Tot Internet Slow For 1 Week

geoffphuket

Here we go again! For the past several days my (6MB) TOT internet has been at a crawl, or not working at all. After a phone call to TOT we wre told they were aware of the problem and that it should be okay after a few days - that was Thursday and it's still impossible to download anything today. Just writing this has meant resetting the connection 3 times.

Anyone else in Phuket have this problem?

Not Phuket, but I've been having disconnection problems with TOT, and maybe some super sludgy slow downloads (not sure about the latter, as not much going on right now).

I've phoned many times, and been told many times that "It's in the process." I've suggested to them that if my payment was in the same process, they'd go broke!

Seems TOT decided to offer a 6MB service due to the fact other service providers are using speeds anywhere from 6MB to 10MB for the same prices offered to TOT customers for the old 3MB service, 590 Baht. As usual TOT didn't have a clue what they were getting themselves into when that decision was made. And to think they want to manage the suppose new 3g cell system! I was "downgraded" to TOT's 6 MB service this past week. When I called to have them "upgrade" me back to my old 3MB service I was told that would be impossible to do. I am now in the process of changing my service provider, either True and or 3bb which ever gets here first cause right now my TOT service is not working. Thank God I have the ability to jump on a free air service just to keep up on things. Not secure but really not using it for anything secure anyway.

All I can say is "good luck"

TOT 6Mb package working fine for me here in western Bangkok. When it comes to internet speed/reliability in Thailand it usually boils down to location, location, location. And I don't mean you have to be in Bangkok to get a good TOT 6Mb connection (I'm sure there is no shortage of funky TOT internet connections in Bangkok). I mean your "local" circuits (i.e., servicing your moobaan, servicing your building/condo, servicing your village, etc) have a major impact on reliability/speed. And sometimes the guy the next soi (or even house) over on the same package as you gets good service while your service sucks. This can be caused due to his phone/internet line connection going to a different central station/DSLAM bank servicing the area...or it can just be caused by your individual line having a problem. Location, location, location.

I've phoned many times, and been told many times that "It's in the process."

Ahhh, so it's not just a problem here in Hua Hin then. That "It's in process" is the same story I keep getting when I call......I ask them what does "in process" mean? .......they have no idea, just that a technician is trying to fix the problem.

I just wish they would tell the truth and say that it is TOT wide problem and some sort of time line to get it fixed.

Had a 3.5 Gb download (from a server in the US) running from Sunday noon. All day speed was between 5-15 KB/s. This morning though, the download had finished, so apparently it picked up speed through the night.

I must say that if I had a choice, I would switch from TOT to another ISP (like 3BB). But I'm in a rented house and leaving in a month :-/ Not a great timeframe for switching ISP's, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 3.5 Gb download (from a server in the US) running from Sunday noon. All day speed was between 5-15 KB/s. This morning though, the download had finished, so apparently it picked up speed through the night.

I must say that if I had a choice, I would switch from TOT to another ISP (like 3BB). But I'm in a rented house and leaving in a month :-/ Not a great timeframe for switching ISP's, I think.

I'm with 3BB up in the North East and no better. Beats the hell out of me what is going on. Internet on my local and international phone is quicker. Just wish I knew what I am paying for. Hell its like a 14k dial up 18 years ago.

Sorry, Geoff. Not many problems for me in Phuket Town with my 8/1 TOT service.

In fact, last night I decided to catch up on several free pre-Christmas downloads at TheBox.bz and set them all off at about 1:30 am

This morning they had all completed - all 16.2 GB! I reckon I was downloading at an average of 4.5 mbps for about 8 hours to achieve that.

But it's not all perfect. The link goes down some days for several minutes, maybe 15 to 30. I always call 1100 if the modem's ADSL LED is on but the Internet LED is off as that shows there is a problem at TOT and not me.

Most other types of problems result in them asking lots of silly questions which I know are irrelevant, so I don't bother calling. And those problems are often fixed by resetting the modem and/or turning off the torrents for a minute or two and/or clicking on "Repair" on the network icon.

I have noticed this with TOT. A while back they did that ban on torrents during the day (or severe throttle at least) and then open at 10pm. I thik that is still the case as I notice browsing and MSN etc grind to a halt at 10pm (when I guess the flood gates open) - but by 3am torrents are flying (relatively).