WikiLeaks website again offline after company cuts DNS service

News_Editor

To be serious for a moment, since the criticality of the locations is, at best an opinion of embassy staffers, let's not get too carried away here. For example note the prevalence of Tamiflu producers which might, just might, link back to the topic de jour in Feb 2009 re 'rampaging flu' [that wasn't] rather than a strategic national security issue.

Is this list really such a 'gift'? Only to the indolent and foolish, and whilst one may suggest that 'terrorists' are the latter they are, unfortunately, not the former. After all many of these commercial sites throw up a real serious but publicly debated issue, in that the US corporate sector has moved so far away from manufacturing that key critical elements [not on this list] are now to all intents and purposes only available from abroad.

The exposure to foreign political or supply risk is in a large degree due to the fixation with the 90 day reporting cycle superseding any national interest, even within defence contractors. For example, I was stunned a short while ago whilst discussing with a well known company about sourcing, a technical component, not bleeding edge but one that would be used in a wide variety of technical equipment [with more than a small number having potential military usage] to be told that not one contractor in the US was capable of producing it! No prizes for guessing where the production had ended up. Later in the discussion I wondered out loud if the US could run or supply [not talking about economics here] an Apollo style programme, the answer was in the negative.

If this list made people think about that issue maybe it would have served a very useful purpose.

Finally, a headline is just that, an attention grabber, often with little value in and of itself, so, no I don't agree with The Times sub-editor on this, but I can see why he/she chose it.

Regards

The Australian Newspaper:

A spokesman for Downing Street condemned the unauthorised release of classified information, saying: "The leaks and their publication are damaging to national security in the United States, Britain and elsewhere.

Colonel Richard Kemp, a retired army officer with experience of intelligence issues, felt that the revelations were highly irresponsible and could cost lives. "I think it's obviously not a great thing to have that kind of information in the public domain. It just helps the terrorists to do their job. If terrorist groups are looking to attack the UK's critical infrastructure then this has given them a big steer," he said.

Attorney General Robert McClelland said publication of the sites was reckless and had implications for our security.

"There is information in these documents that, when published, could seriously impact the national security of the United States and its allies, including Australia.

"The Australian Government condemns the publication of these documents."

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have all we need to know from Wickileaks.

You can't believe government - any government. The world is rotten to the core; our politicians are inveterate liars; the truth is more damaging than any bomb. Hence, you have to hide it, deny it as such, never let it out not even for a moment, never speak of it to any one, and never trust it.

Also, you have to believe that you and you alone have the right to know the facts.

That's the world we live in. Distortion, equivocation and lies, big lies and statistics. Government statistics.

Now we know it and long may that continue through the publishing of Wickileaks.

America is using every dirty trick in the book to bring down the Publisher by any means.

The truth about him will be distorted to match their agenda of stopping the leaks. If thy get away with it he'll have his very own Guantanamo, guard dogs, photos and hoods.

And remember this; the governments have fed the media with lies, propagandist lies. Wickipedia arrives and publishes the Govs. own memos, notes of understanding, memorandum. They don't deny it is true.

They can't deny it is true and yet they've told us the opposite for years.

The truth has been buried. What has and does appear in the Press is propaganda. Nothing else.

Now we have one free voice singing a different song.

Long may it continue. But at least we all know now not to believe but to question what we are told by Government.

Well said and it's the cold truth about MOST Governments, not just the USA or CHINA...

as an example:

In my own country, one of the most populated countries in the world, ALL successive Governments have been lying for DECADES to the people, telling them there were NO Nuclear Weapons on our soil...Nuclear Weapaons, a Chique word for ATOMIC BOMBS.

Well...let me tell you; THERE ARE MANY ATOMIC BOMBS ON OUR SOIL; put there by the US ! :annoyed:

Tell me, you apologists and allowing your governments to cheat and lie upon you, living in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, or Bangkok.....shall I ask my government to move them and put them in YOUR backyard?

LaoPo

If you were a U.S. citizen you'd not only have them in your backyard already but you would have had decades of radiation exposure from testing as well so the answer to your question is a moot point, you are not unique or so special and there are many like my family who have a much better case against my government about that who never get an ear....

I'm also curious as to why it's always the U.S. mentioned as IF no other countries have them?? And due to more primitive technology most of them have more of em with less safe guards in place..

Just imagine if a top presidential aid under Clinton can loose the launch codes for a period of 3 months what are the possibilities in countries like Pakistan for instance? :o:(

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sorry to say, but some of these posts really crack me up. The posts which go on and on about the "corrupt" US government being exposed by the latest round of leaks is really pretty funny. The leaks can be embarrassing, sure. But because some Saudi government official confides to a US embassy official that the Saudis are concerned about Iran's growing power, or that another foreign official is not the sharpest pencil in the box, that does not show corruption.

US State Department personnel report what they find. THat is their job. If an official of another country tells them something, it gets reported. If an analysis is made about another official, it gets reported. This is not corruption.

And I daresay all other countries do the exact same thing. I am sure that there are volumes of reports on what Hillary Clinton watched on television at night at the last G20 meeting, or what foods Obama simply can't stand, much less more vital information about the US.

Sorry to say, but some of these posts really crack me up. The posts which go on and on about the "corrupt" US government being exposed by the latest round of leaks is really pretty funny. The leaks can be embarrassing, sure. But because some Saudi government official confides to a US embassy official that the Saudis are concerned about Iran's growing power, or that another foreign official is not the sharpest pencil in the box, that does not show corruption.

US State Department personnel report what they find. THat is their job. If an official of another country tells them something, it gets reported. If an analysis is made about another official, it gets reported. This is not corruption.

And I daresay all other countries do the exact same thing. I am sure that there are volumes of reports on what Hillary Clinton watched on television at night at the last G20 meeting, or what foods Obama simply can't stand, much less more vital information about the US.

Yeah and moreover with all the Israeli bashing about the Iranians it turns out to be the most concerned are the Saudis!! Hysterical to say the least :cheesy: :cheesy: ...

A spokesman for Downing Street condemned the unauthorised release of classified information, saying: "The leaks and their publication are damaging to national security in the United States, Britain and elsewhere.

Colonel Richard Kemp, a retired army officer with experience of intelligence issues, felt that the revelations were highly irresponsible and could cost lives. "I think it's obviously not a great thing to have that kind of information in the public domain.

There was a time when the location of GCHQ (the main British electronic signals intelligence outfit) was classified as Top Secret. Because of this the public in the UK didn't know where it was. The Soviet Union, of course, knew exactly where it was.

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 507 sites (updated 2010-12-06 14:02 GMT) (UP from this morning's 208 sites; now 500+)

http://wikileaks.ch/mirrors.html

I randomly opened about 20 MIRROR sites and they all open up instantly.

The support for WikiLeaks is increasing by the hour.

1 week ago there were about 200.000 TWITTER people "who like WikiLeaks" and this morning around 600.000...

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 507 sites (updated 2010-12-06 14:02 GMT) (UP from this morning's 208 sites; now 500+)

1 week ago there were about 200.000 TWITTER people "who like WikiLeaks" and this morning around 600.000...

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Thanks good link LP :wai:

I do note that it has been down a few times this past week but good to see it is up.

I agree the support is strong

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

I do note that it has been down a few times this past week but good to see it is up.

It's amazing; 1 hour ago the counter was at 893.000...... now 900.732*

7.000+ in one hour and 700.000 in 1 week. :o

Truly amazing, although Goverments, Banks and other officials etc.are putting up the pressure against WikiLeaks, frustrated and afraid as they are, trying to hide the secrets they are fooling their own citizens with....

This is likely becoming the largest Internet Battle ever seen in the -short- history of Internet but it shows the enormous Power and Freedom on the Internet and that it is impossible for Governments to stop the evergrowing MIRROR sites and Freedom of Speech, not just because of WikiLeaks but also for countries, gagging their citizens; it seems however that BECAUSE of WikiLeaks, more and more Governments are feeling the heat and are now trying to gag their own citizens by telling their civil servants, students and military staff NOT to look and search or talk for/about WikiLeaks documents....it's like putting cookies in front of children and tell them......don't touch it :rolleyes:

It's almost the same story as with the PENTAGON PAPERS by whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg with the only difference that WikiLeaks didn't copy and steal the documents like Ellsberg did with more than 7.000 documents, one-by-one on a simple copier/Xerox.

But Mr. Ellsberg almost single handedly took care of exposing the corrupt and lying Administration/CIA and started the beginning of the end of the horrible Vietnam War where 58.000 American soldiers lost their lives, next to 2 million Vietnamese soldiers and civilians :(

He saved many thousands of more casualties on both sides because of his whistleblowing.

Who won?

Nobody; everybody lost, due to the corrupt Government.

* I had to go, writing this letter, but the counter is not 900.732 anymore now that I'm back an hour later:

It's now at 907.879 !!!

LaoPo

I see on the news here in Australia that the 'targets' in australia that were leaked are really of no consequence. One is even the 'target' of a snake antidote stockpile that could be detrimental to US national security if it were hit. REALLY???

The news organisation then stated that wikileaks didn't actually give the address of the 'targets' in australia but merely named the companies. I haven't looked into that so not able to confirm, I just take as said.

Of further note is that Assange is now threatening to sue the Australian PM for slander.

I really don't care about 'targets' or gossip between ambassadors. The highlight so far for me is Hillary Clinton asking to spy on the UN. But what I really am interested in are the leaks coming up about the banks.

I really don't care about 'targets' or gossip between ambassadors. The highlight so far for me is Hillary Clinton asking to spy on the UN. But what I really am interested in are the leaks coming up about the banks.

True but with regards to the banks....I think it will be more of a confirmation of what we have known for a couple of years now.

They are corrupt to the core & make money both ways as they are perceived as

"To Big Too Fail"

As AMR once said...

Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws.

Mayer Amschel Rothschild

Edited by flying

I see on the news here in Australia that the 'targets' in australia that were leaked are really of no consequence. One is even the 'target' of a snake antidote stockpile that could be detrimental to US national security if it were hit. REALLY???

The news organisation then stated that wikileaks didn't actually give the address of the 'targets' in australia but merely named the companies. I haven't looked into that so not able to confirm, I just take as said.

Of further note is that Assange is now threatening to sue the Australian PM for slander.

post-26885-0-08175500-1291683311_thumb.j

I see on the news here in Australia that the 'targets' in australia that were leaked are really of no consequence. to spy on the UN. But what I really am interested in are the leaks coming up about the banks.

Australia is not the only country on the possible hit-list.

http://wikileaks.ch/mirrl

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Paris Hilton has 3million+ followers on Twitter. Wikileaks isn't as popular as Paris Hilton. Says something doesn't it?

Maybe if you organize an email campaign wikileaks will be able to top Womans Wear Daily's 1.6million followers.

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Truly amazing, although Goverments, Banks and other officials etc.are putting up the pressure against WikiLeaks, frustrated and afraid as they are, trying to hide the secrets they are fooling their own citizens with....

This is likely becoming the largest Internet Battle ever seen in the -short- history of Internet but it shows the enormous Power and Freedom on the Internet and that it is impossible for Governments to stop the evergrowing MIRROR sites and Freedom of Speech, not just because of WikiLeaks but also for countries, gagging their citizens; it seems however that BECAUSE of WikiLeaks, more and more Governments are feeling the heat and are now trying to gag their own citizens by telling their civil servants, students and military staff NOT to look and search or talk for/about WikiLeaks documents....it's like putting cookies in front of children and tell them......don't touch it :rolleyes:

It's almost the same story as with the PENTAGON PAPERS by whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg with the only difference that WikiLeaks didn't copy and steal the documents like Ellsberg did with more than 7.000 documents, one-by-one on a simple copier/Xerox.

But Mr. Ellsberg almost single handedly took care of exposing the corrupt and lying Administration/CIA and started the beginning of the end of the horrible Vietnam War where 58.000 American soldiers lost their lives, next to 2 million Vietnamese soldiers and civilians :(

He saved many thousands of more casualties on both sides because of his whistleblowing.

Who won?

* I had to go, writing this letter, but the counter is not 900.732 anymore now that I'm back an hour later:

It's now at 907.879 !!!

LaoPo

A Taliban spokesman in Afghanistan using the pseudonym Zabiullah Mujahid said in a telephone interview that the Taliban had formed a nine-member “commission” after the Afghan documents were posted “to find about people who are spying.” He said the Taliban had a “wanted” list of 1,800 Afghans and was comparing that with names WikiLeaks provided. “After the process is completed, our Taliban court will decide about such people,” he said.

Mr. Assange said a senior Australian official told him, “You play outside the rules, and you will be dealt with outside the rules.”

NY Times.

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Not surprising that people support freedom over authoritarian governmental control.

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Who won?

It's now at 907.879 !!!

LaoPo

A Taliban spokesman in Afghanistan using the pseudonym Zabiullah Mujahid said in a telephone interview that the Taliban had formed a nine-member “commission” after the Afghan documents were posted “to find about people who are spying.” He said the Taliban had a “wanted” list of 1,800 Afghans and was comparing that with names WikiLeaks provided. “After the process is completed, our Taliban court will decide about such people,” he said.

Mr. Assange said a senior Australian official told him, “You play outside the rules, and you will be dealt with outside the rules.”

NY Times.

So now the Australian government too are willing to abandon the rule of law. These governments sure love unrestricted power, authoritarianism and the ability to decide who lives and dies. The ability in a matter of weeks for western democraciesd to undermine their own values, constitutions and to do so withotu any attempt to hide it is astounding.

If Assange and wikileaks are breaking laws use the criminal justice system to deal with them. If there arent laws to deal with them, then they arent breaking laws. One can only wonder what "rules" Assange is deemed top be playing outside.

Colonel Richard Kemp, a retired army officer with experience of intelligence issues, felt that the revelations were highly irresponsible and could cost lives. "I think it's obviously not a great thing to have that kind of information in the public domain.

There was a time when the location of GCHQ (the main British electronic signals intelligence outfit) was classified as Top Secret. Because of this the public in the UK didn't know where it was. The Soviet Union, of course, knew exactly where it was.

Yeah,that's exactly the point.

So did the Americans, French, IRA and Plaid Cymru...........

One can only wonder what "rules" Assange is deemed top be playing outside.

The laws against espionage. :ph34r:

Clearly bnot as the Australians are not saying he will be dealt with by the rules ie laws. They state he will dealt with outside the rules ie laws. Maybe an Australian citizen could take a case out against whoever said that

It was a warning given to him by a person in the Australian Federal Police. Wasn't a threat, he was just being warned to expect everything to be thrown at him and it best to lay low and be very aware.

I thought it meant that the Aussie Gov was not taking their lead from some of the posters on TV and in fact were still aware of the realities of today's world. Any number of Australian government officials have said as much.

True, but this was said specifically to him. Not just said in a broad sense. It was not long after that the swedish 'incident' came to light. Though I'm not going so far as to say that the US govt had anything to do with it, in the first instance. Just seems strange that the matter was dropped and then reared again so soon.

Though in my humble opinion, the Swedish charges are really going to be an insignificant non event in the grand scheme of things. I imagine it will be the least of his worries.

True, but this was said specifically to him. Not just said in a broad sense. It was not long after that the swedish 'incident' came to light. Though I'm not going so far as to say that the US govt had anything to do with it, in the first instance. Just seems strange that the matter was dropped and then reared again so soon.

Though in my humble opinion, the Swedish charges are really going to be an insignificant non event in the grand scheme of things. I imagine it will be the least of his worries.

It has been reported that he is going to take on Russia next. The Russians are I'm sure aware of this. I would not give much for his chances right now. Bad enough America, but Russia and America at the same time. And of course the most dangerous person in the world Hillary, ask Bill. I would move to Thailand and keep a low profile. Hang out in the bars and post on TV for kicks.

http://wikileaks.ch/mirrl

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Paris Hilton has 3million+ followers on Twitter. Wikileaks isn't as popular as Paris Hilton. Says something doesn't it?

Maybe if you organize an email campaign wikileaks will be able to top Womans Wear Daily's 1.6million followers.

And how long did that take her? :whistling:

WikiLeaks will easily surpass PH.

LaoPo

A Taliban spokesman in Afghanistan using the pseudonym Zabiullah Mujahid said in a telephone interview that the Taliban had formed a nine-member "commission" after the Afghan documents were posted "to find about people who are spying." He said the Taliban had a "wanted" list of 1,800 Afghans and was comparing that with names WikiLeaks provided. "After the process is completed, our Taliban court will decide about such people," he said.

You think the Afghani guy with the $ 52 million cash is amongst those on the list ? <_<

The Taliban has a "wanted list"...oh I'm sure. ALL western soldiers and aid staff are on that list; what the heck are you talking about :blink:

post-13995-0-10177300-1291727165_thumb.p

As of October 20, 2010, there have been 2,095 coalition deaths in Afghanistan as part of ongoing coalition operations (Operation Enduring Freedom and ISAF) since the invasion in 2001.[1]

from Wiki.

Since when are you listening to what the Taliban has to say?

LaoPo

now close to 900.000

LaoPo

Not surprising that people support freedom over authoritarian governmental control.

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 748 sites (updated 2010-12-07 08:33 GMT)

http://wikileaks.emptyflask.net/mirrors.html

LaoPo

WikiLeaks gets some of its own medicine. :clap2:

Julian Assange of WikiLeaks is fighting a lot of enemies right now, including at least one from an unexpected place: The computer underground.

A hacker calling himself The Jester or "th3 j35t3r" in hacker spelling said he took on WikiLeaks and was able to render the site useless temporarily on several occasions.

"TANGO DOWN - for attempting to endanger the lives of our troops, 'other assets' & foreign relations," The Jester wrote on his Twitter feed after his first alleged success at disrupting WikiLeaks on Nov. 28.

The Jester appeared on the underground scene in January and has been tormenting pro-jihadist websites for months, employing denial of service attacks with a specialized tool he calls "Xerxes." But he has risen to international fame since he turned his virtual weapon on WikiLeaks.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2010/12/julian-assange-of-wikileaks-is-fighting-a-lot-of-enemies-right-now-including-at-least-one-from-an-unexpected-place-the-comp.html

Edited by Ulysses G.

WikiLeaks gets some of its own medicine.

You think so?

Wikileaks defended by hacktivists

7 December 2010 Last updated at 12:40 GMT

Internet hacktivists have fired the latest salvo in the Wikileaks infowar.

A group called Anonymous has hit sites that have refused to do business with the controversial whistle-blowing site with a series of distributed denial-of-service attacks.

It mirrors similar attacks aimed at the Wikileaks site.

Targets include the Swiss bank that froze founder Julian Assange's assets and PayPal which has stopped processing donations to Wikileaks.

Anonymous is a loose-knit group of hacktivists, with links to the notorious message board 4chan.

Increased traffic

A member of Anonymous who calls himself Coldblood told the BBC that "multiple things are being done".

"Websites that are bowing down to government pressure have become targets," he said.

"As an organisation we have always taken a strong stance on censorship and freedom of expression on the internet and come out against those who seek to destroy it by any means."

"We feel that Wikileaks has become more than just about leaking of documents, it has become a war ground, the people vs. the government," he said.

So far the denial-of-service attacks (DDoS), which swamp a site with so many requests that it becomes overwhelmed, have failed to take any sites offline although that is not the point of the attack, according to Coldblood.

DDoS attacks are illegal in many countries, including the UK.

"The idea is not to wipe them off but to give the companies a wake-up call," he said. "Companies will notice the increase in traffic and an increase in traffic means increase in costs associated with running a website."

Continues:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-11935539

Note: this is a serious Internet War and suppressive and corrupt Governments can't do a thing about it. FINALLY the people have a tool the former can't stop (anymore*).

* Thanks to a great American: Daniel Ellsberg who exposed the PENTAGON PAPERS ! :clap2:

We should start an action to raise money for 2 statues in Bronze in front of Congress; 1 for Daniel Ellsberg and 1 for Julian Assange called:

The Leak Brothers... :rolleyes:

LaoPo