Boat Registration

brownknees

Recently returned from an overseas assignment and now getting my 8metre motorboat ready for launching.When I bought it two years ago the seller agent did the paperwork ,I thought at the time it might be a bit expensive at 20,000 Baht.I would like to do it myself but dont know were to go for Insurance ,skippers ticket(2nd engineer thai marine!) and generally register it.Can anyone help?

When I bought a boat I had to go to Chonburi to register it. I was very pleasantly surprised that the office staff that I dealt with were friendly and efficient. The process took about 10 minutes which included a coffee break with them.  Their office is on the seaward side of the Amphur and at that time in splendid isolation although no doubt other buildings have since been erected. The registration fee was minimal, so small that I forget what it was. It certainly didn't warrant a trip to find an ATM and I don't walk around with big bucks in my pockets.

I enquired about insurance, having been turned away by two insurance agents in Pattaya and the staff told me that it was practically impossible to arrange insurance since there were so many accidents and payouts that companies would not take on the risk. No doubt most of the claims were scams. Nobody was interested in my abilities to handle a boat or what safety equipment I had installed. 

My judgment on the boat handling expertise and practice by the locals mirrors that I have of most of Thailand's road users.