What Rights Do Patients Have In Thai Hospitals?

Bonio

My girlfriend's father was recently re-admitted to a government hospital in Udon. An emergency procedure was carried out and then he was moved out of the ward and left by himself on a gurney in a corridor that was open to the outside world - with mosquitoes and other issues. Notwithstanding the above he also received no visits during the night from any nursing staff. Understandably, my girlfriend was not happy with this and took photos of the situation. The young doctor who performed the procedure took exception to this fact and he had a stand up row with my girlfriend. He confirmed during this exchange that they did not have sufficient nursing facilities and my girlfriend should be more sympathetic to his working environment. The end result was that my girlfriend took her father out of the hospital and has brought him to Bangkok where all of his children live and work.

She has taken him to Ramathibudi (Mahidol University Hospital) on Rama VI where he has received excellent low cost care in the past. However, the doctor in Udon is refusing to sign the release form that will allow her father to receive treatment at minimal cost at Ramathibudi. His argument being that they can do the surgery in Udon and there is no need to go to Bangkok. My girlfriend is not convinced and, with good reason, she is concerend about post-op care. She is now faced with a possible bill of 150,000bt if the Udon doctor will not sign the papers. This is money that she and her siblings can ill afford.

Is the doctor/hospital in Udon within his/its rights to withhold this signature?

I am considering employing a lawyer to raise the stakes in this matter but do not wish to antagonise any doctor or hospital unless it is absolutely necessary. Does anyone have experience of medical lawyers in Thailand and any recommendations?

Edited by Bonio

Contact a lawyer and get him out of the hospital first if it takes involving the police then proceed with the rest of the process.. It is your choice to have treatment where you wish.

I was at Bumrungrad once and they had a patients bill of rights clearly posted in English and it read very much like any others I've read anywhere else..

Forget about worrying about offending anyone take his health as first priority..

Edited by WarpSpeed

He is out of the Udon hospital. The point is that he is entitled to minimal cost care. However, he can only get this if the Doctor at the original treating hospital 'refers' him to the hospital in Bangkok. If he does not do this (and so far he has said he will not do it) then we will have to pay for his treatment in Bkk. I am willing to pay for his treatment as a last resort but I do not think it is right for a doctor to withhold approval just because he had a disagreement with my girlfriend and he has lost a little bit of 'face'. The evidence suggests that the hospital in Udon does not have the resources to care for her father but the doctor may argue otherwise.

My girlfriend is currently dealing with this in the low key thai way but I want to explore all options should we be unable to get the approvals necessary from the original doctor.

I think the doctor in Udon is restraind by the laws that he has to work by. If everyone wanted top quality treatment as carried out in Bkk, the place would be swamped. The old guy is registered for free treatment in Udon, therefore if the doctor feels that the treatment they offer will suffice, then he can't transfer him to Bkk. Someone said get a lawyer. By the time he's acted the old guy will be dead or cured. Time to stump up Bonio.

Family is expected to assist with nursing in my experience so if no family available I would suggest paying an off-duty nurse for such care during the period he needs to be in hospital. This benefits the poorly paid nurse staff, keeps relationship with doctor for the future and would be much less expensive than private treatment.

I think the doctor in Udon is restraind by the laws that he has to work by. If everyone wanted top quality treatment as carried out in Bkk, the place would be swamped. The old guy is registered for free treatment in Udon, therefore if the doctor feels that the treatment they offer will suffice, then he can't transfer him to Bkk. Someone said get a lawyer. By the time he's acted the old guy will be dead or cured. Time to stump up Bonio.

I disagree, you can get a lawyer with a phone call and in turn he can also make a quick visit or phone call to the hospital, besides what options are you advocating? He's in poor shape anyway and not getting proper care which is a recipe for tragedy anything is better then standing by and doing nothing..

Family is expected to assist with nursing in my experience so if no family available I would suggest paying an off-duty nurse for such care during the period he needs to be in hospital. This benefits the poorly paid nurse staff, keeps relationship with doctor for the future and would be much less expensive than private treatment.

At least this offers some potential solution..

I disagree, you can get a lawyer with a phone call and in turn he can also make a quick visit or phone call to the hospital, besides what options are you advocating? He's in poor shape anyway and not getting proper care which is a recipe for tragedy anything is better then standing by and doing nothing..

For a lawyer to prove medical negligence, which is basically what is happening, he needs to find a senior doctor who is prepared to go against a member of his own profession. I think he's going to have a problem, more so in Thailand, due to their culture in not speaking bad about others.

Edited by sinbin

He's in poor shape anyway and not getting proper care which is a recipe for tragedy anything is better then standing by and doing nothing..

If he's in bad shape why did the family cart him 475km to Bkk ? The family knowing full well he wouldn't get free treatment there. Lopburi3 gave the right answer.