Thailand Has To Do A Lot Better On Human Rights

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thailand has to do a lot better on human rights

By The Nation

Our Constitution guarantees certain rights and freedoms; it's time we began respecting the letter of the law

Today is International Human Rights Day and also Thailand's Constitution Day. It thus carries double significance. The Thai Constitution guarantees fundamental rights, which are contained in more than 60 constitutional articles that protect and promote all aspects of our individual and collective freedoms. The Thai Constitution is very comprehensive when it comes to human rights issues. The only problem is the huge gap in the implementation of all these rights.

We Thais seem to have a great problem in turning the letter of the law into action that provides tangible results. Whenever international human rights organisations take Thailand to task over these discrepancies, we are usually at a loss to give a proper and clear explanation. When this happens, as it often does, it damages our reputation as a country that has promised to respect human rights.

Every Thai government has struggled to follow its own human rights agenda. There is very little effort or intent. Some administrations do better than others, depending on who happens to be the head of the government at the time.

Under the government of ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, extra-judicial killings were common, and they were not considered as human rights violations. Other issues, including the lese majeste law, have clouded the country's human rights and freedom of expression records.

Since the democracy uprising of 1973, Thailand's record on human rights has generally continued to improve, but at a snail's pace. Within the region, our overall performance is not that bad - especially when compared to some of our immediate neighbours - although it is still below credible international standards.

Before the 1970s, that crucial period in Thai history, violations of basic rights by people in high positions, whether they were in uniform or not, were rampant. People power nearly four decades ago changed all that. But there is still a lot to be desired.

The government under Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is trying to cope with myriad human rights issues in an accountable and transparent way. During the past year, he has had to deal with allegations of human rights violations in both a domestic and regional dimension. These are not easy tasks to handle simultaneously because the political turmoil of May still haunts the government and the country. Although various investigations have been conducted to get to the bottom of the matter, the truth about what happened during the riots, and the deaths and injuries that occurred, is unlikely to ever be revealed.

This is one area in which Abhisit needs to pay attention, as his political future and human rights credibility rest on this endeavour. Moreover, Abhisit has been criticised for pushing back Lao Hmong refugees who have been stranded in Thailand since the end of the Cold War. Even though that task was carried out in 2009, some non-governmental organisations claim the returnees suffered human rights violations as a result of the Thai authorities' actions. Thailand's rationale for sending the Hmong back to Laos thus came under international scrutiny and criticism.

Over the past year, the government's treatment of refugees could have been better. For the past four decades, Thailand has managed huge influxes of refugees from various neighbouring countries, and has done so at sea and across land borders. Therefore, as a country that supposedly respects human rights, we should not tolerate local authorities mistreating those who seek freedom and safety.

Thailand must continue to bridge the gap between current behaviour regarding refugees and what is deemed acceptable in the international bill of rights. Prime Minister Abhisit should know this better than anyone, and he can make a lot of difference if he puts his mind to the rights issues

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-10

Well I have to admit they have not done a very good job with the refuges. Some of the treatment is down rite shameful.

When it comes to domestic they have done a out standing job. The suppression of the red shirts was a stellar example. They stopped a hand full of people from abusing human rights for a whole city. Imagine in a city the size of Bangkok being unable to walk around with out fear of some attack by a terrorist.

Then to top it all off they came to the rescue of the terrorists who's leadership had abandon them.

Sad that the terrorists had forced them to the point they had to go to. However they showed remarkable restraint. Imagine if they had come in just firing at every terrorist they saw. It is not like the terrorists were trying to hide. If they weren't dressed in black they had a red shirt on and there was thousands of them.B)

"Today is International Human Rights Day and also Thailand's Constitution Day".

The Millionaire Generals and their Military backed Government are passing civil power from the CRES to the ISOC.

Human rights, freedom of speech, open debate, State and Military listening to phone converstaions and reading texts, e mails and blogs, journailsts in jail, Childrens Facebook pages monitored, web sites banned, TV and radio stations owned, run and managed by the Military, opposition stations closed, daily murders of Thais in the South of Thailand, Billionaire "Elites" raping the nation of its resources and cash and corruption tearing at the throat of the Nation from the highest to the lowest.

Welcome to "Democracy" on this Constitution Day..........unless you choose to roll out your tanks and troops, set up yourself and your friends in power and forget the word "Constitution" until you get a chance to write a new one for yourself!

"Amazing" Thailand!

The Millionaire Generals and their Military backed Government are passing civil power from the CRES to the ISOC.

Human rights, freedom of speech, open debate, State and Military listening to phone converstaions and reading texts, e mails and blogs, journailsts in jail, Childrens Facebook pages monitored, web sites banned, TV and radio stations owned, run and managed by the Military, opposition stations closed, daily murders of Thais in the South of Thailand, Billionaire "Elites" raping the nation of its resources and cash and corruption tearing at the throat of the Nation from the highest to the lowest.

Welcome to "Democracy" on this Constitution Day..........unless you choose to roll out your tanks and troops, set up yourself and your friends in power and forget the word "Constitution" until you get a chance to write a new one for yourself!

"Amazing" Thailand!

Poor little farang - so persecuted by the military :rolleyes:

"Amazing" Thailand!

Amazing with all that going against him you would think he is either on the road to Burma or all ready there.:D

Other issues, including the lese majeste law, have clouded the country's human rights and freedom of expression records.

When you get quotes likes this in the editorials of national daily newspapers, surely it hints at the days of this outmoded legislation being numbered. Either that or the editor has officially given up any hope of ever appearing on the Thai equivalent of the New Year's Honours List.

Edited by hanuman1

Amazing with all that going against him you would think he is either on the road to Burma or all ready there.:D

Funny you should say that. I've read a couple of articles lately, not related specifically to Thailand or Human Rights, that have mentioned Thailand in the same breath with Burma and China regarding media control. I believe it's a sign of how low an opinion the rest of the world (with free, unfiltered access to information) has of Thai "freedoms."

Given the outrageous statements by some Thai leaders, it's clear that their inanities are aimed for domestic consumption. Thank goodness the rest of the world isn't as gullible.

"Amazing" Thailand!

This was a mindless response to a serious and well-articulated opinion.

"Amazing" Thailand!

Blazes,

There are definitely a couple of mindless posts. Unfortunally it also appears their posts are becoming all too frequent in all other topics as well.

Whether it be Yellow or Red shirts in power, the result(s) have been construed through the same means and have the same ending; Greed at whatever price.

uncletom

Som tum Tiger and the JJ posts do nothing to advance any argument. They are inane comments that serve no purpose other than to inflate the number of posts they accrue.

I thought many of the posts on here to be firts rate making this a worthy post to read.

I would add that at the commencement of the Thaksin years the Lese Majeste increased rapidly. I think it approached a 400 % rise. The reason being was that the Thaksin administartion used it as a gag on criticism.

Unfortunately, the out dated, out moded, fading star of cencorship is propped up by the LM legistaltion.

Even here it is hardly possible to mention this subject and where it leads as that is an example of censorship. My post would simply be removed.

However, once a topic becomes subject for debate the motion to have it removed will eventually seize the day. It is only a matter of time.

As long as the first world is seeking to have democracy as the political system imposed through out the world in order to replace the few remaining autocracies and dictatorships then there is hope. It will take time but already we are seeing reasons emerge as to why the speed of change should be hastened. I refer specifically to the prospect that North Korea has aided Burma in nucleur weapon technology; the fact that China can no longer tolerate propping up North Korea.

One should not underestimate the impact of such regime change in these two countries.

Once the west is able to focus more closely upon the currently lesser issues of freedom of speech rather than nucleur proliferation then countries such as Thailand will become the target for change.

Equally, there is a foregone conclusion that the timing of such change is a matter of when, according to inevitable events within Thailand. I think an inevitable re-think among the Thais themselves will see a this mind shift effect change towards a more democratic and constitutional empowerment that currently does not exist.

I also believe that the World Court, the Hague or individual will pursue human rights abusers with all the voracity that the Weisenthal Foundation pursued the nazis. I do hold no doubt that Thaksin will have his day in court and his subsequent life time in jail.

The world is inevitably moving towards the cross board establishment of democratically elected rule. A consequence of that will be the bringing of justice and closure for those who have suffered; that will be achieved via the courts. we will see the end of despot rule. Furthermore, we will see the end of 9 man communist China rule.

There will be elected democracies. Accountable and transparent. And yes it will take time. But the stones under which human rights abusers currently hide will like their regimes, be over turned.

The offenders will be punished.

housetiger

Posted 32 minutes ago

Som tum Tiger and the JJ posts do nothing to advance any argument. They are inane comments that serve no purpose other than to inflate the number of posts they accrue.

I thought many of the posts on here to be firts rate making this a worthy post to read.

housetiger,

I do agree with your statement up above whole heartedly. Both these 2 peoples’posts are inflating for perhaps the honor of poster of the day or for the reason that they possibly believe that everyone waits to hear every word of the malarkey they are spitting out.

It is the same as an addiction. They are getting so overkill that now I find it difficult to read to get through the TV news and responses.

Subjecting all other posters to so many of their posts is like a Human rights violation against us in its self.

Somtumtiger,

Just your last one line statement says it all. Pile on boys, pile on boys, I can take it!

I believe me and some others would prefer if you guys lay off not think about pile on or in me.

Back ON Real Topic….

I know quite a few people in NHRC, and they say they do not have enough power against the Big Powers and games that can be played by them. Always a tactic they can use.

uncletom.

in asia , human rights , are not high on the agenda .

ref , china refuse to accept the recognition of the peace prize,

awarded to a chinese national.

it is not good for the chinese buisness ethic . :jap:

And Singapore's own WickiLeaks report is that Thailand is rotten with corruption from top to bottom.

How else then do you account for such an appalling human rights record.

To shed some light on just how these abusers occurr once has to understand the climate of fear mixed with co-operation that exists through being part of the same system.

For example, a Briton lies naked chained to the bars of a cell. That is clearly an abuse of human rights.

And yet the acting, the actual new Honary Consul, Howard Miller the Pattaya City News TV guy, visits and accepts the conditions. He does nothing other than salve his conscience by leaving a bottle of water, clean T shirt and packet of crisps. hence, the food and water is taken care of.

I wouldn't even confuse Mr. Miller's actions with those of a good man doing nothing. this is clearly an inadequate, unthinking man condoning the unacceptable.

Hence human rights are abused.

The problem is that when you climb into bed with them, as Miler does; a local business making money out of filming the Police arrest drunks on Walking Street, he can not call their actions into question. Therefore, he is totally unsuitable for the position. He is actually part of the problem; the abuse of human rights.

Miller is nothing more than a washed up ex- early morning local radio DJ from the UK. Think of Alan Partridge as his hero. Having found his niche in the back streets of Pattaya, paying his police protectiojn monies to avoid his opposition, the mafia figure Dane Niels Colov [ Pattaya People] and the all powerful other lot ......... The Pattaya Mail, the Indian family and their ex-Scott's Jimmy front man; Miller can not act impartially in the best interests of ex-pats in Pattaya.

He proved that by abadoning the naked Brit who he left chained to the bars.

It's Pattaya - where scum rises to the top and cream is found in milk.

housetiger

Posted 32 minutes ago

housetiger,

I do agree with your statement up above whole heartedly. Both these 2 peoples'posts are inflating for perhaps the honor of poster of the day or for the reason that they possibly believe that everyone waits to hear every word of the malarkey they are spitting out.

It is the same as an addiction. They are getting so overkill that now I find it difficult to read to get through the TV news and responses.

Subjecting all other posters to so many of their posts is like a Human rights violation against us in its self.

Somtumtiger,

Just your last one line statement says it all. Pile on boys, pile on boys, I can take it!

I believe me and some others would prefer if you guys lay off not think about pile on or in me.

Back ON Real Topic….

I know quite a few people in NHRC, and they say they do not have enough power against the Big Powers and games that can be played by them. Always a tactic they can use.

uncletom.

I feel pretty good attacked by two Thai bashers. Must be doing some thing rite

Housepainter you are quite the verbose one aren't you. Just what part did you disagree with. Easier to attack the poster than take a stand. Perhaps you disagree with me on the handling of the Refuges. I would like to suggest to you that you visit one of there camps. Perhaps you think that the army used no restraint what so ever. If these are your opinions please state them rather than attacking the poster.

By the way I don't think uncle tom meant any disrespect with calling you housetiger. He does the best he can.

I gathered out of your monologue that some time in the future the world will be all A one. I agree.

But not in any meaningful time span.:(

Pile on boys, pile on! I can take it!:jap:

Right then: you are a crusty folly-fallen gudgeon. Is that okay?

I like the real stuff:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

MacBeth, W. Shakespeare

I like the real stuff:

Signifying nothing.

MacBeth, W. Shakespeare

That's an uncharacteristically depressing snippet from Mr Keep Smiling. :)

I like the real stuff:

Signifying nothing.

MacBeth, W. Shakespeare

That's an uncharacteristically depressing snippet from Mr Keep Smiling. :)

You're right in the sense I should have been a wee bit more specific. With SomTumTiger saying 'Pile on boys, pile on! I can take it!' I should have quoted only some

"It is a tale

Signifying nothing."

Stay cool and keep :D