Christmas Turkeys?

tourleadersi

Any one got any ideas on the best place to find a turkey for this Christmas? I know that Tops and Villa are selling the frozen ones, but wanted to get hold of one that was already cooked and perhaps even came with the trimmings for a good Christmas Lunch for Bangkok? Last year Tops did an awesome deal, with a roasted bird, stuffing and gravy at a reasonable price, but the Tops near me doesnt seem to be promoting this for 2010. Anyone know if any of the other stores are offering it? Will be gutted if not. I dont have an oven at home, so roasting is out of the question, and with two little kids, I wanted to have a meal at home rather than in a restaurant or pub (for the sanity of the other diners!)

Cheers, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all TV members.

I picked up a flyer in the food hall in Central World, same group as Tops I think, that says they are doing the cooked turkey package from 2490 Baht, they do deliver and I think you can order in all their stores.

Villa were also advertising the cooked birds on a poster in-store, didn't see their prices or details as they had run out of fliers.

I was hoping for breast only as I always have too many leftovers

The Central / Tops flyer has the frozen breast joints, 2 kg at 520 Baht per kg, they also have a roasting service of 1000 Baht for a turkey.

1,000 baht is a bit steep.

Absolutely, especially as they only charge 150 Baht to cook a chicken. Suspect they rely on the fact not everyone has an oven, I doubt that a turkey will fit in my halogen oven.

Edited by theoldgit

Absolutely, especially as they only charge 150 Baht to cook a chicken. Suspect they rely on the fact not everyone has an oven, I doubt that a turkey will fit in my halogen oven.

I think I will fire up the barbie. Anyone got a sure fire recipe for the perfect bbq turkey?

Thanks everyone, thats great news! To be honest, in 2007 and 2008 I bought frozen turkeys and cooked them at home along with all the trimmings. Then last year my parents were over and I couldnt be bothered with all the hassle so ordered one of the 2490 THB birds with gravy and stuffing. Collected in the morning of the 25th at my local Tops, and it was in one of those large foil roasting dishes covered in more foil. Big pots of stuffing and gravy. All was so good that I decided to never again bother with all the hassle of cooking it at home. Previously I had paid 1.5k for a bird, so for 2.5k from Tops you are looking at a 1k extra costs as mentioned before. When you consider how good the stuffing and gravy was, and the fact that the bird was cooked to perfection and saved me a load of hassle with a hangover, it seems a worthwhile charge.

I sound like a PR man for Tops Turkeys dont I!! Just chuffed to bits that they are doing them again this year, and thanks for looking into it for me. Will have a look at the Villa one as well and see what they are offering. Have a great season everyone.

With all due respect to Bourbon Street, where I have spent two Thanksgivings, I rather love my own turkey dinner the best. And as I am on a short trip to the US for business, I decided to buy a turkey and bring it back with me. I picked up a frozen Butterball, and I will put it in a freezer pack for the plane ride over. I also picked up cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, etc, but will get the fresh stuff at Fresh Mart or Villa.

I really hope this works out with the turkey still in good shape, or I guess its Bourbon Street again on Christmas.

With regards to Bonobo's comments above, here's the info re this year's Bourbon Street Christmas offering...a bit pricey....

Last year, I did our Thanksgiving turkey at Bully's Pub on Suk Soi 4.... about 600 baht....for a very good buffet... I can't recall if they did the same for Christmas.... Ahh...I was in the USA for Christmas last year....

post-53787-0-11378200-1292725501_thumb.j

I think I will fire up the barbie. Anyone got a sure fire recipe for the perfect bbq turkey?

Yesterday in the Daily Mail there was an article about deep frying a Turkey. Apparently quite common in USA.

Yesterday in the Daily Mail there was an article about deep frying a Turkey. Apparently quite common in USA.

It's not common, it exists but I've never met anyone who's done it. Bourbon Street does Cajun deep fried turkey for Christmas

For those talking about not having an oven large enough to cook their own turkey, most of the farang grocery stores this time of year will stock the frozen Butterball or similar turkey breasts, and sizewise, those usually would fit into the standard toaster oven sizing.

It's not common, it exists but I've never met anyone who's done it. Bourbon Street does Cajun deep fried turkey for Christmas

Deep-frying is becoming more popular, and it makes a moist bird. I have eaten it, and I like the taste. But I would never do it myself as I like in-the-bird stuffing and real gravy. If you brine the bird first, it is just as moist as deep-fired.