, Nissan X-trail (old model) and a CRV (either latest or previous generation). I'm more for a small SUV right now due to budget, carrying children as well as flood fighting. It's probably going to be driven mainly in BKK and occasional trips to Isaan or the beach.

Was wondering if the old motor-heads here had any opinions or experience in these vehicles and which would be the better choice.

- CRV (new) - underpowered on the highways, but better fuel consumption (any confirmation?)

- X-trail - best storage space and only one with selectable AWD/4WD (anyone driven one of these?)

I'm right now leaning more towards the CRV cos resale value is definitely better or the xtrail (value for money) but I would love to hear from you guys, especially about which CRV would be more advisable.

fuel consumption on the mentioned depends on your driving, as all the 2,0 are underpowered. trying to keep 140-160kmh on the highway, my 2004 CRV 2,0 awd made 6-7 km/litre.

7-800 should get you a Fortuner 3,0 diesel, 40-50% lower fuel costs, and very sturdy. Very similar drive as Pajero Sport

I waited 4 months for mine; there's no set time-frame so don't worry, the dealership will sort it in their own time and call you when the plates arrive. Most Thai's would prefer an extended period with red plates. You could register the car yourself, I've never tried, but I imagine it works like Immigration; if your company's HR girl knows someone you never have to queue :rolleyes: . I guess the larger dealerships with higher volumes have the best connections. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's registered a car themselves but I doubt there's anything especially odd about a 5 month wait.

I waited 4 months for mine; there's no set time-frame so don't worry, the dealership will sort it in their own time and call you when the plates arrive. Most Thai's would prefer an extended period with red plates. You could register the car yourself, I've never tried, but I imagine it works like Immigration; if your company's HR girl knows someone you never have to queue :rolleyes: . I guess the larger dealerships with higher volumes have the best connections. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's registered a car themselves but I doubt there's anything especially odd about a 5 month wait.

I have registered 2 brand new cars myself, bought in bkk but wanted Phuket plates.

as soon as all docs have been recieved from dealer, it takes one hour at DLT to get book and plates.

using redplates more than 30 days is illegal

you are not the owner of the car until book is issued in your name, IOW dealer belly up, you own no car despite having payed cash for it

thus I find your advice not so good

Hi guys,

Thanks for that. But what about the escape and x-trail? 2.3 and 2.5 engines good enough? Even the PJS is now only be produced with 2.7.

fuel consumption on the mentioned depends on your driving, as all the 2,0 are underpowered. trying to keep 140-160kmh on the highway, my 2004 CRV 2,0 awd made 6-7 km/litre.

7-800 should get you a Fortuner 3,0 diesel, 40-50% lower fuel costs, and very sturdy. Very similar drive as Pajero Sport

Looks liked I clicked a blank reply.

Anyway, thanks for the info. But I'm curious to find out about the other vehicles I mentioned then. There's a 2.4 CRV and the Escape and Xtrail are 2.3 and 2.5 respectively. Are those considered under-powered too? I'm curious about this since the new Pajero Sports are now reportedly going to be only 2.7s from now on.

Oh yes, fortuner is out at the moment due to size and also i hate the way the back seats fold.

Thoughts?

Edited by khooster

Hi guys,

Thanks for that. But what about the escape and x-trail? 2.3 and 2.5 engines good enough? Even the PJS is now only be produced with 2.7.

Anyway, thanks for the info. But I'm curious to find out about the other vehicles I mentioned then. There's a 2.4 CRV and the Escape and Xtrail are 2.3 and 2.5 respectively. Are those considered under-powered too? I'm curious about this since the new Pajero Sports are now reportedly going to be only 2.7s from now on.

Thoughts?

All Thai-made petrol-powered SUV's are underpowered - none have the amount of torque needed to push a vehicle of their size/weight with reasonable performance and fuel-effeciency - that includes the Fortuner 2.7L as well. Load them up with a few people and luggage and they quickly go from being just passable to gas-guzzling snails.

Pajero Sport is a 2.5L turbo diesel - the new model (coming Jan) makes 178HP and 400Nm, with 13km/l fuel efficiency.By comparison the 2.4L CR-V makes 170HP but just 220Nm torque - even with 400KG less weight it's not enough to make it in the same league performance-wise, and CR-V will cost roughly double the Baht per KM to run.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi guys,

Thoughts?

All Thai-made petrol-powered SUV's are underpowered - none have the amount of torque needed to push a vehicle of their size/weight with reasonable performance and fuel-effeciency - that includes the Fortuner 2.7L as well. Load them up with a few people and luggage and they quickly go from being just passable to gas-guzzling snails.

Pajero Sport is a 2.5L turbo diesel - the new model (coming Jan) makes 178HP and 400Nm, with 13km/l fuel efficiency.By comparison the 2.4L CR-V makes 170HP but just 220Nm torque - even with 400KG less weight it's not enough to make it in the same league performance-wise, and CR-V will cost roughly double the Baht per KM to run.

agree

but the CRV 2,4 actually uses less fuel at same speed (140kmh) than the 2,0

in a SUV, nothing beats diesel tourque, and its the only way to go here in LOS. Since engines are tax limited to 3000cc and 220 hp, petrol SUVs are out of the question in pricebracket below 5 mill baht

the only ok powerwise petrol suv sold in LOS less than 5 mill baht would be Audi Q5, but its a 5 seater