Work Permits

VictorOne

This question really applies to all areas of Thailand.

I (an expatriate) have been on the management committee of our condominium for some time.

Prior to expats becoming involved our condominium never presented a financial statement of income and expnditure, never produced a budget, was generally poorly run, with 'juristic persons', managers, book keepers all without exception treating the condominium assets and income as their personal bank with money being skimmed / scammed off as a matter of course.

After expats became involved theft was eventually reduced but not eliminated (but not totally I am afraid)

But now another situation has arisen where the juristic person manager has made covert and overt threats in the nature of going to immigration and sewing the seed's that expats are working and threatening to lodge formal complaints to immigration "if we cause trouble" which is merely trying to control the rampant theft, misappropriation and corrupt practices that are still and issue"

My question is, has anyone had the same experience e.g. threats to keep it cool and not make waves or formal complaints to immigration will be made.

I can enlarge on the specific circumstances if necessary.

Is being on the committee actually "work"?

If the 'juristic person manager' is connected to someone at immigration, it is.

You have to remember that skimming and scamming is an integral part of Thai society and few Thais view it negatively.

You have to remember that skimming and scamming is an integral part of Thai society and few Thais view it negatively.

I used to be a member of our condo's committee for a few years. The key is to make it as accountable as possible but at the same time leave some kind of avenue so that they (managers) can generate some extra income. In our case it was letting them keep a commission for finding persons to rent owner's condos and to manage them. I think it was around 1000 for commission to find a renter and 100 a month to collect payment from the renter.

The solutions are simple.

First, whatever you do ensure that everything is above board and completely legal. If you are working, check to see whether or not ex-pats are allowed to do the jobs under Thai law, apply for the appropriate work permits, visas and paperwork, whether it be voluntary, a board or committee member or a paid director or employee. Declare any earnings and pay taxes if eligible. In other words if it did come to the crunch of having to prove your legality to any authority, be in a position where you can show them what they want to see and tell them what they want to hear. A squeaky clean ex-pat.

Then you can complain to your hearts content without fear of retributions.

If on the other hand, you are not strictly legal even in the slightest way, then I would shut up and keep out of the limelight, because you are only creating problems for yourself and perhaps other ex-pats on the estate whose actions may lead to severe consequences and leave you in a no win situation, especially when there is money involved.

Now; would I lie to you?

On Phuket a farang who made some waves as part of the condo association got arrested for doing it without a WP..

I think it blew over as the legal implications of this got made public but as the news wasnt followed up its hard to know what really happened.

On Phuket a farang who made some waves as part of the condo association got arrested for doing it without a WP..

I think it blew over as the legal implications of this got made public but as the news wasnt followed up its hard to know what really happened.

He was the juristic manager of the condo which is work....not a commitee member/

I used to be a member of our condo's committee for a few years. The key is to make it as accountable as possible but at the same time leave some kind of avenue so that they (managers) can generate some extra income. In our case it was letting them keep a commission for finding persons to rent owner's condos and to manage them. I think it was around 1000 for commission to find a renter and 100 a month to collect payment from the renter.

Sounds sensible to get the Thai's economic-interests correctly-aligned, with the farang-owners' interests, so that you all make/save money together, avoids unnecessary friction. B)