Building A House

sunholidaysun1

I don't know about labour specifically, but if you base full construction (including materials and labour) on between 8,000 and 10,000 baht a square metre constructed you shouldn't be too far off.

You have got to be off your trolley, one plank short of a pier !! Either that or you've never built a thing here :D

I must say that maybe mr shds1 is not too wrong.

I have a very good friend here in Chiang Rai that is doing a lot of business here and for the moment he is building/rebuilding a place. He is also planning some new buildings in his land and when I asked him the other day he said " 3.500 baht is a normal price for Thais and 5.000 baht for Farangs".

Of course in the end it comes to what material you choose in walls, roof, ceilings, floors, bahtrooms and kitchen.

The problem is to find a good builder that knows what he is doing.

So 5.000 baht is a good startingpoint!

:blink::unsure::o

Thanks Sven, looks like there are 2 smart people here and the rest have too much money to hand out :D

So you're happy to pay a premium for good quality cheese but not for a good quality house? Maybe you should build your house out of cheese!

Having too much $ was/is definitely not a problem I had/have which is why I asked around a lot before I had mine built and got numerous quotes, mostly done by my wife and Thai friends so that I didn't get the inflated farang price.

For what I wanted I was constantly told 8000baht per sq mtr for a single storey and 10,000baht sq mtr for a two storey and when I enquired at the likes of Sinthanee and Koolpuntville then that price increased significantly (see link below) but I eventually found a project that was of similar quality, if not better, but considerably cheaper. I wanted a good quality home that I would (hopefully) be able to live in for 30+yrs and that was suitable to raise a family in. I wanted a house that I would be happy to spend a lot of time in and that is what I have got. If I had continued to rent it may have made more sense financially but a similar quality house would cost 12-15,000 per month so maybe not in the long-run.

http://www.koolpuntv...hp?id=3〈=en

So like VF said earlier, it's impossible to give a price without knowing exactly what you want. Sure, if you are well connected and you are happy to buy everything yourself, use fairly basic materials and oversee the construction yourself then you could have a nice house built for around 5-6000baht per sq mtr. Good Luck, be sure to post a pic on VF's home thread when you've finished and make sure you have some pet cats or snakes if you go with the cheese option.

Edited by skybluestu

You have got to be off your trolley, one plank short of a pier !! Either that or you've never built a thing here :D

I must indeed be "off my trolley" to forget that you were the guy who thought he could find Sinthanee style accomodation for what was it 2,000 to 3,000 a month? :rolleyes:

And I am almost certainly also "one plank short of a pier" because when I look at building something, I don't plan on having to rebuild it every month when the lego splits from the weather :whistling:

Anyway, your approval is so important to me, so I will rephrase my original answer to be more acceptable to you.

REPLACEMENT ANSWER

"I think if you pay more than 1000 baht a square metre including materials, and high end fittings, then you are being robbed, and if they want to be paid in stages through the project rather than when the job is finished to your satisfaction the price should be halved.

Free cheese should also be provided to you daily during the construction."

I must indeed be "off my trolley" to forget that you were the guy who thought he could find Sinthanee style accomodation for what was it 2,000 to 3,000 a month? :rolleyes:

And I am almost certainly also "one plank short of a pier" because when I look at building something, I don't plan on having to rebuild it every month when the lego splits from the weather :whistling:

Anyway, your approval is so important to me, so I will rephrase my original answer to be more acceptable to you.

REPLACEMENT ANSWER

"I think if you pay more than 1000 baht a square metre including materials, and high end fittings, then you are being robbed, and if they want to be paid in stages through the project rather than when the job is finished to your satisfaction the price should be halved.

This is the original question posted : Are you building a house or have had one built recently in Chiang Rai ? What are the Labour Costs per metre as the local rates seem to vary ?

I am just inquiring as to what the labour costs are , Im not building or even wanting to spend money

on a house here.

I rented a place , 3 bedroom , kitchen , bathroom , living room , air-con ,hot water,part furnished , large front landscaped garden, walled and gated , car port , nice area not far from town , 3km , and all for the whopping price of 3,000 bht per month (3000 bht )

As for living in a sinthanee estate or any estate for that matter , no thanks, I would rather be living the Thai life in a village with the people. :D

...........I am just inquiring as to what the labour costs are , Im not building or even wanting to spend money

on a house here..................

If anyone was in any doubt as to how pointless it is responding to somebody like you, then this one post should put them straight.

REPLACEMENT ANSWER

This is the original question posted : Are you building a house or have had one built recently in Chiang Rai ? What are the Labour Costs per metre as the local rates seem to vary ?

I am just inquiring as to what the labour costs are , Im not building or even wanting to spend money

on a house here.

I rented a place , 3 bedroom , kitchen , bathroom , living room , air-con ,hot water,part furnished , large front landscaped garden, walled and gated , car port , nice area not far from town , 3km , and all for the whopping price of 3,000 bht per month (3000 bht )

As for living in a sinthanee estate or any estate for that matter , no thanks, I would rather be living the Thai life in a village with the people. :D

So you only asked so you could then ridicule anyone who, by your standards, paid too much?! And I think you'd be surprised if you were to have a nosey around Sinthanee, Koolpuntville or any other estate for that matter as most of them are mainly occupied by Thais so living on an estate doesn't mean you are not 'living the Thai life'. On the estate where I live all but one of my neighbours are Thai and all work at Mae Fah Luang University so not short of a brain cell or two and they paid the same price per sq mtr as me, are they off their trolley too?

REPLACEMENT ANSWER

on a house here.

So you only asked so you could then ridicule anyone who, by your standards, paid too much?! And I think you'd be surprised if you were to have a nosey around Sinthanee, Koolpuntville or any other estate for that matter as most of them are mainly occupied by Thais so living on an estate doesn't mean you are not 'living the Thai life'. On the estate where I live all but one of my neighbours are Thai and all work at Mae Fah Luang University so not short of a brain cell or two and they paid the same price per sq mtr as me, are they off their trolley too?

They are not but You are !! You dont own nothing :D

REPLACEMENT ANSWER

on a house here.

They are not but You are !! You dont own nothing :D

Oh, now I see! The real point of starting this post was not to ridicule people who, in your opinion, paid too much but rather to ridicule them as they don't actually own what they paid for. That's absolutely fine by me, was well aware of what I was doing when I built the house I live in and fine with how things stand, ever heard of a usufruct sunshine? And the house I live in will eventually be in my daughters name anyway, fine with that too! :D

[They are not but You are !! You dont own nothing :D

Oh, now I see! The real point of starting this post was not to ridicule people who, in your opinion, paid too much but rather to ridicule them as they don't actually own what they paid for. That's absolutely fine by me, was well aware of what I was doing when I built the house I live in and fine with how things stand, ever heard of a usufruct sunshine? And the house I live in will eventually be in my daughters name anyway, fine with that too! :D

Come on mate, you know what they say about arguing with idiots ;)

[They are not but You are !! You dont own nothing :D

Come on mate, you know what they say about arguing with idiots ;)

Very true, I won't bother in the future.

I wonder how many of you , as owners of land or property actually have Title Deeds to the land ?

How many have Title Deeds without the house being On the Title Deed (Chanot ) How many have not paid Tax for the house on the Land or Tax for the land or both ? Just curious without putting anyone down or trying to upset anyone either.

There is another house available for rent near Chiang Rai Stadium ,3 bedroom furnished , aircon , walled and gated ,hot water, True Vision Tv and Internet connection car port all for 4500 bht PER MONTH . Long term rental contract available. Thats why I wont build or buy a house or pay high rent prices off of farangs.

Maybe better to rent and keep your money in the bank unless of course your certain you will live in the house forever, Of course those who are married would have a contract I presume to secure themselves just incase ? Too many have come a cropper without one I believe , lots of horror stories , im sure you all know . :rolleyes:

Rents are Cheap Sunny Delight. Your right on that one. Rent or Buy, I suppose its a personal thing. I do think land and House prices are quite high, and even suspect a Bubble, I was right about the Bubble in the UK, but it took 10 years to come.

But Seriously Sunshine; Why Buy or even rent , when there are lots of 'hidey Holes' under all the Bridges we have around these parts. :)

So my Musical Trets brought up , 'Living in a Box' by I can't remember or this one :-

Edited by jubby

• 3 weeks later...

We just finished building a house outside of Phayao and it ran about 7240.60 Baht per square meter. That is total area, both inside and outside (all areas under the roof). I was fortunate in that I have decades of experience in home building...all in N. America and using primarily wood. I did not go through a builder, as the more corners they cut, the more they get in their pocket. I more or less sub-contracted every thing out....at least in the end. I made sure my concrete got wrapped, so it would cure properly, something totally alien here in LOS. I used ACC and redbrick for walls with a dead air space inbetween. I made sure things were laid out correctly and especially the stairs. We used Trilon roofing, which by the way is NOT hail proof...something to be considered. All the flooring is tiled, as are the 2.5 bathrooms. We watched a house go up in half the time ours did and saw how the "builder" just threw it together. So beware of going through a builder. Make sure every thing is thuroughly inspected upon completion before you pay for it. Use a light at night to check just how nice the inside and outside walls are rendered. Tap all rendered walls lightly with a hammer handle to listen for places where it did not adhere. Have them do it over. Okay, I will shut up now. That is my buck two ninety eights'post-116237-0-99805200-1294064374_thumb. worth. Happy building. extexthai

We just finished building a house outside of Phayao and it ran about 7240.60 Baht per square meter. That is total area, both inside and outside (all areas under the roof). I was fortunate in that I have decades of experience in home building...all in N. America and using primarily wood. I did not go through a builder, as the more corners they cut, the more they get in their pocket. I more or less sub-contracted every thing out....at least in the end. I made sure my concrete got wrapped, so it would cure properly, something totally alien here in LOS. I used ACC and redbrick for walls with a dead air space inbetween. I made sure things were laid out correctly and especially the stairs. We used Trilon roofing, which by the way is NOT hail proof...something to be considered. All the flooring is tiled, as are the 2.5 bathrooms. We watched a house go up in half the time ours did and saw how the "builder" just threw it together. So beware of going through a builder. Make sure every thing is thuroughly inspected upon completion before you pay for it. Use a light at night to check just how nice the inside and outside walls are rendered. Tap all rendered walls lightly with a hammer handle to listen for places where it did not adhere. Have them do it over. Okay, I will shut up now. That is my buck two ninety eights'post-116237-0-99805200-1294064374_thumb. worth. Happy building. extexthai

Your house would make a nice addition to the Finished House thread.

Neat thread on that link. Sure are some beautiful homes and Kaan's is unreal. I will find some of mine in Phayao and post them there.

Thanks VF...I wasn't aware of that thread and have now posted a few pics there. ett

Nice house extexthai. When I first looked at the pic I wondered why you built at ground level .. then saw your entry doors. I like the breezeway. Is that a utility room on the left?

Nice house extexthai. When I first looked at the pic I wondered why you built at ground level .. then saw your entry doors. I like the breezeway. Is that a utility room on the left?

Thanks klikster....actually the doors on the left side of the breezeway go to the guest room and my office/studio, both with doors to an adjoining bathroom. I was able to orientate the house so that we could benefit from both monsoonal directions and so far....it has really made a difference. I will have to wait until April sometime to see just how it will all stay cool without using AC. There are two rooms wired for AC, but if I can get by without it.....that would be wonderful. High ceilings with exhaust fans mounted at ceiling height to get hot air out. I found a Thai carpenter that is actually a true craftsman and had him build some gable louvers like the ones we have stateside (read very big with lots of air exchange) and have them on the east/west gables with the north/south gables (those louver vents got really squeezed down, but they still help a lot) all connecting in the attic and that vented soffit material all around the periphery of the overhang. So the attic area should stay well ventilated. ett

We do pretty well with flow through ventilation most of the year but when the air blowing through the house is 40 degrees, it still feels like a blast furnace. You will be glad to have the AC on days like that. I know I am. :)

Thanks for posting on my other thread. With your help we are well on our way to 56,000 page views.

Hope you researched the flood possibilities, with the potential for runoff from those mountains and flooded fields. On occasion we look like we are living on an island but remain well above the high water mark.

Edited by villagefarang