Model Taxpayers Receive Award From PM Abhisit

webfact

PM awards best tax payers

BANGKOK, 14 December 2010 (NNT) - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has presided over the awarding ceremony for 99 best tax payers while pledging that tax revenue will be spent in the most efficient way.

The event was held by the Revenue Department to praise those who had been good models in paying taxes. The 99 awards were given by the premier to both entities and individuals with the best records of tax payment.

During the awarding ceremony, Mr Abhisit assured that the government would manage the tax money in an effective and transparent manner for the public benefit. He promised to monitor the use of the tax money and strictly impose anti-corruption policies to ensure every baht counts.

The Prime Minister also said the Bureau of the Budget had assessed that in the next 10 years, the country could see revenue of up to 3 trillion baht, mainly as a result of investments in mega projects.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-12-14 footer_n.gif

PM Urges Citizens to Pay Taxes for National Development

At an award ceremony for excellent taxpayers, the prime minister is urging with all sectors to pay their taxes, which go toward the country's development.

The premier also expects the national budget to reach 3 trillion baht within the next 10 years.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva presided over an awards ceremony for 99 outstanding taxpayers from throughout the country.

Abhisit pointed out that currently, the national revenue collection system is inefficient and vulnerable to corruption.

The government is aiming to reform the tax system to ensure fairness and to prevent corruption in state procurement projects.

At the same time, the state is planning to integrate a geographic information system into the revenue collection system to help the government monitor investment projects in the country.

The prime minister also added that the government aims to educate the taxpayers as to their rights and responsibilities, as the national budget has been continually increasing.

Abhisit has indicated that 2010 is the first year in which national expenditures will surpass the 2 trillion baht mark, saying that the national budget could reach 3 trillion baht within the next 10 years, when calculated based on the current costs of state investment projects and welfare programs.

The outstanding taxpayers have been categorized into three groups: three are corporations, 76 are normal taxpayers selected from each of the provinces and another 20 were chosen from all over the country.

The program is designed to remind taxpayers of their civic responsibilities.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-14

footer_n.gif

All the model taxpayers in Thailand are foreigners. Locals snake their way out of paying taxes anyway possible (under declare income, LTF, etc). I, on the other hand have been paying more than 30% of my income to the taxes religiously for more than 12 years. WHERE THE <deleted> IS MY MEDAL!!!!

Would it not have been far better, to have 99 Business/ Political/ Military people in Handcuffs for NOT paying their taxes?

Oh, and i love the fact the PM went on to say "... that currently, the national revenue collection system is inefficient and vulnerable to corruption....and will reform the tax system to ensure fairness and to prevent corruption in state procurement projects"

If ever there was proof that everything outside Bangkok is simply run by modern day "Fuedal Lords" it is when he says ".... the state is planning to integrate a geographic information system into the revenue collection system to help the government monitor investment projects in the country".

So if you are in Bangkok, we have some control. Outside that, we have handed power to the Lords who give out funds to friends and family, allocate funds to projects they own, manage or control and the tax get placed in private coffers.

So where is the Thai version of Robin Hood when you need him? ;)

I've got to agree that this is a strange type of award. I'd like to know the selection criteria, but I can't help thinking that I'd be rather embarrassed to be nominated for one of these. Isn't this really just the equivalent of "Worst Accountants of the Year" award? Then again, it's probably just another one of the many pseudo-functions that seem to dominate Thailand -- no real meaning or purpose.

Good luck to Abhisit with the reform of the taxation system.

Effective tax collection is integral to stamping out corruption. A long held driver of street-level corruption - which is the most visible - is low wages among low ranking officials. With increased tax money, the government should be able to pay them more and discourage more officers from trying to rip off the public.

Now he just needs to sort out education and this country will start dragging itself out of the third world.

I was charged 7 baht tax today by the mail man for a registered prepaid shoebox size packet from Australia. I asked him 2 times to make sure I understood what the 7 baht was for. (TAX) I really had to chuckle when I gave him a 10 baht coin and he had no change. I overpaid by 40+% and no thank you.

Is this meant to encourage more people to pay taxes? He He. I have said it before Thailand needs Tax Police, who could even be rewarded for finding tax cheats, should not be so hard, since I figure about 80% of the people pay no tax or an amount not portionate to their earnings. Just keep gouging the foreigners to support the infrastructure with a double pricing system. My boss finds it hard to believe that everyone in Canada pays the same entrance fee, black or white, Thai or Canadian.

The cost of the ceremony was paid for buy the taxes the attendees paid

Surely just a chance to hob not and a chance for the OM to thanks his

supports

I am pretty sure Pim who works at my local 7-11 was not there.

These are the types of events that get certain people riled up and

the PM should keep out of the press

I was charged 7 baht tax today by the mail man for a registered prepaid shoebox size packet from Australia. I asked him 2 times to make sure I understood what the 7 baht was for. (TAX) I really had to chuckle when I gave him a 10 baht coin and he had no change. I overpaid by 40+% and no thank you.

Be sure to check next years list -

Good luck to Abhisit with the reform of the taxation system.

Effective tax collection is integral to stamping out corruption. A long held driver of street-level corruption - which is the most visible - is low wages among low ranking officials. With increased tax money, the government should be able to pay them more and discourage more officers from trying to rip off the public.

Now he just needs to sort out education and this country will start dragging itself out of the third world.

... and then we will have to find somewhere else to live!

I honestly dont understand a lot of people here... i came here because its dirt cheap, highly corrupt and crazy! I love it. So people just complain about all the 3rd world crap.. and then what? going to comlpain its just like back ho,e~!