Bar Closures Due To Local Elections?

Chris78

Can anyone provide some more information on bar/club closures this weekend (Fri 3rd Dec- Sun 5th Dec)?

I just heard today that many bars would close and that restaurants would not be allowed to sell alcohol all weekend due to local elections (Thong Lor, Sukhumvit and Klong Toey).

I also heard that perhaps Khao San and Silom are not affected by these elections.

I cannot see any information on this forum and not many people seem to know about it.

Might it not be more about King's Birthday?

Yeah, but that should only affect Sunday and possibly Saturday night.

This is to do with local elections and will apparently affect all of this weekend as well as Saturday and Sunday of next weekend.

Don't normally cross post, but just to note I've just returned for dinner in Sukhumvit Soi 11, which was sans alcohol.

Regards

Just a quick reply. I was out last night and EVERYWHERE was closing from 6pm or when the police walked through the door. Most places have signs up stating no alcohol will be sold until mid-night Sunday. The kings birthday should have no affect as it didnt close anywhere last year. However this is all due to the elections. I have been told that outside of Klhong toey there is nothing in place to close venues and certainly not outside of BKK. But i think this depends on how the boys in brown decide to play it. Khao san was still serving at about mid-night last night, but it may all change. Anyone heres of a decent place staying open today or tomorrow PLEASE post as am bored and dont want a dry weekend!!!!!

Cheers

The agony of the serial pisshead continues....

I had a weekend in Samui that was coincident with local elections. The enforcement was pretty much across the board and rather than sup suds in a darkened and virtually empty bar, I managed to buy beer at Tops on Chaweng (whereas the 7-eleven's and Family Marts on the main drag were not selling alcohol). Took the beer back to the private pool villa and me and my 'personal assistant' had a great time.

Edited by NanLaew

The agony of the serial pisshead continues....

555 yes it does, society discriminates against the piss head, its just not right ;P

Then I recommend a weekend in Pattaya. Who knows, you may even find a 'personal assistant' to pop your top for you!

Chinatown, Banglamphu, Dusit, all open as usual the last two nights (Friday and Saturday). I believe it's only the Thonglor precinct (which extends as far west as Soi Asoke) that had the by-elections.

Nothing to do with HM's birthday, during which the the usual alcohol laws apply.