Introducing Myself

Hi Ive been a member with Thai Visa for a few years now, but this is the first time Ive posted on the Photography section. Im opening a Thai cafe in the UK and as part of the decor I would like to have a large black and white panoramic print (4m long 1.1m wide)showing Thai's eating street food. It's an image that you see all over Thailand and Im trying to portray this atmosphere in the cafe.

If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful.

Regards GE.

I assume you mean something like this but done as a panorama with more detail. it can be done but with a bit of work on the detail. When you blow up a picture that large you need the detail done with an expensive SLR camera. And, you DO need the original size rather than a reduced photo quality like this picture.

Chiang_Mai_market_4.jpg

Doing some rough calculations for 200 dpi resolution:

4 meters x 39"/meter = 156"

156" x 200 dpi = 31,200 pixels wide

1.1 meter x 39 = 429"

429" x 200 dpi = 8580 pixels tall

So with a 16 Mpixel camera that would be about 6-7 panoramic images stitched horizontal. Lower resolution cameras such as 12 Mpixels and/or higher print dpi will require more photos for the panorama.

• 2 weeks later...

I already took a series of over lapping photos of a number of cooking carts. The problem I'm having with stitching them together is the people in the photos keep moving and changing the background. The cooking carts only come out in the evening, just before dusk, and just as the traffic starts to get heavy. It will take a LOT of Photoshop work to cut and paste the people in and out of the pictures while leaving the background in place. I first wanted to take the pictures from the road, but the traffic is so heavy at that time in the afternoon that I can't stand in the road more than a few seconds.

I already took a series of over lapping photos of a number of cooking carts. The problem I'm having with stitching them together is the people in the photos keep moving and changing the background. The cooking carts only come out in the evening, just before dusk, and just as the traffic starts to get heavy. It will take a LOT of Photoshop work to cut and paste the people in and out of the pictures while leaving the background in place. I first wanted to take the pictures from the road, but the traffic is so heavy at that time in the afternoon that I can't stand in the road more than a few seconds.

This is a VERY rough patchwork of what I tried. It would need to be done all over to get the over-lapping done properly. As already mentioned, it would need a lot of Photoshop work done to get it correct.

Is this what you had in mind?

Street_scene.jpg

This will not be a big enough image as you'll need a multiple shot panorama ... but thought you might like to see this as it sums up the many joys of Thai street eating .....

I have other shots of street stalls and can send the full sized images if they are any use?

That pic would be great if it wasn't for the lb

totster :)

This will not be a big enough image as you'll need a multiple shot panorama ... but thought you might like to see this as it sums up the many joys of Thai street eating .....

I have other shots of street stalls and can send the full sized images if they are any use?

I like it. It catches the atmosphere but there is also a touch of spice and humour there at the same time. Its also close up so you can see the anticipation on their faces. More like this but on a panaramic scale please.

G.E

Great advice and much appreciated Ian and Tywais. Now all I need is someone to take the photo for me. Do you guys know anyone I can commision to do the job?

If you do employ someone you must see examples of previous work and make sure that the photographer in question has the necessary equipment (such as a wide-angle or fish eye lens), as you seem to want here. You should bear in mind that photography has undergone a revolution since digital cameras came along. It's now relatively inexpensive for anyone to set up their own studio, unlike in the past. What you get these days is a lot of less experienced photographers on the market promising a lot but delivering a little, so be careful. You don't want to waste time and money on someone who is keener on making a quick buck than doing a decent job. Make sure you check out their previous work and ask them what the main challenges they will face with your project are. If you're satisfied with what you see from their work and what you hear from their proposal to do the work then proceed.

When do you need it done by? I would offer myself bu8t I won't be in BKK for at least another month.

I like it. It catches the atmosphere but there is also a touch of spice and humour there at the same time. Its also close up so you can see the anticipation on their faces. More like this but on a panaramic scale please.

G.E

It sounds like the OP would prefer having a series of single shots of Thai people eating rather than an actual panorama. You can't make a proper panorama of single shots other than just stitching them together. That can be done quite easily by anyone with a good camera. All that's necessary is taking the appropriate shots with similar lighting. And, it would probably make a more interesting poster than just a panorama of a series of food stalls. I wasn't even considering charging a fee.