For Hire....

Hello!! I'm looking to dig my heals into something to make me a living so that I can start planning my future in Thailand. I would like to live and work either in Bangkok or Koh Samui but will consider other areas.

In summary I am an accountant by profession (last 10 years) and would ideally like to run (jointly perhaps) a private business. Number-crunching is obviously my forte but I can confidently take on anything. I have been considering purchasing a business (looking at the Sunbelt Asia website) and like many of the ideas that are there. As usual it's the money aspect that's the main obstacle as I will not have mega bucks to bring with me.

I am honest, very reliable, very quick to learn and a very ambitious and hard-working individual with a professional approach to business. I currently work as a financial analyst in a major IT related worldwide company with a global turnover of $19.8 billion for our last financial year.

I will consider anything (except the bar business...!)

:o:D

Forget about Samui. If you want a chance (a very very small one) to find work, it probably is in Bangkok. Nothing wrong with your qualifications but finding a job is astronomical difficult.

First doubt an employer will have is if you have a good solid reason to be and STAY in Thailand. No use of hiring someone who leaves after a short time. 2nd you are probably more (too) expensive.

Best bet is to find in your own country/network a job that you can do and be transfered to Bangkok. I wish you all the luck. Just be prepared that it will take a lot of time and effort.

Edited by Khun Jean

Thanks Khun Jean. From reading around I did get the impression that getting a job is almost impossible. I think the only avenue I can and would prefer going down is buying/running a business, just need to think about what really.

I would suggest that you consider setting up an accounting consultancy with a thai partner focused at foreign owned business in Pattaya. Big market for decent pro-active advice to foreigners and nobody is doing it properly at the moment. You could charge decent prices if your able to demonstrate a reason why customers should pay it and believe me, there are many many customers wanting decent financial advice. I am amazed how overlooked Pattaya has been by decent companies for this kind of service provision. Ask a Thai accountant why getting a tax invoice is important and they will tell you, but also they will keep administering your monthly accounting for a year before YOU realise that without tax invoices, you cannot depreciatte items, include in VAT calculations and include the said amounts in your company accounts. Serious lack of correct business guidance for many start-up and established companies in Pattaya. Friend of mine was telling me he had purchased about 20,000,000 baht of items over the course of a year that could not be included because the receipts (in Thai) showed the wrong address (wrong Tambon or village) however it was only after seeing his audited accounts that his accountant said "oh this pile of bills no good for including as address is wrong" - had he been notified after the first month, he could have at least had 11 months which were correct. An expensive lesson for him as he could have claimed the VAT back and then depreciated these expenses in normal accounting methods.