New Helmet Laws Introduced As Fatality Rate Soars In Thailand

webfact

All the helmets that i've ever seen are made out of plastic,"fiberglass"Ya hit A brick wall at 60 mph ,you can forget it.And the clothes people wear,shorts and sandels,thats really great protection.

60 mph or 110 kmph it isn't the point with helmets - nothing will save your head from a direct hit.

Imagine you are standing next to someone who has a lump-hammer over their shoulder - they quickly turn and the hammer hits your head - you could quite easily crack your skull 0 nobody is even on a motorbike.

Deadly injuries to the head can be sustained at a slow walking pace - a helmet significantly reduces that risk.

stats also show that most accidents happen close to home - so saying you're "only going down the shops" doesn't cut the mustard either.

Given the REALITY of head injuries to motor cyclists (and cyclists) and the strain they put on society, it is only right that they should be worn by law.

the concept of zoning is YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of a Thai minister or nabob spouting off without any research into the idea at all - it's just an ego-stroking exercise.

If you zone helmets then ipso facto you are creating other areas where helmets DON"T HAVE to be worn in a country where the law says they do have to be worn and will probably result in an INCREASE in death and injury as those who might have worn a helmet won't bother.

If the helmet is of good standard it doesn't matter whether Composite or plastic, but I doubt that most of the ones on sale here are up to any standard at all.

Furthermore these "Nazi" helmets and other custom shapes are equally dangerous as they are not designed for accidents - they can lead to torsion injuries etc.

If a helmet has had ANY kind of impact - in accident or simply dropped on the floor, it should be discarded - expensive business - full face is also preferable - I have a friend who'll vouch for that.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys bitch about having more then 2 on bikes and helmet quality, you go pay for an extra bike or car and a nice helmet for a poor thai family then. They don't even have mosquetto nets or shutters and any toilets in the NE let alone these luxuarys.

Get real.

True words spoken, most farangs have no idea what poor is, no idea.

5555555555555555--koto your worse than sam........................no Idea...........bread and lard.................newspapers for table cloths.......................1 bicycle.between 6 kids......................council house................no school uniform..............1 day at the seaside was my annual holiday.........................the Thais are far more better off than our family ever was...................however poor they maybe...........most have motor cycles and mobiles and t.vs.....................I agree a lot of people dont understand--but most know the real truth.... out there in rural Thai country....................if most set their mind to it. they can..if they want...help themselves more..

BTW bicycle helmet laws are being quietly dropped all round the world. Why? Many cities are promoting bicycle rental schemes as an alternative public transport; they are not a success if a helmet law is enforced, and stats show they have very little effect on injury totals.

May be you give us an example, belive it or not, but USA is NOT the WORLD :rolleyes: :jap:

You'd think that the name would give you a hint, but, just between you and me, I'm not American. A real good example, seeming you asked so nicely, is Melbourne AUSTRALIA. Like quite a few cities, they are trying a bicycle rental scheme a la Amsterdam to ease public transport congestion in the inner city. It has been an abject failure because of helmet laws according to the feedback, as has been the case in other places. People are quite happy to use the bikes, but don't wan to drag a helmet around. Suddenly, all the statistics used to force nanny state laws on people are proven to be inaccurate - lies, dam_n lies and statistics.

I did see a link to a Melbourne Age (a non -american newspaper) in an earlier post re this subject. I didn't read it because I figured I knew its contents. What's your excuse?

OK then but you are talking here about bicycles and not about MOTORbikes. I dont need any excuse, I had a motobike accident already and even when I was wearing a helmet I had some scratches in my face but I am happy to be still alive, I doubt that I am if I dont wear a helmet at the last one, maybe alive but with some serious head injuries. I understand you too, I dont like governments also when they want to tell me what I have to do or not to do. The thing is only sooner or later everybody has to make a decision spending some money on its own safety as on the doctors new car or a nice coffin and I think as sooner as better. I do riding 365 days a year and to be honest I never drive slowly, I just cant :rolleyes:

have a great evening and like we say in german, a fault confessed is half redressed....to the Thai comunity :jap:

the concept of zoning is YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of a Thai minister or nabob spouting off without any research into the idea at all - it's just an ego-stroking exercise.

If you zone helmets then ipso facto you are creating other areas where helmets DON"T HAVE to be worn in a country where the law says they do have to be worn and will probably result in an INCREASE in death and injury as those who might have worn a helmet won't bother.

Have you ever been up North or away from the highways and big city streets in Thailand? If so you should know thats bull what you giving us here. When we drive to our farm from the small village we are living in up north we dont use a helmet. I can drive sometimes half an hour without seeing another people or a motobike. Yeah right, sandy roads are dangerous too, but so is it to leave the house in the morning.

You cant compare Citys and busy roads with a normal road up north and that what the Thaigovernment get right.....at least something :jap:

You guys bitch about having more then 2 on bikes and helmet quality, you go pay for an extra bike or car and a nice helmet for a poor thai family then. They don't even have mosquetto nets or shutters and any toilets in the NE let alone these luxuarys.

Get real.

5555555555555555--koto your worse than sam........................no Idea...........bread and lard.................newspapers for table cloths.......................1 bicycle.between 6 kids......................council house................no school uniform..............1 day at the seaside was my annual holiday.........................the Thais are far more better off than our family ever was...................however poor they maybe...........most have motor cycles and mobiles and t.vs.....................I agree a lot of people dont understand--but most know the real truth.... out there in rural Thai country....................if most set their mind to it. they can..if they want...help themselves more..

THis post seems to show - two things - firstly that the poster doesn't really understand what poverty is and secondly they don't really seem to have seen the poorer side of Thai life - family of four living on 3000 pm?? Never seen the sea, or how about 160 baht per day = 3 pound 30 and that's in a major factory 600 km from home? - sleep on a mat on the floor sharing a room with 5 others?

"most have motor cycles and mobiles and t.vs...." - as the real cost of these things is about a tenth of their original you can hardly compare with when you were a kid.

Oh yes - council hose - house? LUXURY - how about a breeze block shanty with earth floor and no drains, electricity or sewer?

Yer diven ken yer born!

Edited by Deeral

Have you ever been up North or away from the highways and big city streets in Thailand? If so you should know thats bull what you giving us here. When we drive to our farm from the small village we are living in up north we dont use a helmet. I can drive sometimes half an hour without seeing another people or a motobike. Yeah right, sandy roads are dangerous too, but so is it to leave the house in the morning.

You cant compare Citys and busy roads with a normal road up north and that what the Thaigovernment get right.....at least something :jap:

ABsolute nonsense? the laws of physics don't change depending on where you live - any excuse is bullshit

Edited by Deeral

Tonight I had to go to the Tesco in Bosang for a few things, so took the car instead of CBR. Normally I drive with the windows up and cd in the player, but tonight, for reasons unknown, I didn't turn on the radio, and actually put the front side windows down. There are no lights along Hwy 121 where my moo ban is located, other than the lights for the entrance. I stopped at the highway because of some traffic coming from my left (I wanted to turn right), and just as I started to pull out I thought I heard something, so I stopped. A split second later a young girl, with NO lights, front or back, and NO helmet, shot by me, doing at least 80kph. Don't ask me why tonight, of all nights, I didn't turn on the radio, or why I put the windows down, because that's something I almost never do. That young lady has no idea of how close to death she came, because even without the radio on, with the windows up, I never would have heard her and would have pulled out, and she would have slammed into the side of my car.

THe introduction of the step-through motorcycle radically changed the rural areas of Thailand - transport, workhorse, tractor - "sky-lab" whatever - and in a poor society the first thing is t get mobile, then get luxuries like safety.The problem now is the Thailand is a WEALTHY country - but with a ruling elite that keeps almost all of the wealth to itself - the rank and file see none of the benefits - it is still hard to afford luxuries like HEALTH and SAFETY -

Raod accidents cost the economy a fortune - in the end the economy will benefit as standards of living rise and death rates fall.

But successive govts have done nothing - they sit back and watch as a huge portion of their countrymen (and women) grovel for a living. If they intend to reduce the accident rates - no pronouncement by govt officials are going to make the slightest difference - the law - needs to be enforced - but you can't enforce a law that the people can't comply to. And a corrupt police force and an underpaid population add to the problem.Either the govt has to concentrate on improving basic wages - (150 to 200 is a joke) or they need to subsidise the price of crash helmets and maybe include to good quality hats in the sale of every new bike - they are as essential as handlebars anyway

Helmets vs. salad bowls:

I saw a solid, full-face helmet in a shop for THB 2,000 on an ex-home visit in Switzerland & bought it. That country won't allow any street gear that hasn't been tested to insanely high standards, and Switzerland also happens to be one of the more expensive places on this planet. It's Made in Vietnam, and you can't tell me that it wouldn't also be possible to sell those in Thailand, at 2% of the cost of a scooter.

Better yet: start a state-sponsored factory [in Isaan, creating jobs and local income], produce proper helmets to high quality/DOT standards, and sell them for THB 1,000 or less -- while outlawing cheap salad bowls! That of course wouldn't make anyone wear a helmet who doesn't today, but it might just save lives amongst those who do wear helmets today, but only have the choice between salad bowls and exorbitantly priced big-name helmets.

right said, in Germany approved helmets available from 23 Euro / 920 THB how much they must be here in asia where they are made.

salad bowls will break your neck most probably in an accident when they flip into your neck, same as oversized full face helmets, might add to the high dead toll too.

reasons for helmet and seat belt laws are also insurance related.

I would make a 'law' that people when having an accident without a helmet are not treated for head injuries or can opt to pay for it themselves, insurance companies just add a clause that without helmet no cover.

No need for enforcement, never works anyway and police should spend their time preventing and solving crime not writing tickets. Everyone can decide if they want to use protection or not. It is called being responsible.

Safety reasons alone should already be enough for people to wear helmets adding financial consequences will push some more.

Problem solved.

Edited by Khun Jean

normally what breaks your neck is the shape and friction characteristics of the helmet - I've never seen this said of full face - what do you mean by "oversize"?you'll notice that all racing motorcyclists wear full-face.I've seen what damage an open face can do to the jaw after it's been scraped along the asphalt for a few yards and I certainly would recommend riding a bike without one.

Edited by Deeral

THe introduction of the step-through motorcycle radically changed the rural areas of Thailand - transport, workhorse, tractor - "sky-lab" whatever - and in a poor society the first thing is t get mobile, then get luxuries like safety.The problem now is the Thailand is a WEALTHY country - but with a ruling elite that keeps almost all of the wealth to itself - the rank and file see none of the benefits - it is still hard to afford luxuries like HEALTH and SAFETY -

Raod accidents cost the economy a fortune - in the end the economy will benefit as standards of living rise and death rates fall.

But successive govts have done nothing - they sit back and watch as a huge portion of their countrymen (and women) grovel for a living. If they intend to reduce the accident rates - no pronouncement by govt officials are going to make the slightest difference - the law - needs to be enforced - but you can't enforce a law that the people can't comply to. And a corrupt police force and an underpaid population add to the problem.Either the govt has to concentrate on improving basic wages - (150 to 200 is a joke) or they need to subsidise the price of crash helmets and maybe include to good quality hats in the sale of every new bike - they are as essential as handlebars anyway

so what are you telling us here. First you say we have to understand Thais are too poor to buy helmets but can buy motobikes and gasoline, handphones and TVs. Second you tell us they are poor because they often share a room with 5 and sleep on mats. So ok maybe they like company? Furthermore you write "...Raod accidents cost the economy a fortune - in the end the economy will benefit as standards of living rise and death rates fall..." thats wrong too! See it the other way around. There are too many people and not enough jobs for everybody....anyway, real work mostly done by Laos or Myanmar foreign workers, because they work. Second is if an accident take place many people having jobs. Doctors, Hospitals, Nurses, Garages etc. will there is a whole branch of economic activity depending on accidents, in the worst case even coffin makers.

be more optimistic, Thailand works, the one way or another. :whistling:

I agree with all the points about rubbish helmets, not done up, no training, 5 on a bike etc etc but I'd also like to add another one, ''Tyre pressures'', I'd like to wager that most bikes in Thailand have at least 40psi in the front and 60psi in the back, nobody ever uses a gauge just pump it up 'till you cant dent it with your fingers seems to be the way here. I go blue in the face trying to explain to my wife and Thai friends the importance of correct tyre pressures but even now I'm sure they'd still trust some unqualified numpty in a wooden shack than the manufacturers recommended tyre pressure label affixed to every bike! I love the Thais but I fear they'll never grow up!

What I don't understand about this issue and others like it, is why does Thailand have such a hard time copying other countries that have had success with things like this? The model is aleady there, use it. Thailand must know by now that without consequences, their laws are unenforceable!

Another crack down that will fade, 2 weeks full on enforcement then back to Pay-Day enforcement.

So don't forget to wear your helmet, look both ways when crossing a one-way street and check the traffic before exiting any 7-11, or any store with a sidewalk

I always wear a Helmet in Thailand when driving a Motorbike.It is common sense.

Well done, that makes me feel a lot better. ;)

A large percentage of those without helmets are uni types and village people, and even the coppers themselves take kids their kids to school un-helmeted. Alcohol and Songkran also play a huge part in the statistics, helmet or no helmet. The only way to do it is for pc plod to nick folk every time and not just at 'tea' time. They also seriously need to take out those without licenses/papers/insurance.

In my family of 3 (me, my Thai wife, and our 26 yr old son whom I legally adopted) there is one simple rule I enforce with an iron fist. No helmet - you don't ride - PERIOD! I don't care if my wife is just taking her Scoopy a couple of soi over to visit a friend, and doesn't go over 30 kph. I've made it clear that this is not an matter for debate, but "Dad's Law". Punishment is loss of motorbike for a week.

I also have a beautiful niece who turned 14 yesterday. She calls me by my name, refers to me as her "uncle" to others, but loves me like her father, since she she's never really had one, and it's a mutual feeling on my part. What's funny is that her mom, who is my wife's younger sister, called a couple of months ago to tell me that two of Donut's friends came by on a motorbike and wanted her to go with them. She told them no, because if her uncle found out she was on a motorbike with 2 more people, or on one without a helmet, he would put her over his knees and spank her right in front of everyone. They thought they could resolve the issue by calling another friend to come get Donut, making sure he brought a helmet with him. But when the other friend showed up with a plastic "salad bowl", she still refused, saying that wasn't a safe helmet.

When I heard this, the next day I took her out and bought her an INDEX full face, letting her pick out the one she wanted.

Oh, and she also will not ride with anyone who is not legally old enough to drive.

So the young CAN be taught with the right approach. Yes, I did the talk about safety, head injuries, etc., but what really stuck in her head is that the man she loves as her father really wold spank her in front of all her friends if she "breaks the rules", and THAT would be about the most embarrassing thing that could happen to her.

You just have to find the right motivation. :rolleyes:

BTW bicycle helmet laws are being quietly dropped all round the world. Why? Many cities are promoting bicycle rental schemes as an alternative public transport; they are not a success if a helmet law is enforced, and stats show they have very little effect on injury totals.

May be you give us an example, belive it or not, but USA is NOT the WORLD :rolleyes: :jap:

You'd think that the name would give you a hint, but, just between you and me, I'm not American. A real good example, seeming you asked so nicely, is Melbourne AUSTRALIA. Like quite a few cities, they are trying a bicycle rental scheme a la Amsterdam to ease public transport congestion in the inner city. It has been an abject failure because of helmet laws according to the feedback, as has been the case in other places. People are quite happy to use the bikes, but don't wan to drag a helmet around. Suddenly, all the statistics used to force nanny state laws on people are proven to be inaccurate - lies, dam_n lies and statistics.

I did see a link to a Melbourne Age (a non -american newspaper) in an earlier post re this subject. I didn't read it because I figured I knew its contents. What's your excuse?

OK then but you are talking here about bicycles and not about MOTORbikes. I dont need any excuse, I had a motobike accident already and even when I was wearing a helmet I had some scratches in my face but I am happy to be still alive, I doubt that I am if I dont wear a helmet at the last one, maybe alive but with some serious head injuries. I understand you too, I dont like governments also when they want to tell me what I have to do or not to do. The thing is only sooner or later everybody has to make a decision spending some money on its own safety as on the doctors new car or a nice coffin and I think as sooner as better. I do riding 365 days a year and to be honest I never drive slowly, I just cant :rolleyes:

have a great evening and like we say in german, a fault confessed is half redressed....to the Thai comunity :jap:

I guess your attempt at USA bashing failed, eh :o

I think this forum should be renamed the "old woman winging wanke_rs and wosers forum".   Take a look at yourselves!! ... U leave your own over priced and regulated country to come and live in a place where there is some freedom to decide on the level of risk that you r going to live your life with.   Most of what I read on this forum is about having more laws and more fines and more restriction of indivuality.  Please <deleted> and let natural selection take it course.

Anarchy lures, OK?

Yes Ian great photo and agree with you both, in our village I see the kids all piling on top of each other 5 or 6 on one bike having fun.

I was told simply by my policeman friend that you have to take care of motorbike riders when you are in Thailand because in your car you are bigger than them and it's you that can hurt them, especially if it's kids because if you hit them it will be your fault and make sure you honk your horn at them.

I say take care give them a wide berth keep away from them as much as possible and, yes, honk your horn at them.

There's a guy who gets on the bike forum, he has a great saying. " If shit happens, it happens, and there's nowt you can do about it ".

Most people here are certainly missing the point alright, the fact this is Thailand seems to have slip there mind and are trying to bring there own draconian enforcement laws and mind sets of what country they come from into Thailand, I strongly disagree.

If they want to wear a helmet when others don't, fine, if you wear a piece of plastic so you don't get fined, fine, if at times you don't have to wear a helmet, fine. Thai people do what they want, it is not for anyone here to tell them otherwise they are Thai people and you are not.

Some humanity among TV posters, difficult to find indeed, nice post kwasaki :)

trouble is if you buy and wear a decent helmet it's stolen as soon as you park your m/c if you secure it they just cut the straps

Not necessarily. I drive a CBR 150 (the new one), and have a REAL (brand name) full head/face helmet which cost me just a tad over 2,000 baht. Then I went to Tesco and bought a small bicycle chain/lock for about 100 bht. When I park the bike, the helmet is locked on with that. Sure, a pair of bolt cutters would cut through the chain, but I don't see many Thai walking around with those.

:lol:

Totally agree just1voice, a lock like that will stop people stealing the helmet.

But is it necessary? I brought an expensive Shoei helmet with me to Thailand in 91 and I put it in the basket unlocked for easily over 100,000 km in Bangkok before it finally got stolen in 98 or 99 something. It was so worn out I should have replaced it anyway by that time. That helmet wouldn't have lasted a day in New York or London even, here it took 8 years before it got stolen. I still only lock my (reasonably expensive) helmets at work, otherwise its always just hanging on the mirror, doesn't get stolen more than once every 10 years. That's statistics that American and the US can't beat :)

"Exactly, quality helmets should be made mandatory if helmets are mandatory. However, for a bright few, there are places where proper helmets can be purchased in Pattaya and Bangkok. " Post #60 page 2.

Can you please give details of these places with proper helmets. PM is fine if not allowed to promote simple safety on TV.

Edit, trying to remove Italics, but Failed.

There's a Shoei shop on the left (west) side of Ratchadaphisek Rd going north, just pass see yeak Huaykwang a bit and you'll see it

In North East Thailand during the week-end, during the hours of darkness, during the rain - the skulls of Thailand's motorcyclists and their passengers are impervious to injury.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH - every country that has introduced helmet laws has seen a HUGE reduction in fatalities - Thinking about it I think youve escaped from somewhere havent you?

Ianbaggie, I won't miss you if you get a heart attack and stay away from the post button for a while. Can you please stop screaming? I can hear you all the way to Central World

Apart from that I must say that you are absolutely correct in this post :)

May I add; As have every country that introduce a law forcing that headlights on all vehicles must always be on all the time

I only screamed 2 words - and it serves you right for being at central world instead of been at work - heres hoping you get a heart attack before me - glad we agree on everything else though but then were both sensible level headed westerners arent we? - EH!!!!B)

I don't compare myself with you, 100 of your current posts have been to loud for me to want to do that

Just as well - youd fall WAY short!!!!

<quote name='ianbaggie' timestamp='1292400128' post='4089205'>

In North East Thailand during the week-end, during the hours of darkness, during the rain - the skulls of Thailand's motorcyclists and their passengers are impervious to injury.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH - every country that has introduced helmet laws has seen a HUGE reduction in fatalities - Thinking about it I think youve escaped from somewhere havent you?

</quote>

Ianbaggie, I won't miss you if you get a heart attack and stay away from the post button for a while. Can you please stop screaming? I can hear you all the way to Central World

Apart from that I must say that you are absolutely correct in this post :)

May I add; As have every country that introduce a law forcing that headlights on all vehicles must always be on all the time

I only screamed 2 words - and it serves you right for being at central world instead of been at work - heres hoping you get a heart attack before me - glad we agree on everything else though but then were both sensible level headed westerners arent we? - EH!!!!B)

I don't compare myself with you, 100 of your current posts have been to loud for me to want to do that

Just as well - youd fall WAY short!!!!

You're loud again

And it's unpolite to be loud and use capital letters in every post :whistling:

Edited by MikeyIdea

Yes Ian great photo and agree with you both, in our village I see the kids all piling on top of each other 5 or 6 on one bike having fun.

I was told simply by my policeman friend that you have to take care of motorbike riders when you are in Thailand because in your car you are bigger than them and it's you that can hurt them, especially if it's kids because if you hit them it will be your fault and make sure you honk your horn at them.

I say take care give them a wide berth keep away from them as much as possible and, yes, honk your horn at them.

There's a guy who gets on the bike forum, he has a great saying. " If shit happens, it happens, and there's nowt you can do about it ".

Most people here are certainly missing the point alright, the fact this is Thailand seems to have slip there mind and are trying to bring there own draconian enforcement laws and mind sets of what country they come from into Thailand, I strongly disagree.

If they want to wear a helmet when others don't, fine, if you wear a piece of plastic so you don't get fined, fine, if at times you don't have to wear a helmet, fine. Thai people do what they want, it is not for anyone here to tell them otherwise they are Thai people and you are not.

If you go back and read the OP I think you will find that this time it's the Thai Government saying that it's time to enforce existing rules to cut the carnage.

If you go back and read the OP I think you will find that this time it's the Thai Government saying that it's time to enforce existing rules to cut the carnage.

Yes, and my comment is about many of the posters here and not about the author of the article that the OP posts ;)

Get real.

THis post seems to show - two things - firstly that the poster doesn't really understand what poverty is and secondly they don't really seem to have seen the poorer side of Thai life - family of four living on 3000 pm?? Never seen the sea, or how about 160 baht per day = 3 pound 30 and that's in a major factory 600 km from home? - sleep on a mat on the floor sharing a room with 5 others?

"most have motor cycles and mobiles and t.vs...." - as the real cost of these things is about a tenth of their original you can hardly compare with when you were a kid.

Oh yes - council hose - house? LUXURY - how about a breeze block shanty with earth floor and no drains, electricity or sewer?

Yer diven ken yer born!

Deeral, The point I was trying to make to the other 2 persons was---there are poor and there are POOR, you 3 are trying to get brownie points from poor thais. trying to make others think I am Thai bashing---WE know about the shanty--we know about the needy----I am or was talking about the Thai that plead poverty---but can help themselves----obviously you dont think they exist--you think they all live in shantys-----if they dont have electricity how do they charge their mobiles----and the poor and old can get free electric- they all have village water--and its up to the thai if he wants a pvc shower pipe--or just a tap and a trough of water for washing..I live in a small shanty village, and help the needy---but I do not help the greedy-----but this IS about using a helmet-most is lazy-itis----my post is an answer to the believers of most thais do not have money for helmets. that is wrong---I went without when I was a kid---if we couldn,t afford we didnt buy-----why get a bike -and not a helmet