Importing Used Truck From The United States

NanLaew

My old Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup has just had the transmission and rear diff replaced so despite the 130,000 miles on the clock, it would be nice to tool around in it over here.

Anyone know the procedures, pro's and cons of bringing a used truck in from the US?

Pretty obvious the steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side; like that makes a difference here. I am in Udon and the streets are crowded most weekends with trucks from Laos that have similarly placed steering wheels and they don't seem to have issues.

The truck is worth about $4k so even if Customs Officer Somsuk levies the legal minimum (total) 182% duties, taxes and fees, its still cheaper than a used Vigo... and much more fun.... think Songkran!

post-35874-0-38773300-1291476976_thumb.j

So, if there are any TV members with actual knowledge of vehicle importing, maybe having their own ex-im business, I would like to hear some knowledge-based opinions on the procedure and pitfalls. Googled some information and it's not impossible. They key appears to being legally entitled to import (Non-B visa and WP) and a house book as well as having proof that it's used and belongs to me (130,000 on the clock and possessing title) and parked in my garage in Houston.

Edited by NanLaew

Pretty obvious the steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side; like that makes a difference here. I am in Udon and the streets are crowded most weekends with trucks from Laos that have similarly placed steering wheels and they don't seem to have issues.

The truck is worth about $4k so even if Customs Officer Somsuk levies the legal minimum (total) 182% duties, taxes and fees, its still cheaper than a used Vigo... and much more fun.... think Songkran!

So, if there are any TV members with actual knowledge of vehicle importing, maybe having their own ex-im business, I would like to hear some knowledge-based opinions on the procedure and pitfalls. Googled some information and it's not impossible. They key appears to being legally entitled to import (Non-B visa and WP) and a house book as well as having proof that it's used and belongs to me (130,000 on the clock and possessing title) and parked in my garage in Houston.

2000 Ram 1500 Sport 360 Magnum?

I guess Custom would say its 1,2 million baht, deduct age and look at 500k baht? then 80% importduty is 400k. ad 50% excise 450k baht. ad 7% vat and you r getting there, 1,5 mill baht of which 950k duty/taxes.

Roadworthiness should be simple as Thailand accepts DOT lights and I assume cat/emission is ok. It will be classified as a passenger car, as its petrolengine is above 3000cc and load capacity is less than 1 ton/1.000kg, yearly road tax for 3000cc is 6.800 baht, dont know how much for 5900cc.

I guess Custom would say its 1,2 million baht, deduct age and look at 500k baht? then 80% importduty is 400k. ad 50% excise 450k baht. ad 7% vat and you r getting there, 1,5 mill baht of which 950k duty/taxes.

Roadworthiness should be simple as Thailand accepts DOT lights and I assume cat/emission is ok. It will be classified as a passenger car, as its petrolengine is above 3000cc and load capacity is less than 1 ton/1.000kg, yearly road tax for 3000cc is 6.800 baht, dont know how much for 5900cc.

I'd be surprised if customs values it as low as 1.2M Baht - My guess would be somewhere between 1-2M after age is factored in.

In many cases, customs valuations have little to do with what the car would actually be worth pre-tax.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I'd be surprised if customs values it as low as 1.2M Baht - My guess would be somewhere between 1-2M after age is factored in.

In many cases, customs valuations have little to do with what the car would actually be worth pre-tax.

40k USD, close to MSRP as I recall, to be found on Dodge homepage

Yes, true. My POV is that it's highly likely someone who knows the right someone will think it's a great replacement for their VIGO ;) At which point it's value starts increasing until the rightful owner gives up.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Yes, true. My POV is that it's highly likely someone who knows the right someone will think it's a great replacement for their VIGO ;) At which point it's value starts increasing until the rightful owner gives up.

not unlikely

appearance is everything in LOS, and a 10 year old paint can be made very uggly prior to export, in addition to lost headlights/rearlights/ECU, and value could be close to real life MSRP :)

BTW 360 runs excellent on LPG, 10mm LPG pipes needed though

not unlikely

appearance is everything in LOS, and a 10 year old paint can be made very uggly prior to export, in addition to lost headlights/rearlights/ECU, and value could be close to real life MSRP :)

BTW 360 runs excellent on LPG, 10mm LPG pipes needed though

LOL. Point taken... I guess I can get my mates it bring it over piece by piece.