House Hunting In Chiang Mai

sarahsbloke

So my current landlady decided to up my rent (3 bed house in Doi Saket) from 7kbht to 8kbht next month and I am moving out.

two days of cruising later

Found a new 2 bed house out in the wilds (surrounded by rice paddys and chickens) near Bo Sang 2,500bht a month, living room too small.

An old 5 bedroom house on the main road out of Bo Sang (PA Bong) for 3,000bht a month (early wooden bar come western whorehouse style .... yee haaa)

and finally settled on a nice 2 bedroom house just off the road to Mae Rim for 5,000bht a month, Thai estate near Huay Tung Tao.

The prices vary wildly, and it seems to have nothing to do with position of state of the building.

Plenty of places out there though, just cruised around on my m/c with wife on the back phoning when we saw a 'ban chow' sign.

I think that's it for another year now!

Thank God.

So we are effectively talking about $A200 a month - less than $50 per week - not worth buying a place with that rent. Very Nice-I am presuming that we are talking about a non furnished place, but hey, that is still marvelous. I may have to hire you as a rental adviser when my wife and I move over in a few years :D. I have been budgeting about $15K baht a month for a furnished condo

No air-cons ....... but the place I settled on could be called 'furnished'

1 double bed in bedroom with en-suite, 1 mattress on the floor, 1 electric shower, 1 fridge, 2 sofas ...... no cooker!

No security deposit or long term contract, just 2 months rent in advance, then month in advance ........ she wants 1 months notice.

Was also looking at brand new 3 bed houses with views of the mountains near Huay Tung Tao ....

2.3 million bht ........ repayments of about 14kbht a month.

A re-possessed house on the same estate (3 beds) for about 700kbht ...... bank unsure how much it wanted, will let us know.

A very large 5 bedroom house on 1 rai of land looking over rice fields near Bo Sang ....... wanted 2million, thinking about 1.5m (cos I wasn't gonna pay 2M) ... the house needed work on the inside.

Thanks SB. REF...brand new 3 bed houses with views of the mountains near Huay Tung Tao .... 2.3 million bht ........ repayments of about 14kbht a month."

Could you give name and directions please? I've been looking out in that area, but have not gotten as far out yet as Huay Tung Tao. Bo Sang is definitely too far for me.Cheers

Edited by jingjoke

Hi Sarahsbloke can you pm me details of the 2.3 million house at 14,000 per month please.Many thanks.

No air-cons ....... but the place I settled on could be called 'furnished'

1 double bed in bedroom with en-suite, 1 mattress on the floor, 1 electric shower, 1 fridge, 2 sofas ...... no cooker!

No security deposit or long term contract, just 2 months rent in advance, then month in advance ........ she wants 1 months notice.

Was also looking at brand new 3 bed houses with views of the mountains near Huay Tung Tao ....

2.3 million bht ........ repayments of about 14kbht a month.

A re-possessed house on the same estate (3 beds) for about 700kbht ...... bank unsure how much it wanted, will let us know.

A very large 5 bedroom house on 1 rai of land looking over rice fields near Bo Sang ....... wanted 2million, thinking about 1.5m (cos I wasn't gonna pay 2M) ... the house needed work on the inside.

Sure it does, it's the principle. Assuming this is a standard-ish place of the type that pictures were posted of, and a house owner raising the rent for no reason whatsoever.

Hasta la pasta, Landlady!

(See how good that feels? ;) )

Exactly what you said .......... feels good!

Plus it was a double-digit increase, totaling 12,000 annually and in the event, new rent saves 36,000 against the projected cost. That would feed a friend of mine for a year (not counting beer). Gotta say March-May would be a challenge for me without aircon - at which point prices leap up.

Plus it was a double-digit increase, totaling 12,000 annually and in the event, new rent saves 36,000 against the projected cost. That would feed a friend of mine for a year (not counting beer). Gotta say March-May would be a challenge for me without aircon - at which point prices leap up.

I can alway rent a nice condo in town for a couple of months .... if it gets too hot (5k a month).

Or I can buy one of those portable air-con units, they seem to work quite well.

Or I can just move again as no contract.

Edited by sarahsbloke