Transport: Bus To Royal Palace Hotel

Ratsima

I live in Korat. I'm going to Pattaya to dive. As usual, things are never as easy as they seem.

I've only been to Pattaya twice: once in 1989 and once in 2005, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the place. After reading several transport-related threads here, I'm just as confused as ever.

My wife has convinced me to take the SMK Tour bus from Korat as it originates in Korat. No one seems sure as to where it stops in Pattaya except 'central Pattaya'.

I need to get from there (the bus stop) with a small backpack and a big dive bag to the Royal Palace Hotel which is in south Pattaya, although the location seems to vary quite a bit depending on whether you're using Google (Earth or Maps), the hotel's own maps (of which there are three) or my GPS (Garmin and Papago).

'd be grateful for some advice on how to get from point A (where ever the SMK bus stops) to point B (the Royal Palace Hotel). I don't mind spending some money in exchange for convenience, nor am I adverse to taking a motorcycle taxi. Whatever the mode, I'd like to know in advance what is advisable and about how much to pay.

TIA

(An interesting aside: My wife called the hotel asking for this information. They advised her that the SMK bus stops too far from the hotel and that I'd be better off taking a bus to Bangkok and then another bus from Bangkok to Pattaya. I remain confused on how this solves the problem of getting from the bus stop to the hotel. Any takers out there?)

Sri Mongkol? I think their terminal is on Sai Sam. Your hotel is on Sai Song. If you can take a motorcycle taxi, the max fare will be 60 baht. Perhaps there are waiting Songthaews. Then expect 20 to 40 baht. Can't say as I've not used either bus service. Alternatively, you can walk to the junction at Pattaya Klang and hail a passing songthaew(with passengers) for 20 baht.

Nakornchai bus station is near Sukhumvit Road end of Pattaya Klang. You cross the road to the Pattaya side and jump into the waiting Songthaew asking, "Sai Song?". If yes jump in. When the bus fills up, he will take off. Jump out when you reach your destination. Give the driver 20 baht.

Of course if you charter the Songthaew for your own use, the fare will rise sharply. 60 to 120 baht depending on the prevailing wind.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Thanks for the reply.

Here in Korat all the Songthaew have route numbers so you know exactly where you are going. I gather this is not the case in Pattaya. Is there a steady stream of Songthaew going south on Soi 3 and then north on Soi 2?

Thanks for the reply.

Here in Korat all the Songthaew have route numbers so you know exactly where you are going. I gather this is not the case in Pattaya. Is there a steady stream of Songthaew going south on Soi 3 and then north on Soi 2?

Even if they had route numbers, they would just change the route as they please...

Thanks for the reply.

If that were the case I would have stated that as an option.

So, at best, it's chaotic. Walk out of the bus station, approach every passing songthaew and ask them if they are going to Soi 2?

Jump out when you reach your destination.

But since I've never seen my destination, how do I know when I've reached it?

Perhaps I'll cancel the Pattaya trip and dive where the transportation situation is less of a crap shoot.

So, at best, it's chaotic. Walk out of the bus station, approach every passing songthaew and ask them if they are going to Soi 2?

Jump out when you reach your destination.

But since I've never seen my destination, how do I know when I've reached it?

Perhaps I'll cancel the Pattaya trip and dive where the transportation situation is less of a crap shoot.

Perhaps if you actually follow the instructions you'll find that it's less complicated that you imagine.

Perhaps you need a little more help....

pattaya-map.gif

Bus station is the the right of the junction of Klang and Third. Walk to the junction and take a baht bus heading towards the beach.

The hotel map shows the route clearly:

map.gif

If the bus is going via Soi Bua Khao, that is also ok for you. Just ask. Maximum fare 20 baht.

Considering that you actually live in Thailand, I'm surprised that you are so 'green'.

Perhaps you need a little more help….

Awesome. That big map is a gem. I'll put it on my iPad. I'd seen the second map on the hotel web site, but it didn't have the "Bus to Northeast" bus station on it, so I had no idea where it was.

Considering that you actually live in Thailand, I'm surprised that you are so 'green'.

Perhaps "stupid" is the word you're looking for. :lol:

I'm an old retired geek and have lived in Asia all of my adult life. I guess old age has made me a lot more cautious than I was as a kid.

No probs. :) Now that you have the map....you can take the first songthaew to the junction with Soi Bua Khao for 10 baht if he isn't going down Bua Khao anyway. Then just wait on that corner for buses heading down Bua Khao. They are quite regular. Ask, "Sai Song"? If yes, jump on. When you see the sign for your hotel, ring the bell and give the driver 10 baht.

No probs. :) Now that you have the map....you can take the first songthaew to the junction with Soi Bua Khao for 10 baht if he isn't going down Bua Khao anyway. Then just wait on that corner for buses heading down Bua Khao. They are quite regular. Ask, "Sai Song"? If yes, jump on. When you see the sign for your hotel, ring the bell and give the driver 10 baht.

Thanks. I've got it. I appreciate your help.

I'm not quite as timid as you might think. Drove from Korat to Luangprabang a couple of weeks ago; my third road trip through Lao. Off to Trang by car in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I've got it. I appreciate your help.

I'm not quite as timid as you might think. Drove from Korat to Luangprabang a couple of weeks ago; my third road trip through Lao. Off to Trang by car in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

I didn't imagine that you were timid...which is why I was surprised at you giving up so easily.