More Snakes In The Wet

Maejo Man

I thought I'd seen most of the snakes around here, but the one pictured is a new one on me. The maid came rushing in this morning yelling "snake snake" as they do here. Where? I asked, outside she replied. That's fine by me I said, as long as it's not inside.

It was no monster, and measured around 60 cm (2 foot) in length. and as thick as a finger. Brownish colour overall, with two vivid yellow lines running the length of it's body, and darker paterns in between, with a yellowish pink underbelly.

Any ID from you snake experts out there?

snake1.jpg

I thought I'd seen most of the snakes around here, but the one pictured is a new one on me. The maid came rushing in this morning yelling "snake snake" as they do here. Where? I asked, outside she replied. That's fine by me I said, as long as it's not inside.

It was no monster, and measured around 60 cm (2 foot) in length. and as thick as a finger. Brownish colour overall, with two vivid yellow lines running the length of it's body, and darker paterns in between, with a yellowish pink underbelly.

snake1.jpg

I know that one, it answers to "wiggly"

snake1.jpg

I know that one, it answers to "wiggly"

looks like a Striped Keelback - Amphiesma stolata

you can read about them here

Thanks for that very informative link uncle paul, it certainly looks like the one.

a_stolata_2.jpg

"This snake is becoming exceedingly rare in urbanized areas and fails to thrive in such places most possibly due to lack of suitable prey."

I'm relatively urbanised here, but there is a large block of vacant land over the road to my house, and full of frogs this time of year, so snake heaven.

Thanks once again Maejo

Im getting used to the snakes here on Koh Phayam, have not really noticed a difference in their numbers from dry and wet season. We have big snakes here the largest ive seen was a 4.5m Python, Cobras and King Cobras are pretty common as well. On average I get 2-3 snakes in the house every month.

Heres a pic of the last one I caught having a free lunch:

snake3.jpg

Im used to snakes, im not used to crocodiles, nor are the locals because noone had ever seen one on the island until about a month ago when this was caught 2km from my house:

croc1.jpg

croc2.jpg

This I think is a female Indian crocodile (someone confirm please) with a lenght of 3.5m the male which measures well over 4m is still on the lose, which on an island 3 x 5km is a bit unnerving.

There are several theories as to why crocs have turned up here, some say that a ship that wrecked in a storm and washed up on the beach was carrying crocs from India or Burma to Thailand.

The theory that the Thais like to believe is that they came as a result of the tsunami.. I go with the first theory myself.

Edited by lordsux

Ouch, what a lovely find!! you are very lucky to find that in your backyard

as to where they come from, the Tsunami may be the answer, but not by them being swept from India.

they may have been in a zoo which was swept away, the crocs surviving easily enough

any zoos out there that got flooded?? :o:D

Ouch, what a lovely find!!  you are very lucky to find that in your backyard

as to where they come from, the Tsunami may be the answer, but not by them being swept from India.

they may have been in a zoo which was swept away, the crocs surviving easily enough

any zoos out there that got flooded?? :o  :D

Crikey :D Beerwah flooded again!! send for Stevie Irwin :D Nignoy