Chonburi Man Transfers 700,000 Baht To Unknown Accounts In ATM Scam

webfact

This story is so ludicrous he has to be trying to cover up the reasons for a large deficit in his bank account, probably to a wife3 or business partner.

SCB uses a OTP (One time pass) to open up a transfer to another bank.

<br />
<br />a few point sound weird .<br /><br />unless you had tranfer huge amount before , you would know that the basic limit would be about 20k per tranfer  . and then folow by a CAp limit of about 100k or is it 80k per days .<br /><br />in order to do so you need to call in and change your limit .<br /><br />do do 700k  a days or in one ATM tranfer seem so weird .<br /><br />so till the truth is out . it seem like something strange  that don;t matches  or some lose end had not been tie up .<br />
<br /><br /><br />I was thinking the same that the  maximum with Kasikorn is 200K cap<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Lots of banks allow you to increase the limit. often to 200k. I assume for the elite there will be no limit. After all they are involved in all kinds of cash like businesses. A boxing commentator transferring money following English language instructions looks to me like paying to a bookie.

I have upped my limit to 300k, but I still have to make 20k maximum tranfers and get charged for every one if not transfering to the same bank in the same city. When I asked if I could alter this due to the charges I was told its the same everywhere in Thailand with all the banks, so to be able to transfer 500k and 200k in one lump seems strange.

Not to sound insensitive but this is a perfect example of Thai mentality.

This is one of the more asinine comments I've seen. This sort of scam and others like it go on all over the world. You must not get out much. Either that or you're not the brightest bulb in the room.

No different to many other nationalities. This sort of thing frequently happens to citizens of USA, UK and many other places. There are various forms, but they all entail giving your details to a stranger over the phone. So not sure why you are singly out Thai mentality. From what I have seen, they are certainly no worse than USA, UK mentality for these sorts of scams.

I wondered that myself....

This is one of the more asinine comments I've seen. This sort of scam and others like it go on all over the world. You must not get out much. Either that or you're not the brightest bulb in the room.

Considering that you do get out much and are the brightest bulb in the room, perhaps you could post some link to other scam just like this one happening in other parts of the world.

No different to many other nationalities. This sort of thing frequently happens to citizens of USA, UK and many other places. There are various forms, but they all entail giving your details to a stranger over the phone. So not sure why you are singly out Thai mentality. From what I have seen, they are certainly no worse than USA, UK mentality for these sorts of scams.

For starters, Western mentality is to question things. Yes people give out details to a fraudulent emails requests. They do not give out this kind if info just to someone on the phone.

People do question when they asked to change a language from their native tongue to another.

And lastly people do not transfer money out TWICE.

Thai mentality is not to question anything but it is so because they been told it is so.

For Western scam to work, they go to fine details of making same emails, same artwork and many other fine details.

Considering that you do get out much and are the brightest bulb in the room, perhaps you could post some link to other scam just like this one happening in other parts of the world.

Are you kidding me? This sort of scam happens every day, regardless of how it's packaged. But perhaps you can explain to me how you see this as a "Thai mentality," thereby implying that it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Are you kidding me? This sort of scam happens every day, regardless of how it's packaged. But perhaps you can explain to me how you see this as a "Thai mentality," thereby implying that it doesn't happen anywhere else.

I do not recall posting a smily face or anything like that, so NO i am not kidding.

Please provide links to same scams in other countries in the world.

You made the statement, now back it up.

For starters, Western mentality is to question things. Yes people give out details to a fraudulent emails requests. They do not give out this kind if info just to someone on the phone.

People do question when they asked to change a language from their native tongue to another.

Thai mentality is not to question anything but it is so because they been told it is so.

For Western scam to work, they go to fine details of making same emails, same artwork and many other fine details.

Man, you are seriously losing it. The Nigerian scams work because some people--REGARDLESS OF ETHNICITY--fall for it. It's part greed, and it's part stupidity. Americans, Europeans, Australians...you name it, they fall for it all the time. How many Thais fall for this sort of thing? I'd say about the exact same number as any other nationality.

Man, you are seriously losing it. The Nigerian scams work because some people--REGARDLESS OF ETHNICITY--fall for it. It's part greed, and it's part stupidity. Americans, Europeans, Australians...you name it, they fall for it all the time. How many Thais fall for this sort of thing? I'd say about the exact same number as any other nationality.

still waiting for the links to the same scam! Subject is not Nigerian scam or Russian scam or any other scam.

Please provide link for the same exact scam in other country's in the world and this time please try to stay on topic and provide an actual answer.

I am curious about the caller telling him to switch to English. He might have been thrown off balance if he doesn't understand English and if the instructions were quick enough, he might have been in a muddle.

No idea, but I would sure have trouble if I was trying to do anything and the instructions were written in Chinese.

Having read all of the comments so far, I share and agree with much said, abroad or here its happening, and always will, each individual case is sort of similar, BUT I agree with kuffki apertaining to this individual, stupid idiot, god hope he,ll learn from it. BUT dissagree with its Thai mentality. in this case it was just HIM

still waiting for the links to the same scam! Subject is not Nigerian scam or Russian scam or any other scam.

Please provide link for the same exact scam in other country's in the world and this time please try to stay on topic and provide an actual answer.

Fair enough. I'll be happy to provide any links that you request, if you can provide conclusive evidence (i.e., links) that this individual fell for this scam because he's a Thai. Be sure to provide links to all the allegations that you suggested above as well regarding the "Thai mentality." Unless, of course, you just made up all that crap. I'll be waiting.

Fair enough. I'll be happy to provide any links that you request, if you can provide conclusive evidence (i.e., links) that this individual fell for this scam because he's a Thai. Be sure to provide links to all the allegations that you suggested above as well regarding the "Thai mentality." Unless, of course, you just made up all that crap. I'll be waiting.

LMAO

You are the one who made a statement, i did not. you did not question my reason for saying so, you made a statement that scams same as this one happened all over the word. Now i am asking to provide evidence for same scams NOT similar, NO alike, but same scams in other countries.

I have already explained my reason for calling Thai mentality, but i guess you missed it, so all you need to do is go back and read the thread again and then you can post link to that same scam in another country.

Not similar Nigerian scam, not similar email scam but that same scam.

i am happy to accept a scam where email or phone call was in another language and person(victim) followed all the instructions went to the bank and gave up money TWICE.

catch the thieves

generally i do not support scam's in any way ... and i agree that this peoples should put away for long time.

but the "victim" is not a victim .. since there was no theft, as for there was no crime

the person go b himself to the ATM and transferred money to other Accounts by its own will,

there was nobody put a gun on his head and make him do it, and the ATM operates in a very basic way.

a sport reporter should know enough english to see what is going on. ..

words like "type account number to transfer to", "enter amount", transfering, fee, and a thai name

are not on some advanced english language levels.

at least the numbers 500.000 and 200.000 are written in "readable characters".

the press should not post them as victims of a crime ... more post the the serious lack of logic.

the only crime is that Thai-people cheat other thai-people by take advantage of the not existing common sense.

Sorry - wrong! Misrepresentation with intent to defraud is a criminal act. cool.gif

I have already explained my reason for calling Thai mentality, but i guess you missed it, so all you need to do is go back and read the thread again and then you can post link to that same scam in another country.

That's what I thought. You make a bunch of baseless claims with zero evidence and expect me to accept them as fact? If that's your line of reasoning, then surely you would accept my claims as fact. This is becoming tedious. You should accept that you're wrong and move on.

That's what I thought. You make a bunch of baseless claims with zero evidence and expect me to accept them as fact? If that's your line of reasoning, then surely you would accept my claims as fact. This is becoming tedious. You should accept that you're wrong and move on.

Wrong in whose opinion? Yours? and since when did your opinion become a benchmark?

Now for the 5th time, you made a statement of the events NOT an opinion, now back it up!

I have backed up my opinion, if you agree or disagree its your problem, now you need to back up your your "facts" with evidence.

Weather the facts of this news report are as stated, or otherwise, this is not "a perfect example of Thai mentality". Most Thai people would react like you or I would, in the situation described by this news report, and they would not fall for the scam, as reported. If the story in the report is a false one, for whatever reason, it would still not be indicative of Thai mentality.

Weather the facts of this news report are as stated, or otherwise, this is not "a perfect example of Thai mentality". Most Thai people would react like you or I would, in the situation described by this news report, and they would not fall for the scam, as reported. If the story in the report is a false one, for whatever reason, it would still not be indicative of Thai mentality.

You should read the entire post not part of it.

These are the types of stories that tempt a man to give up his regular 9 to 5 job and put in a good dishonest day's work (every now and again). If there really are a lot of people out there who are susceptible to this kind of scam, what the heck am doing working for a measly couple of thousand dollars a month?

Quote from pattayadailynews

... informed Mr. Kumpol that he was owed 6000 baht ...Mr. Kumpol ... rushed to the bank

end of quote

I would suggest that the greed of wanting the 6000 started it all. I feel sorry for the guy but a fool and his money are soon parted.

Also I don't understand how 700,000 can be transferred in just 2 transactions. Trying to pay a 200K hospital bill one day took some juggling. Had to use a mix of Visa Electron, internet banking transfer, atm transfer and cash withdrawl.

You should read the entire post not part of it.

Kuffki,

I did read your entire post, but I forgot that there are many members posting on this website that are very capable in writing english, even though it may not be their first language. In addition, there are 'native' english speakers here who hail from all corners of the globe, with their own subtle differences of the same language. On top of that, it can be easy to miss the true meaning of a writer, as emotions and sentiments are sometimes lost in the written form of a language. I can see now that I misinterpreted your post and I apologize for that.

Cheers, Siamiam

Edited by siamiam