Is It Standard Practice To Charge For Broken Glass At Restaurants?

tangcoral

Is it standard practice to charge for broken glass at restaurants?

Last night after visiting restaurant called took lae dee my just turned 2 year daughter was given a small ceramic glass bowl with little pairs of spoon and fork.

After about 30secs she grabbed the bowl and dropped it to the ground. It smashed into pieces.

When the bill came out along with it they added 45 baht for the damaged bowl.

We paid the bill but with a sour taste in our mouth, especially since we spend couple thousands of baht a month.

Yes our fault but providing a 2 year old who just started to learn to eat on her own will knock things around is not smart practice.

We asked if if they have any plastic bowls and they said we dont use plastic.

If it were a small mom and pop store I wouldn't be surprised but were talking a restaurants that serves at least 500+ customers daily.

In the US, the rare few times I have broken cups/plates we or others have never been charged.

Edited by tangcoral

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well who do you want to pay, the staff who are responsible for breakages? You are the one responsible for your families actions until they are old enough to take responsibility yourself. I presume you at least helped clean up the mess your child made by throwing the food on the ground.

...I presume you at least helped clean up the mess your child made by throwing the food on the ground.

asks harrry, who never, ever had eye-hand coordination issues when he was a todler. Perfect little soldier he was.

I still do not. But there are may times I had to clean up the mess my daughter made.

Well who do you want to pay, the staff who are responsible for breakages? You are the one responsible for your families actions until they are old enough to take responsibility yourself. I presume you at least helped clean up the mess your child made by throwing the food on the ground.

If the staff's paycheck would have been deducted for something like this, I sure wouldnt want to work there.

I just bought a small restaurant and actually today was first day of business. We would not charge a customer for accidental breakage, especially a regular. Seems like rather foolish business practice IMO.

+1

I would never frequent a restaurant that charged for minor breakages by a toddler.

However, if staff are expected to pay for breakages, I wouldn't blame them for adding it to the bill.

I went to a restaurant in Bangkok once. One of those outdoor Korean BBQ type places.

When we arrived they gave the misses and I a cool towel each, which was appreciated. Well you can probably guess that they added the towels onto the bill, what a cheek. If they had asked us first then we'd have probably said yes anyway.

The food wasn't all that great so we were in no rush to go back but might have considered it if passing by, even if only for a couple of beers. The towels did enough to seal it though. For the sake of a little short sighted greed to the tune of 20 baht (10 baht/towel), they made absolutely sure that we had no intention of going back.

I doubt that they could care less though.

Edited by Moonrakers

The only reason I've heard yet for going to 'farang' restaurants!

They may overcharge, but at least don't charge for breakages.

Mind you, if a child was given something (by the parents) belonging to the restaurant - and the child broke it - perhaps they would..... And fair enough.

Think the OP's point here is that in farang land it would not happen. BUT, in USA most restaurants add 15% service charge and indeed in some UK places they do similar, also most tip handsomely which would cover any breakages, :) Perhaps here they are used to tight non tipping customers. :unsure:

What restaurants in the USA add a 15% service charge? Other than for specified large groups, I have never, ever been given a bill in the USA with an assigned service charge.

IMO, you are responsible for your toddlers actions. Have him/her climb over the aquarium and tilt twenty half million Baht worth Koi's over across the floor would result in the action of making you responsible to the damage. Why would a minor event like breaking a glass which you allowed your todler to "play" with - and adult would have taken proper care - make you less responsible for your actions ? I'd even say, if I was the owner of a restaurant and watch you drop a glass in the middle of having a jolly good time, I would just neglect it on the bill. But if I watched you to pass things to a toddler who in my opinion is not trained enough to give proper care, I would even walk up and ask you to keep an eye and a chain to your still-stupid kid or pay the bill for broken things.

I am sorry I might sound a bit harsh but I was educated in such a way that we children were not allowed certain things to do my parents didn't think we were old enuff to perform. Like playing with things which don t belong to us, or pulling at animals, or like running about yelling like pirates on a attack, in a restaurant when we were not the only guests.

What you described can happen to you in any part of the world, depending on the view of the restaurant management. 45 Baht ? it is the equivalent of 1 and half a buck, if you rate it worth a discussion, sorry you are wrong in a restaurant, better eat at home where your kids are allowed to touch and smash things up to their like because you are such a coward not to educate them to some degree of manners

IMO, you are responsible for your toddlers actions. Have him/her climb over the aquarium and tilt twenty half million Baht worth Koi's over across the floor would result in the action of making you responsible to the damage. Why would a minor event like breaking a glass which you allowed your todler to "play" with - and adult would have taken proper care - make you less responsible for your actions ? I'd even say, if I was the owner of a restaurant and watch you drop a glass in the middle of having a jolly good time, I would just neglect it on the bill. But if I watched you to pass things to a toddler who in my opinion is not trained enough to give proper care, I would even walk up and ask you to keep an eye and a chain to your still-stupid kid or pay the bill for broken things.

I am sorry I might sound a bit harsh but I was educated in such a way that we children were not allowed certain things to do my parents didn't think we were old enuff to perform. Like playing with things which don t belong to us, or pulling at animals, or like running about yelling like pirates on a attack, in a restaurant when we were not the only guests.

What you described can happen to you in any part of the world, depending on the view of the restaurant management. 45 Baht ? it is the equivalent of 1 and half a buck, if you rate it worth a discussion, sorry you are wrong in a restaurant, better eat at home where your kids are allowed to touch and smash things up to their like because you are such a coward not to educate them to some degree of manners

The kid dropped a plate..... in a restaurant.....and it makes the OP a terrible person who doesn't discipline their kids.

Bloody hell pal!

well , for the sake of justice here, I just reread the OP , when he said that the restaurant staff gave the 2 year old toddler the CERAMIC bowl. I guess my quote as being unfair in the part when it comes to destroy other peoples property, but this is void when said people hand you the item in the belief that you can take proper care for it. so when the staff hands out ceramics to a 2 year toddler, the responsibility is upon those who believe a toddler is fair enough educated to take car of these things properly. Tit for tit tat. Or i'd claim , KYAC ( keep your ass covered )

cheers to the OP he was right in querying the bill . . .

I am asking to satisfy my curiosity. If the business norm here is to charge for accidental breakage then so be it.

Maybe I should of kept it simple and said if I accidentally break glassware is it norm to be charged or will it be excused instead of my sob story.

There is no right or wrong answer and I'm not looking to justify my situation on why I shouldn't been charge.

Anyhow the answer is clear.... expect to be charged in LOS.

thanks

Edited by tangcoral

The kid dropped a plate..... in a restaurant.....and it makes the OP a terrible person who doesn't discipline their kids.

Bloody hell pal!

Got to agree with you............

xxxck me !!!

Edited by philw

yeah hey, I would leave it to the owner if he/she charges for broken items. I have come onto situations when the bill was a fww thousand Baht, and some of our group broke a glass or cup. Never to be charged, But if it was a meal for a cheap 400 Baht, why would a broken item not go included in the bill

I admit this is a very controversial entry . . . I agree on the poster that there can t be a right or wrong answer.

If we are TV members to discuss 45 Baht "seemingly" overcharge here on TV , we are gotta enjoy the thousands of entries ya can expect . . .

I am asking to satisfy my curiosity. If the business norm here is to charge for accidental breakage then so be it.

Maybe I should of kept it simple and said if I accidentally break glassware is it norm to be charged or will it be excused instead of my sob story.

There is no right or wrong answer and I'm not looking to justify my situation on why I shouldn't been charge.

Anyhow the answer is clear.... expect to be charged in LOS.

thanks

45 baht ??

One of my kids wrecked a $2000 drum kit in Saxaphone all those years ago.

Probably my fault for being drunk in charge of a 5 yr old.

The charge for towel gambit isn't that rare and they don't usually ask. It's OK for tourists who are one offs but I usually don't want the towel and it's a cause of stress to stop them before they pop the seal without asking, so I am less likely to repeat visit a place like that. Sometimes there is even a charge if you managed to stop them, they just assume you took it.

Who can - who would! - spend "couple thousands of baht a month" in Took lae Dee??

That aside, I agree it's not at all smart to charge for breakages like this, but it is a Fast Food outlet attached to a Foodland Supermarket and I am sure there is no Senior Manager around all the time. When closing the Accounts for the day, how would the Manager know if the damage was caused by Staff carelessness or by a Customers' 2 year old child simply being clumsy - so he will hold the Staff responsible for any breakages ...... and therefore they will pass it on to the Customer if he, the Customer, is actually at fault. Of course they will not care if the offended Customer comes back or not, they are just employees, but 45 Baht to them is probably equivalent to 3 hours wages.

Patrick

The charge for towel gambit isn't that rare and they don't usually ask. It's OK for tourists who are one offs but I usually don't want the towel and it's a cause of stress to stop them before they pop the seal without asking, so I am less likely to repeat visit a place like that. Sometimes there is even a charge if you managed to stop them, they just assume you took it.

hire someone to slap a wet gambitted towel around your face and lower parts for being so off-topic. I like to visit places where the food is splendid and the staff is funny , and I don t minde being charged 45 Baht for a piece of deramic broken by my toddler. It escapes my notion why I should not be held responsible for. My family continues to come back to the grill , and some day the persevance will get paid back by an extra I Screa for a child grown up enuff to hold the waffles without breaking or dropping it

I just bought a small restaurant and actually today was first day of business. We would not charge a customer for accidental breakage, especially a regular. Seems like rather foolish business practice IMO.

First, congrats on your new biz. I hope you have fun AND make money. Best of luck!

Second, I am amazed they charged you for that. But every restaurant has their own procedure. Your procedure should be not to return! Easy! But luckily, 45B is not a big deal.

OP went to a restaurant named "Took lae Dee" meaning "Cheap and good". It is like one of those budget airlies where tickets are cheap but you pay for any infringements like date change, no show etc. Normal (read expensive) restaurants do not charge for breakages as the cost may have been factored in. Lets stop this here.

I'd say its not out of the question that restuarants would/may charge

logic would have me guess that the smaller /less expensive places would charge more, especially if the staff are not owners

while places where owners are around, then owners can decide at their discretion (based on whatever logic/business acumen they choose to apply)

in bigger more expensive places, perhaps their margin is big enough to let that slide

i have often heard from wait staff that when they bring out a wrong order, and customer sends it back, the staff is held responsible to pay for that wrong dish (no idea if really in practice or not, but have been told that).

Well I'm an adult, and I have broken glasses etc here - knocked off the table during the evening etc - easy to do especially when the table is small and loaded with plates as Thais tend to do. I have never been charged. I think in that case I would have just held back the tip. It doesn't matter that its only 45 baht - its my 45 baht. Having owned restaurants in the UK and a cafe here, I would never charge for breakages (unless intensional, which has never happened as yet). Restaurants and cafes usually have stock enough of such items and they wear out or become dated well before we run out though breaks - its cheaper to buy them i bulk. Also, big things like the Koi in the above example should be covered under the insurance, if I added half a million baht to your bill for somehow knocking over or breaking the fish tank, would you pay it? Most people do not like being conned or taken for a ride, once bitten, twice shy - pissing off a regular is just plain stupid - ESPECIALLY for 45 baht!

Maybe you should have handed her 500 Baht extra ad flipped the table over.

Edited by wolf5370