Possible Manual Clutch Problem ?

coconut

Coconut,

Glad to hear you got things fixed. Stress fractures can be caused by many factors, to include metal that was not properly heat treated during manufacturer and the cracks takes years to appear just from normal usage (or they can appear early through overstress). Wasn't clear to me if you replaced the pilot and throwout bearing also (maybe I just missed it), but if it had been me I would have replaced both of these in addition to the clutch plate since pilot bearings are cheap (although they generally last a long, long time) and throw-out bearings can be prone to failure/not last longer than a clutch plate.

Cheers,

Pib

100% agree. Very few parts involved with clutch operation, and when you have a problem, clutch wise, it is folly not to replace the few items when it is stripped down. :)

Yes, i agree, fit a new flywheel, and while thats off, renew the crank seal, new plate, clutch cover, thrust brg and new turret shaft, when the turret shaft cover is off, replace the gbox oil seal, and dont forget the thrust brg arm, that might be worn, also the post it pivots on, and the cable, it might be frayed or stretched? if hydrualic you might want to replace the slave and master cylinder, and even the clutch pedal rubber, wopee, big money!!

Our truck has done 195.000k since new, hauling farm fruit, building stuff ect, no clutch problems atall,

It does seem strange to me that some poster/s here canot see that the cracks in the pics do not go anywhere near the top or bottom of the springs, which would suggest bad driving on the OPs part, as i said before, the cracks are in the "cover" and nothing to do with stress, it was the removal of the box that caused the cracks, any fool can see that there is no chafing marks or dust near the cracks!

And you doubt the courses ive been on? you really are a sad git,, just because somebody knows better than you, mr hands on....

Wow!! Really did not mean to start a war by posting my clutch experience at the Toyota Dealer.

Pib, yes the Pilot and Throwout bearings were replaced as you, Transam and others suggested.

A visual inspection of both these bearings showed absolutely no evidence of scratches or distortion. Also ran my fingers over and around these bearings and could feel no scratches. The Pilot Bearing end of the Transmission Input Shaft, looked and felt scratch free.

Lickey, They did use a transmission jack, which they also used as a resting place for the clutch/transmission, when they got tired of manhandling it, during the removal. The only minor damage I saw, was to the metal(?) gasket around the flywheel housing where the Clutch Housing bolts to. Probably caused by the crowbars.

The only problem I have now is , it will probable take another 500 to 1000Km before I stop imagining strange sounds coming from the transmission/clutch housing, when driving off-road, far from any Toyota Dealer.

Wow!! Really did not mean to start a war by posting my clutch experience at the Toyota Dealer.

Pib, yes the Pilot and Throwout bearings were replaced as you, Transam and others suggested.

A visual inspection of both these bearings showed absolutely no evidence of scratches or distortion. Also ran my fingers over and around these bearings and could feel no scratches. The Pilot Bearing end of the Transmission Input Shaft, looked and felt scratch free.

Lickey, They did use a transmission jack, which they also used as a resting place for the clutch/transmission, when they got tired of manhandling it, during the removal. The only minor damage I saw, was to the metal(?) gasket around the flywheel housing where the Clutch Housing bolts to. Probably caused by the crowbars.

The only problem I have now is , it will probable take another 500 to 1000Km before I stop imagining strange sounds coming from the transmission/clutch housing, when driving off-road, far from any Toyota Dealer.

Christ, lets hope it doesn't re-appear eh :unsure:.

Just hope they checked the main shaft splines for burr's and slid the new plate on the shaft to see that it moved freely before assembly.

As for disagreements here, well, we learn a lot with occasionally disagreeing with stuff, no harm done and that's what a motoring forum is for, trying to find answers. :D

Glad you changed the throw-out bearing also. Where they usually go back is the internal bearings part, not so much the external part. You should be good to go for at least another 100,000KM.

Edited by Pib