More Taxi Turbo Meters

KCM

I've used taxis more frequently than that over a longer period. Never come across a 'modified' meter as far as I know, ie, they all seem to tick over at roughly the same rate, as far as I can tell. Personally I think it's an urban myth. In the case of neverdie, clearly the meter had not been turned off after the previous passengers got out.

I've had at least one that I can remember, as recently as last year. We were pulling away from the airport, and being no more than 500 yards past the building I checked the meter and it was already in the 40s. Normally this shouldn't have been any more than the 35 Baht flag-fall. Not ridiculous, but probably going at about 50% more than the normal rate. Having my parents with me and all our bags loaded in I didn't bother to argue about it but it was definitely a tampered meter.

I've used taxis more frequently than that over a longer period. Never come across a 'modified' meter as far as I know, ie, they all seem to tick over at roughly the same rate, as far as I can tell. Personally I think it's an urban myth. In the case of neverdie, clearly the meter had not been turned off after the previous passengers got out.

They do exist. I copped a turbo meter taxi once from Suk.11 to Lumpini police station 150B. :rolleyes:

I paid him 45B - the correct fare as I had done the same trip the day before, the driver wanted to argue about it, so I invited him into the police station. He declined. :lol:

There must be damn few, as I've taken thousands of trips and never had an unusually large fare for a familiar distance.

Are you sure the meter started at 35?

Hi Neverdie,

The multiple drivers per Taxi does throw a monkey wrench into the system. The only thing you can do as I really see no short term fix, is to video record the meter with you phone camera. I have only had one shady to say the least taxi in thailand, and that was related to the Airport as well. Only it was from Don Meung, it was my first month in the LOS and i did not know any better. Close to 3 years, and one shady taxi ( i use a Taxi on average twice a week). I would say that turbo meters are very few and far beween (IMHO of course).

:jap:

Most expensive tax I have ever had: Sandiego to La $345. I hate flying so I was not about to take a plane from San Deigo to LA........

Cloud 9 Shuttle:  San Diego to LA, $145.  :)