Indonesia's Chris John retains WBA Featherweight title for 13th time

News_Editor

Indonesia's Chris John retains WBA Featherweight title for 13th time

2010-12-06 23:28:13 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEW) — WBA Featherweight Champion Chris John, of Indonesia, defended his title for the 13th consecutive time after defeating Fernando David Saucedo, of Argentina, by unanimous decision on Sunday.

After 12 rounds of boxing in Indonesia's capital of Jakarta, all three judges ruled the bout in favor of John, giving him 119-109, 119-109 and 120-108 points, allowing him to remain champion after seven years since first obtaining the title.

"I thank everyone for the support," said Chris, whose previous title defense was in Las Vegas against Rocky Juarez in September 2009." Saucedo had good stamina, so did I. He was very defensive. I refrained myself from being emotional."

"This week is a good week for Indonesia’s sports," said Youth and Sports Affairs Minister Andi Mallarangeng. "We won in soccer and boxing. It’s good."

After Sunday's bout, which took place at the Bung Karno Indoor Tennis Stadium in Senayan, Central Jakarta, Chris now holds a record of 44 victories, no losses, and two draws, while Saucedo's record shows 38 victories, five losses, and two draws.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-06