3B Ttt

MisterMan

I am finally moving to a house with a phoneline. So I will ditch my cat cdma and I have signed up for 3B.

Ok since I am putting it in my name I have to pay up front. I took the cheapest package of 6mb. is 8 really faster?

and my main question is for 900 baht they offered me a wireless router thing.

I need the signal to go to the downstairs room. a completely independent room. (tenant)

Should i buy their router or can someone suggest a better option available in Phuket or via mail order? Thank you ~~~~~!!!!!!!!!

and what the hell can I do with my CDMA dongle now?

Keep the CDMA for when you are out somewhere and need internet or for when 3B goes down. Does 3 B have a gateway (modem and wireless router all in one) or just a modem and separate router? If just a modem and separate router you could look around downstairs at Big C and see if they have a better priced one. I think my Linksys wifi router was about the same price as the one they are offering you and I got it from KPP Rawai. Plus they set it all up. Routers aren't that hard to set up if you know how... So that may be a consideration in your decision... Good luck with your new place! smile.gif

I find the modems given for free to be truly awful and make up a huge % of the problems people face.. Tho 3BB gives a huwai modem which is loads better than the TOT speedtouch junk.

I would always buy a top quality aftermarket (cisco sold under big c) and as its a country with such marginal lines the best brand you can. Dont bargain shop on this item.

I am a demanding net user with both critical apps and do lots of high def downloading when not trading.. So put strain on the hardware. I moved into a new place a couple of weeks ago and it was set up with TOT equipment and password protected. As soon as I started torrents it crapped out, and in just normal net use it was up and down, pings going out to 3000ms, generally looking like a total pain. I was thinking I would need to junk the TOT line here and get something else.

After a bit of a guessing game for the TOT default passwords.. I found the TOT settings out of the junk modem they give, put it in my own modem and have had flawless net since that day. Goes to show how much is hardware dependent and also makes you think, if they are going to have so many users unhappy, complaining and thinking its TOT's lines fault.. Surely giving such substandard hardware is false economy.

Edited by LivinLOS

I find the modems given for free to be truly awful and make up a huge % of the problems people face.. Tho 3BB gives a huwai modem which is loads better than the TOT speedtouch junk.

I would always buy a top quality aftermarket (cisco sold under big c) and as its a country with such marginal lines the best brand you can. Dont bargain shop on this item.

I am a demanding net user with both critical apps and do lots of high def downloading when not trading.. So put strain on the hardware. I moved into a new place a couple of weeks ago and it was set up with TOT equipment and password protected. As soon as I started torrents it crapped out, and in just normal net use it was up and down, pings going out to 3000ms, generally looking like a total pain. I was thinking I would need to junk the TOT line here and get something else.

After a bit of a guessing game for the TOT default passwords.. I found the TOT settings out of the junk modem they give, put it in my own modem and have had flawless net since that day. Goes to show how much is hardware dependent and also makes you think, if they are going to have so many users unhappy, complaining and thinking its TOT's lines fault.. Surely giving such substandard hardware is false economy.

The 3bb and ToT stuff I have tryed have been crap

3bb with Belkin works excellent, available at Big C basement

Ah thanks. I just went to pay for my year (urg) and paid 100 baht for the non wireless router thing. I will try the Belkin. Do you know how much? I take it once I get the Belkin wireless I dont need the crap 100 baht box. I have not moved in yet so just wanted to make sure I had something...

and what to do with my CDMA?

Can it be sold? cdma 680?

How does a new person set it up? We have to go together right?

Ah thanks. I just went to pay for my year (urg) and paid 100 baht for the non wireless router thing. I will try the Belkin. Do you know how much? I take it once I get the Belkin wireless I dont need the crap 100 baht box. I have not moved in yet so just wanted to make sure I had something...

Belkin is all in one box, but I dont recall if it was 2 or 4k, couple of years now. I m not saying Belkin is presently the best, but it is better than my D-Link.

CDMA, I v got one to if anyone needs it, you both need to go to CAT to swap user. Replaced by DTAC edge for travelling, as CDMA works very few places in LOS, and monthly fee like 700?

Interesting as I have problems now. If I buy a new router will it require someone tech to set it up?

If you've never set up a router, it'll be an interesting exercise. In addition to the mechanics of changing router settings, you also have to know the precise settings required by your ISP. Most ISPs will give you the info (user name, password, VPI, etc.), but you have to know what to ask for.

Probably better if you hire somebody who knows what he's doing to set it up for you. It's a simple process, if you've done it before and have all the details.

You may be able to sell it, but realize that the cards now are pretty cheap. In order to transfer the account, both you and the buyer have to go to CAT and fill out the paperwork. There's a nominal fee - B 200, last time I heard - and at that point CAT will start billing the new owner.

Interesting as I have problems now. If I buy a new router will it require someone tech to set it up?

Don't worry. When I bought my D-Link ADSL-modem and wireless router 2 years ago, the technicians at the place I made the purchase put in both username/password for TT&T and my private password for encryption. I live in Europe most of the year. You don't find anyone here to do that kind of service for free!

Don't worry. When I bought my D-Link ADSL-modem and wireless router 2 years ago, the technicians at the place I made the purchase put in both username/password for TT&T and my private password for encryption. I live in Europe most of the year. You don't find anyone here to do that kind of service for free!

Can you tell me what shop it was, as i will for sure need that help in the near future.

If it's not too expensive, definitely keep the cat cdma wireless for all the downtime you will experience with 3BB. And invest in a good router of your own. You're just across the street now so give me a bell and I can help you set up your router. With all the problems I have had with 3BB, having replaced half a dozen routers, I've become a whiz at it now. :)

Alternatively, TOT is now available in our area, and my new TOT connection, after some initial pain, is pretty reliable. Not particularly fast though. My only problem now is I can't get my Slingbox to stream fast enough from the states, which is strange since for months it was 600-800kbps, now it won't get over 300kbps. I would get 1.5mbps with 3BB when it was working. TOT is running a fiber optic cable past my house now. Unfortunately it's still cost prohibitive unless you are a company with multiple users.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

HI SB, actually I think as I am on a Mac an airport might be a good option for me as I can utilize the other functions such as wireless printing.

I know the airport is more expensive but better than going through routers! But hey glad to know i can call you for tech support and yes you are just a few min away now!!

Think I will still go with TTT and I can use my nokia mobile with bluetooth for back up..

If you've never set up a router, it'll be an interesting exercise. In addition to the mechanics of changing router settings, you also have to know the precise settings required by your ISP. Most ISPs will give you the info (user name, password, VPI, etc.), but you have to know what to ask for.

Probably better if you hire somebody who knows what he's doing to set it up for you. It's a simple process, if you've done it before and have all the details.

Hi Woody,

For once I have to say I like my mac. it was easy. The torrents don't work though but internet and email do. Plug and play literally.

Hi Woody,

For once I have to say I like my mac. it was easy. The torrents don't work though but internet and email do. Plug and play literally.

And why does it being a mac have any bearing on setting up the router..

If it works on the mac without issue then same on the PC.. and a router will be configged through its web interface (or telnet but web for most people) and thats the exact same on the mac as the PC.

Hi Woody,

And why does it being a mac have any bearing on setting up the router..

If it works on the mac without issue then same on the PC.. and a router will be configged through its web interface (or telnet but web for most people) and thats the exact same on the mac as the PC.

If you read above, MisterMan/goodkarma is referring to her "AirPort", which is an Apple product. :)

If it's not too expensive, definitely keep the cat cdma wireless for all the downtime you will experience with 3BB. And invest in a good router of your own. You're just across the street now so give me a bell and I can help you set up your router. With all the problems I have had with 3BB, having replaced half a dozen routers, I've become a whiz at it now. :)

Alternatively, TOT is now available in our area, and my new TOT connection, after some initial pain, is pretty reliable. Not particularly fast though. My only problem now is I can't get my Slingbox to stream fast enough from the states, which is strange since for months it was 600-800kbps, now it won't get over 300kbps. I would get 1.5mbps with 3BB when it was working. TOT is running a fiber optic cable past my house now. Unfortunately it's still cost prohibitive unless you are a company with multiple users.

I was just talking to my nephew in Los Angeles about buying a Slingbox for me and setting it up at my brothers house that has Fios (fiber optic) installed. But after just testing my speeds today, 400 Kbps down and about the same up, I'm a bit concerned... I am supposed to get 4 Mbps down and 500 Kbps up, I'm kinda of thinking it's not worth trying. Of course when I complain and the tech comes out he says it's my computer. But of course they are testing to BKK and I am testing to San Francisco or LA. I may try the 10 Mbps service offered, but I really don't know if there would be a great improvement. I use CAT through KPP Cable Rawai. It's so variable in speed. The fastest I have seen is about 2 Mbps. Pretty darn frustrating if you are trying to watch or listen to a stream, when it drops down to 350 Kbps! You say 3B TTT sucks too. So what will work around here? I don't have a phone line, that's why I went with cable when I saw them putting fiber on my street... But it's coax cable to the house and modem uses coax too. I think just too many users for the pipe coming to Phuket??

Please note that the Apple routers do not have a ADSL-modem built into them... You will still need a ADSL-modem box upstream from the Apple Airport...

That said I highly recommend the Apple Airport as your home wifi system... It is easy to set up and give you the option of plugging in a USB printer or hard drive. to access via wifi