WikiLeaks website again offline after company cuts DNS service

News_Editor

It doesn't matter where crimes were committed if the "harm" was done in the nation prosecuting. Hackers in Russia are still liable for stealing credit card info from databases in the UK, for example.

The issue is whether the prosecuting nation will ever have custody of the alleged criminal and be in position to prosecute. In this case, will anyone extradite Assange to the US? If not, the US can have all the legal grounds to prosecute, but no way to have a trial. If he does get extradited, well, there is plenty of precedence for people to be tried for crimes committed elsewhere (such as Nazis being prosecuted in Israel after being kidnapped from other nations and smuggled into the country.)

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter where crimes were committed if the "harm" was done in the nation prosecuting. Hackers in Russia are still liable for stealing credit card info from databases in the UK, for example.

The issue is whether the prosecuting nation will ever have custody of the alleged criminal and be in position to prosecute. In this case, will anyone extradite Assange to the US? If not, the US can have all the legal grounds to prosecute, but no way to have a trial. If he does get extradited, well, there is plenty of precedence for people to be tried for crimes committed elsewhere (such as Nazis being prosecuted in Israel after being kidnapped from other nations and smuggled into the country.)

THE US Government is launching a bid to prosecute WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange under the US Espionage Act now that the Australian is behind bars. Informal talks have reportedly been held between American and Swedish officials over the potential delivery of Mr Assange into US custody once he has faced court in Stockholm for alleged sex offences.

The 39-year-old former computer hacker infuriated the US Government by releasing a trove of sensitive diplomatic cables last week.

The US Justice Department has been preparing an indictment plan in the hope of charging the Townsville-born Mr Assange under the 1917 Espionage Act, branding his actions "the most serious violation of the Espionage Act in our history".

"It sure looks to me that Assange and WikiLeaks have violated the Espionage Act," the US Senate's homeland security committee chief Joe Lieberman said after Mr Assange's arrest in London.

Washington DC State Department spokesman Philip Crowley also said: "What WikiLeaks has done is a crime under US law."

Couriermail December 09, 2010

Would that mean that the people on TV shows etc in the US asking for Assange to be assasinated can be extradited to wherever Assange is living and be charged with inciting murder?

Possibly, but since Assange has alienated most civilized nations, it is doubtful that any of them would bother - considering the expense. :whistling:

Would that mean that the people on TV shows etc in the US asking for Assange to be assasinated can be extradited to wherever Assange is living and be charged with inciting murder?

They should be and it would be nice to see a British court issue and enforce warrants for the people who made these remarks.

Even better if they were to be extradited to the uk.

Could make a start with Pailin..........

Edited by philw

I really wish you wouldn't involve yourself in legal issues as you have repeatedly shown you really are out of your depth.

Special legislation was enacted for pedophilia, child exploitation etc.

It is a completely different part of the criminal code enacted specifically to protect children.

For example: If you rape someone, say, in Vietnam then you can be charged in vietnam, but you cannot be charged for that crime in, say, australia. But if you conduct yourself in the ways of pedophilia in vietnam then australia can have you charged and sentenced here.

The precedent you talk of is quite crime specific.

Edited by Wallaby

Washington DC State Department spokesman Philip Crowley also said: "What WikiLeaks has done is a crime under US law."

Couriermail December 09, 2010

Don't worry the US justice system will take real good care of him. In fact they have already found a real nice cellmate named Bubba to keep him company.

0060-0808-1917-5813.jpg

UL, if you look at a couple of my previous posts you would not be so quick to be sarcastic. I have also asked and learnt some things on here and have never professed to know everything, hence why I have also asked questions.

But really, you have made a couple of posts of late as fact that are aren't exactly on the mark. If you are offering advice would you not think it better to say you are unsure but believe, or IMHO......etc instead of just stating a fact.

You are a regular poster and i do enjoy reading you as you seem to have a lot of worldly experience and a good grasp of issues. I do understand your views, I may not agree with them all but it would be a dreary old world if everyone agreed.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Edited by Wallaby

Possibly, but since Assange has alienated most civilized nations, it is doubtful that any of them would bother - considering the expense. :whistling:

A lie don't becomes true if you keep repeating it.

Which ones ??

Most reaction i see, apart from USA, is that he has performed a public service.

It's hard to keep up.......

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 1289 sites (updated 2010-12-08 19:07 GMT)

http://wikileaks.try...et/mirrors.html

LaoPo

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 1334 sites (updated 2010-12-08 22:43 GMT)

http://213.251.145.96/mirrors.html

LaoPo

Try as they might, our American guardians of "american free speech......." cannot stop it now.

All power to wikileaks.....

UL, if you look at a couple of my previous posts you would not be so quick to be sarcastic. I have also asked and learnt some things on here and have never professed to know everything, hence why I have also asked questions.

Maybe so, but I have noticed that the completely absurd remarks by many posters that agree with your position never get the benefit of your advice. That is common on Thai Visa and makes it very difficult to take such advice very seriously.

Which ones ??

I heard that China isn't happy with wikileaks and Iran considers wikileaks for some false flag work of the CIA.

And all other countries where politician don't issue death threat to Assange are probably not civilized enough in the eyes of Ulysses G.

Go here if you wish to read a copy of 18 U.S.C. section 793, 794 and 798. I would think any or all of these are under consideration by the Justice Department in the Wikileaks case.

http://codes.lp.find...ode/18/I/37/793

http://codes.lp.find...ode/18/I/37/794

http://codes.lp.find...ode/18/I/37/798

Go here if you wish to learn which Federal crimes may be punishable by the death penalty. Interestingly, Section 794 is on the list.

http://www.deathpena...g-death-penalty

How many editors and publishers from the New York Times were executed after publishing the PENTAGON PAPERS; and what about Daniel Ellsberg...?

LaoPo

Uh, Mr. Lao Po. I know much of your position relies on the Pentagon Papers and Daniel Ellsberg but you do realize laws can be passed, rewritten, amended and altered between 1969 and 2010. What was applicable in 1969 might not be applicable in today's world.

I realize you probably have the Pentagon Papers on speed dial but you might want to reconsider your position and come up with something a little more recent. Perhaps even something related to the 21st century..

But then, what do I know? I'm just a dumb old country boy from West Texas. B)

I doubt -VERY much- you are a dumb old country boy from West Texas, Cuckd. :rolleyes:

You're right that laws could have been rewritten, amended and altered since the PENTAGON PAPERS but the principle is still exactly the same.

There were/are Whistleblowers then and now with the only difference that Daniel Ellsberg single handedly copied 7.000 documents one-by-one on a Xerox machine and than handed by him personally to the New York Times and the documents from WikiLeaks were anonymously sent to them and than forwarded to exactly the same New York Times.

The principle is still the same but I am quite surprised by the enormous attention now, almost exclusively, to Assange and his WikiLeaks and NOT to the NYT and the other 4 major quality news papers, mainly in Europe.

Earlier this year President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called rightly so!- upon China for more transparency and applauded the Freedom on Internet in the Western world, contrary to the lack of Press Freedom in China.

And, what's happening now? They are trying to do their utmost to GAG and control the Internet and even forbid their civil servants to even have a glimpse on the WikiLeaks documents, even threatening them with: "you're fired because you had a look in the WikiLeaks documents!"

The only safe place civil servants can have a look, is (as a matter of speaking) in a newspaper in a dark alley.

What a sad development.

If ANY European Government would even try to gag their staff/civil servants, a total uproar would surface with such an immense power -also by the total media forces- that you wouldn't believe your eyes an ears.

NOBODY would accept such steps by any European Government!

I wonder which part of the world is more democratic...the US or Europe.

I know, but do you?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Which ones ??

I think the big issue is that the Americans have been caught with egg on thier faces and what Americans really think of the rest of the world has been revealed publically and they don't like being caught out for what they really are. If Americans had treated the rest of the planet with due respect then there would be no issue. Now they are looking for someone to take the blame for thier intial actions and have pulled out that old usual terrorist card they always use and slapped it on the back of an Australian journalist. America has lost a lot of friends due to thier stabbing.

Currently there's also a petition running with over 10000 signatures per hour

sign the petition

Visa ans Mastercard = yes to Ku Klux Klan and no to Wikileaks

I didn't sign up on your petition but I might answer this one, from the same site.

http://civoc.com/romarybt

It certainly adds a degree of seriousness to your petition. :rolleyes:

:lol: Nothing wrong with your taste Chuck ...Holy Moly...but likely a "fake" and also quite white for a Ghana girl.

LaoPo

Public figures in the US, calling upon murder and assassination should be prosecuted and jailed within the US immediately as they are "poisoning" the American young brains with their television calls for the same barbaric "solutions".

I can hear it already....."If those high-so guys can call for murder and assassination why can't we, brother?"

LaoPo

Edited by bonobo
deleted specious US slam

Maybe so, but I have noticed that the completely absurd remarks by many posters that agree with your position never get the benefit of your advice. That is common on Thai Visa and makes it very difficult to take such advice very seriously.

post-13995-0-18063400-1291901169_thumb.j

LaoPo

WikiLeaks' resilience shows strength of Internet-age lifelines

The Washington Post

By Joby Warrick and Rob Pegoraro Thursday, December 9, 2010

Over the past several days, the anti-secrecy Web site WikiLeaks has been hit with a series of blows that have seemed to threaten its survival. Its primary Web address was deactivated, its PayPal account was frozen, and its Internet server gave it the boot.

The result: WikiLeaks is now stronger than ever, at least as measured by its ability to publish online.

Blocked from using one Internet host, WikiLeaks simply jumped to another. Meanwhile, the number of "mirror" Web sites - effectively clones of WikiLeaks' main contents pages - grew from a few dozen last week to 200 by Sunday. By early Wednesday, the number of such sites surpassed 1,000.

At the same time, WikiLeaks' supporters have apparently gone on the offensive, staging retaliatory attacks against Internet companies that have cut ties to the group amid fears they could be associated with it. On Wednesday, hackers briefly shut down access to the Web sites for MasterCard and Visa, both of which had announced they had stopped processing donations to WikiLeaks.

More, long article:

http://www.washingto...0120807287.html

LaoPo

As rumours have it, Lieutenant Colonel Mattias Ardin Deputy Head of Operations, Swedish Joint Forces Land Component Command in Afghanistan is cousin and close friend to Anna Ardin, one of the woman that alleges Julian Assange of rape are possibly connected to CIA involvement.

more here

Edited by elcent

Hacker Threatens More Attacks on Those Seen as WikiLeaks Foes

The New York Times

By JOHN F. BURNS and RAVI SOMAIYA

Published: December 9, 2010

LONDON — In a campaign that had some declaring the start of a "cyberwar," hundreds of Internet activists mounted retaliatory attacks on Wednesday on the Web sites of multinational companies and other organizations they deemed hostile to the WikiLeaks antisecrecy organization and its jailed founder, Julian Assange.

On Thursday, a man identifying himself as one of the activists from a group called Anonymous, who used the pseudonym Coldblood in an interview with BBC radio, said: "This campaign is not over from what I've seen. It's still going strong." The speaker had an English accent and said he was a 22-year-old software engineer with no specific political loyalty. Within 12 hours of a British judge's decision on Tuesday to deny Mr. Assange bail in a Swedish extradition case, attacks on the Web sites of WikiLeaks's "enemies," as defined by the organization's impassioned supporters around the world, caused several corporate Web sites to become inaccessible or slow down markedly.

Targets of the attacks, in which activists overwhelmed the sites with traffic, included the Web site of MasterCard, which had stopped processing donations for WikiLeaks; Amazon.com, which revoked the use of its computer servers; and PayPal, which stopped accepting donations for Mr. Assange's group. Visa.com was also affected by the attacks, as were the Web sites of the Swedish prosecutor's office and the lawyer representing the two women whose allegations of sexual misconduct are the basis of Sweden's extradition bid.

More, long article:

http://www.nytimes.c...rld/10wiki.html

LaoPo

post-13995-0-18063400-1291901169_thumb.j

LaoPo

What makes you think that I was talking about you? :lol:

Interesting poll result from The Guardian. I don't have any great faith in polls, posted for your information, or, some may say entertainment. http://www.guardian....-frozen-account

by all the polls running around the globe it appears the majority of the people support it. I guess the only people on the planet that are against is the Yanks.

Edited by bonobo
removed derogatory editorializing

Hacker Threatens More Attacks on Those Seen as WikiLeaks Foes

The New York Times

By JOHN F. BURNS and RAVI SOMAIYA

Published: December 9, 2010

LONDON — In a campaign that had some declaring the start of a "cyberwar," hundreds of Internet activists mounted retaliatory attacks on Wednesday on the Web sites of multinational companies and other organizations they deemed hostile to the WikiLeaks antisecrecy organization and its jailed founder, Julian Assange.

On Thursday, a man identifying himself as one of the activists from a group called Anonymous, who used the pseudonym Coldblood in an interview with BBC radio, said: "This campaign is not over from what I've seen. It's still going strong." The speaker had an English accent and said he was a 22-year-old software engineer with no specific political loyalty. Within 12 hours of a British judge's decision on Tuesday to deny Mr. Assange bail in a Swedish extradition case, attacks on the Web sites of WikiLeaks's "enemies," as defined by the organization's impassioned supporters around the world, caused several corporate Web sites to become inaccessible or slow down markedly.

Targets of the attacks, in which activists overwhelmed the sites with traffic, included the Web site of MasterCard, which had stopped processing donations for WikiLeaks; Amazon.com, which revoked the use of its computer servers; and PayPal, which stopped accepting donations for Mr. Assange's group. Visa.com was also affected by the attacks, as were the Web sites of the Swedish prosecutor's office and the lawyer representing the two women whose allegations of sexual misconduct are the basis of Sweden's extradition bid.

More, long article:

http://www.nytimes.c...rld/10wiki.html

LaoPo

maybe another false flag attack. In Assanges book about hackers there was a group called Anonymous. It's for download(pdf) and free. If you can't find it I will upload it for free download then. May take me a day or two though.

Edited by elcent