Locking Router

jonny48

hi all

i have an smc wi fi router, and i think other people are using it , i know you can put a password on it, but cant work out how , i have got as far as logging in to the router, after that it all gets a bit confusing. can anyone help me in realy simple terms.

cheers

Can you share the model number? (Maybe look on the bottom.)

Change the username/password access, to the router from the default setting to something new and unique now.

Also disable WLAN/WiFi management, if you can figure that out. (This would prevent someone from managing your device over a WiFi link.)

Can you also share the types of devices you use to access this router over WiFi? Notebook PC's? Operating systems? Smartphones?

Edited by lomatopo

I have the 3BB Billion BIPAC 5200GR4! I'd like to change the password too. Called 3 BB they said they would call back!!! Nothing happened! I'd like to do it myself but I need some suggestions! How can I lock it. There was a password pre-installed but apparently you can still get in from outside!!!

Thanks

http://www.smc.com/files/AO/MN_7904WBRA2.pdf

See page 4-34

Simply put, you'll need to set up wireless security on your router. Maybe choose WPA, and a pass-phrase with letters and numbers. Then set up your PC by looking for your WiFi SSID, connecting and selecting WPA and entering the pass-phrase.

You should be able to see if anyone else is on your router. STATUS, DHCP CLIENT LOG.

http://www.smc.com/files/AJ/QIG_SMC7904WBRA2_EN.pdf

I have the 3BB Billion BIPAC 5200GR4! I'd like to change the password too. Called 3 BB they said they would call back!!! Nothing happened! I'd like to do it myself but I need some suggestions! How can I lock it. There was a password pre-installed but apparently you can still get in from outside!!!

Thanks

3BB may want to be able to remotely access the router for trouble-shooting? Not sure how much you can change on this router without flashing generic firmware?

Are you tying to change the administrative password or the WiFi password?

I think the administrative access is:

username: admin

password: 3bb TTT

http://www.3bb.co.th/cus_support/download/manual/Billion_BIPAC_5200G_R4_(OLD).pdf

Edited by lomatopo

most routers now come pre-configured to require a password such as the last 5 digits on the number located on the bottom of the router. Your router also has a unique IP that if you log into will allow you set many settings including security. Take a look at the manual or CD that came with the router or simply call your service provider who provided you the router.

google is your friend:

http://bc.whirlpool....ew&model_id=786

this provides enough information for you to log on to your router.

Default IP address:192.168.2.1 Default admin username: Admin Default admin password: smcadmin

set up WEP encryptionunless you want to use n band on your router. WPA can be a bit of a headache.

goodluck. it really isnt rocket science. if you have trouble find the nearest 10 year old to help.

Edited by nocturn

To setup a truly secure wifi router will require lots and lots of information most of which can be googled for but the list of required configuration must have are these:

1. Network encryption/password -- WPA2/AES would be the obvious choice for this role as WEP and WPA are not considered the safest for this role.

2. Disabling SSID broadcasting, the most people casual peoples will not be able to 'see' your router. (Though people who really want to will still be able to.)

2. MAC client filtering on the router so that only the specified MAC addresses which belong to the machines that are allowed can contact the router.

3. Turning down the transmit power of your router to limit how far the signal will extend outside of your home.

With those options enabled you should have a pretty bullet-proof setup that will keep out all but the most hardcore of people. Again finally for information to do all of these especially with your specific router google will be your friend.

Finally a bit of fun, try changing your SSID (the name people see when they scan for wifi networks) to something like Virus.exe / Connect-if-you-wanna-die or something similar might also be in your best interest.

Edited by momosan

To setup a truly secure wifi router will require lots and lots of information most of which can be googled for but the list of required configuration must have are these:

1. Network encryption/password -- WPA2/AES would be the obvious choice for this role as WEP and WPA are not considered the safest for this role.

2. Disabling SSID broadcasting, the most people casual peoples will not be able to 'see' your router. (Though people who really want to will still be able to.)

2. MAC client filtering on the router so that only the specified MAC addresses which belong to the machines that are allowed can contact the router.

3. Turning down the transmit power of your router to limit how far the signal will extend outside of your home.

With those options enabled you should have a pretty bullet-proof setup that will keep out all but the most hardcore of people. Again finally for information to do all of these especially with your specific router google will be your friend.

Finally a bit of fun, try changing your SSID (the name people see when they scan for wifi networks) to something like Virus.exe / Connect-if-you-wanna-die or something similar might also be in your best interest.

there are only two things that really matter: using WPA/WPA2 *and* using a strong, non-dictionary password. you can use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for example.

Thanks

3BB may want to be able to remotely access the router for trouble-shooting? Not sure how much you can change on this router without flashing generic firmware?

http://www.3bb.co.th/cus_support/download/manual/Billion_BIPAC_5200G_R4_(OLD).pdf

I am trying to change the WEP password because a friend of mine had no problems getting into my WLAN network from outside. I want to secure it so that neighbours can't use it!!

Thanks

http://www.3bb.co.th...C_5200G_R4_(OLD).pdf

I am trying to change the WEP password because a friend of mine had no problems getting into my WLAN network from outside. I want to secure it so that neighbours can't use it!!

Use WPA2 encryption, wep is not secure. Turn off the admin possibilities from the WAN side (internet) and use strong passwords everywhere.

There is no reason to give 3bb access to your stuff...

Martin