Do You Wish You Were Born In Thailand?

marquess

I feel very thankful that I was born and raised in the US of A, and I would not have it any other way.

IMHO I would never have had the same opportunities being born in Thailand that I had available to me in the US. I am of the first generation of my family to attend college – none of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, or my patents went to university – about 30% of my cousins have attended. But I was able to borrow/get loans to pay my own way thru university and then work my way thru grad school in the evenings. I was able to obtain a fairly well paid job based upon my skill sets and not my connections. My history of working/paying my own way thru school (and therefore being from a rather poor family) was not a negative mark when looking for a job, but instead a positive feature that indicated to my employers that I was a hard worker. My parents are basically uneducated “hillbillies” but my background was not held against me in my educational pursuits nor my work pursuits.

People can knock the USA all they want. No the playing field is not 100% level, there is still levels of racism, there are still levels of sexism, there is corruption, connections can help to get things done. But, if you are a hard worker, are willing to continue to put forth the effort, you will be able to better your lot in life in the US.

The only way I could possibly fathom being better off being born in Thailand, would be if I was born into a rich and/or well connected family.

Edited by TokyoT

Most of us who live here, really love the country. Would any of us have liked to have been born here; if so how different do you think you would be??

Do you mean, as in born a natural Thai, with Thai parents etc? Or as in, still having Farang/Western parents but just having the place of birth in Thailand?

IMO, nothing great about being a Thai unless you want to live in Thailand all your life. Hard to get a visa anywhere in the world (western countries) for holidays unless you are covered in gold.

So, thanks but NO thanks!

Why not?

Thailand can be a very nice place to grow up if the circumstances are right. Thai people love children and the littles ones enjoy many freedoms here. There are wonderful places for romping and playing outside of the city. The only drawback I see is the education system. Unfortunately that's a major one. To follow an education path similar to my own in Germany, one would have to grow up in a fairly privileged Thai family, one can afford to send its kids to private schools and foreign universities.

My daughter was born in Thailand this year. I hope that I will be able to afford this kind of education for her. If this should one day not be possible anymore, I would probably leave Thailand.

Cheers, X-Pat

Guest endure

The Thai ability to make most things sanook and their attitude towards life in general would be things worth having.

Edited by endure

If I had $1million in the bank I'd pay that money in a heartbeat NOT to be born Thai.

What are the advantages, nothing as I or anyone with half a brain can see.

People who live in the west or other super-developed countries generally have everything going for them. In less developed countries you basically have NOTHING going to you.

My daughter was born in Thailand this year. I hope that I will be able to afford this kind of education for her. If this should one day not be possible anymore, I would probably leave Thailand.

Cheers, X-Pat

That's the thing though X-Pat. You are German and so your Daughter can pretty much travel freely anywhere in the world (money permitting). If you had been Thai, you, your wife and your Daughter would struggle to travel anywhere. That's why i asked the Op to clarify the question.

Cheers MrBoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

No thanks, happy enough to be married with one and if I get the chance in the future will try to become a resident but born here, with thai parentage?, no, born here with expat parentage? I cant say, as I have only lived this life & have had a happy one :o

Most of us who live here, really love the country. Would any of us have liked to have been born here; if so how different do you think you would be??

Do you mean, as in born a natural Thai, with Thai parents etc? Or as in, still having Farang/Western parents but just having the place of birth in Thailand?

Of Thai parentage!

Of Thai parentage!

In that case, NO, no way, no thank you. :o

mrbojangles: That's the thing though X-Pat. You are German and so your Daughter can pretty much travel freely anywhere in the world (money permitting).

Of course! Perhaps I should say: "I would not mind to be born here, provided that I enjoyed similar privileges." Mind you, if you are a Thai with a big enough bank account and a few ambassador friends, then any visa restrictions will magically become less stringent. :o

On the other hand, if the question is: "Would you like to be born in Thailand and and raise buffalos in Nakhorn Nowhere for a living?", then the answer is certainly no.

Cheers, X-Pat

I was born Thai, grew up in Ireland, now I'm back in Thailand for good with my Thai nationality back, which makes working here so much easier than when I had my work permit! So from my point of view I'm happy with being born Thai, but glad of my education from Europe.