Mae Hong Son Living

marshall stanley

Not too many replies, probably as there are not that many expats living in MHS. This may be a good or bad thing. Most of the expats there are volunteers or working for NGOs. I lived in Mae Sariang for 2yrs and loved it. All depends on who you are and what you're looking for. If you like quiet, friendly, small communities, genuine Thai people, culture, slow pace, countryside then MHS is for you. If you like to party and need farangs to talk to, MHS is probably not so good., I would imagine it would be quite a difference from living in Samui (I've never been there? but I would imagine much more touristy?). Oh not to mention everything in MHS will be much cheaper I should imagine. Food, accomm, transport....everything!

During last year's smoky season when the air in Chiang Mai was dreadfully horrible, it was about four times worse in MHS.

PM < 10 hit 400+ !

I have no idea if that was just a one-off but it wouldn't take much of that to keep me away - at least for the burning season.

Otherwise lovely area, though.

My Thai friend works in a government office.

When he got promotion he was transferred to Mae Hong Son.

The thing he dislikes about the place is the frequent power cuts.

They happen most days and last from 10 minutes to a couple of hours.

If in the afternoon, and power is not back on in 20 minutes, he sends his staff home.

If they happen in the evening, he just goes to bed.

He also said there's more Thai food choices, but a lot less farang choices.

Not too many replies, probably as there are not that many expats living in MHS. This may be a good or bad thing. Most of the expats there are volunteers or working for NGOs. I lived in Mae Sariang for 2yrs and loved it. All depends on who you are and what you're looking for. If you like quiet, friendly, small communities, genuine Thai people, culture, slow pace, countryside then MHS is for you. If you like to party and need farangs to talk to, MHS is probably not so good., I would imagine it would be quite a difference from living in Samui (I've never been there? but I would imagine much more touristy?). Oh not to mention everything in MHS will be much cheaper I should imagine. Food, accomm, transport....everything!

I do not think this is true. In the region the further yet get from Chiang Mai the prices tend to increase due to lack of competition and cost of transport. Though may be cheaper than Samui.

Iain

Edited by iainiain101