Import Duties/Customs On Computer Parts

Spoonman

Ive used the search function but nothing seems to be coming up.

I want to import some Computer parts from the states (motherboards/cpu's/ram/water cooling gear etc).

Ontop of the 7% VAT what would I be looking at in the way of additional import taxes/tarriffs ?

Ive also searched Here but once again I cannot find anyuthing specifically related to the items I want to import.

same question same answer computer parts don't need to be imported, you can buy all of them in thailand(online shops or IT mall).

if you still want to import, ask your mate to declare it as gift, electronics not more than 30 dollars(the duty free allowance is 1000 baht) use the usps and not any private company(those will bring VAT and customs invoice for sure).

of course don't send all components in one box, send them one by one.

i've ordered a lot of components abroad, mainly china for my work in here so far the only fee i had to pay was 7 baht to the post office.

Thanks for the detailed reply which did not answer my question.

If you're not happy with the answer provided by NHJ get off your bum and go to Thai Customs and ask them yourself instead of asking on a public Forum. Then if it's wrong you can bitch and moan to them and not come back on the Forum and complain about what you were told here.

NHJs reply is one of the best and most concise posted on this Forum regarding importing. If the rates are so important go to the relevant department. Otherwise, don't sledge someone who posts a clear, concise and accurate (found through my experience also) reply. :angry:

You can expect to pay anything up to 40% on any 'Luxury' item imported into Thailand. It's down to how the customs officer on the day is feeling, but thats the maximum you should ever be charged.

In the past when i have imported software, i have been stung for approximately 20% import duty, sometimes the package gets in without tax, sometimes it doesn't... pay your money and take your chance.

If you're not happy with the answer provided by NHJ get off your bum and go to Thai Customs and ask them yourself instead of asking on a public Forum. Then if it's wrong you can bitch and moan to them and not come back on the Forum and complain about what you were told here.

NHJs reply is one of the best and most concise posted on this Forum regarding importing. If the rates are so important go to the relevant department. Otherwise, don't sledge someone who posts a clear, concise and accurate (found through my experience also) reply. :angry:

speaking of coming across like a bitch.........

the whole reason of a "public forum" is about discussion and asking others for advice so pull your head in, I asked a specific question NHJ replied in a manner that I currently use to purchase items, how ever in this instance what I need is not available locally either online or in shops and I have no one coming to visit nor have time to run around in their countries buying/packing and shipping items for me...

Hence my OP.

As to going to customs to ask.... yeah well what they tell you and what you actually get charged by the time good reach your doorstep can vary greatly, I was hoping someone on here had some first hand experience.

Thank you for your detailed reply, it to just like NHJ provided zero in regards to my actual question.

MunterHunter, thanks for the reply, 40% is a bit ouchies even at 20% It would be viable to fly to Singapore for the weekend, hmm theres a thought, take the missus away for a romantic weekend and purchase some gear, and smuggle it through customs.......HMMMMMM

Gmac, thanks for the link, rather a large document, willl go through it later.

Edited by Spoonman

This topic comes quite often here on TV, probably a couple of hundred times in various forms and sub-forums. Summarizing quite generally, people have reported paying anything between 0% and 60% (on all manner of goods), so there's no definitive real-world answer.

Take a look at the shipitto topic, I forget which sub-forum but you can find it with a search, which might be the most appropriate. I think when you add on potential sales tax, two shipping charges and local Thai tax and duty, you may be up to and over local prices. Unless its something brand new you can usually find it here. (I shop at Newegg, with huge discounts via promotions, mail-in rebates, no sales tax, and free shipping I save ~ 45% over local prices. I go back often so no problem for me to hand-carry.)

speaking of coming across like a bitch.........

the whole reason of a "public forum" is about discussion and asking others for advice so pull your head in, I asked a specific question NHJ replied in a manner that I currently use to purchase items, how ever in this instance what I need is not available locally either online or in shops and I have no one coming to visit nor have time to run around in their countries buying/packing and shipping items for me...

Hence my OP.

As to going to customs to ask.... yeah well what they tell you and what you actually get charged by the time good reach your doorstep can vary greatly, I was hoping someone on here had some first hand experience.

Thank you for your detailed reply, it to just like NHJ provided zero in regards to my actual question.

MunterHunter, thanks for the reply, 40% is a bit ouchies even at 20% It would be viable to fly to Singapore for the weekend, hmm theres a thought, take the missus away for a romantic weekend and purchase some gear, and smuggle it through customs.......HMMMMMM

Gmac, thanks for the link, rather a large document, willl go through it later.

It looks horrendous but if you use the search facility it seems to work quite well. At least it did for me looking at photographic equipment! Haven't ordered yet so I can't confirm whether or not the rates are still current.

Thanks Lomatopo, the place im looking top purchase from will direct ship so there is no need for shipitito.

I was on one of the shipito threads earlier. I my case I bought PC parts in US and mailed them here and took a chance on the import costs. In end the fees were just 7% on the declared (my declaration) value of Fedex shipment as explained on Fedex web site. Fedex just took that before handing over goods. A lot cheaper than buying local or taking a holiday in Singapore. My experience using Thai Post office with another PC import part was less pleasant.

Edited by Digitalbanana