Beware Staff At Power Buy

jocko

My Thai wife went into Power buy in the jungcelon to buy a replacement remote for the tv she showed the salesman the old remote and he fetched her a new one at 1100baht she gave him the cash but she was thinking expensive and she asked him for check bin he said ' No Bin' so thinking this is not correct she made a excuse to go to the toilet leaving her friend to stay with the salesman in Power buy, she nipped into carrfore with the same request to be told' we dont have' but you can get in Phuket town for about 300baht needless to say she went and got her cash back from the Power buy salesman who give it back to her very quickly.

So i am thinking the salesman had his own little sideline selling Power buy stock from his back pocket so the moral is !!!!!!!!!

Things from powerbuy are expensive but i use them anyway. If you brough alot of things from them the good saleperson will help u and offer to sell u things (exp, optical cable or hdmi ) in staff price which is good,(their is no recip for it tho and i know the full price at the shelf). i like powerbuy and always use them.

and yes you can get all kind of remote in thai shop or vendor at the market for a couple hundred, ur wife should know it. :jap:

Of course you neglected to say how much this remote actually cost you in the end. Did she get it for ฿300?

You did say that the sales person quickly refunded her money. To insinuate that there is some kind of scam going on at PB based on this story is a bit of a stretch.

And the moral is?? I would say it would be to do some research and shopping around first before laying out the money at the first place you go to.

I'll try to post this again (is TV site playing up?)

The same thing happened to me at Robinson in Jungceylon. Purchased a USB modem and no receipt. Asked why and given some unlikely story about the electronics section being under separate ownership (in any case, what's that got to do with not giving receipts?) Considered speaking to the store manager but decided not to. My suspicion is that the staff pocket the money and treat the property as stock loss (as in shop lifted). Since there were two or three others hovering around at the time, it would seem to be a common practice (if my suspicions are correct). Of course, I may be wrong, hence not reporting it to the manager (who, I suppose, could also be in on the joke in any case).

Did someone call me cynical?

The only lesson I see here is that apparently keyboards are sold "downtown" for cheap, but without the punctuation keys ;) The OP was a real rollercoaster "write"!

Apart from that, why not use Shopping 101 such as: check the price tag, pay at the cashier (don't be lazy and wait for your change where you found the goods) by yourself, know the rough value of the goods you're looking for, be able to distinguish apparently similar types of goods (e.g. a manufacturer replacement remote should be significantly more expensive than a Chinese knock-off sold in "downtown" shops, same goes for universal remotes).

As a moral, I'd say "don't make generalizing statements based on anectodical evidence" would be a good one. Got two posts here where this applies.

Thank's for your comments and advice i am not in Thailand right now but my wife needed a remote lives in Patong so Powerbuy was the shop i agree about checking prices first etc but in 10years of being in Patong i have found out that asking the average Thai where you can buy something like electronic goods etc they dont know much i can understand this as many dont come from Phuket and are not often shopping for the things we want and dont have computer's etc to look online so they choose the local shops just as my wife did.

She got the same remote in Phuket town for 300baht if the Powerbuy salesman was giving her a staff discount as has been suggested i think there would still be a paper bill for stock control you always get a receipt from shops in Thailand and you need one in case you have to return something that is faulty .

<snip>

As a moral, I'd say "don't make generalizing statements based on anectodical evidence" would be a good one. Got two posts here where this applies.

Anecdotal evidence? Perhaps you misread my post - it was a personal (first hand) experience. Hardly anecdotal (or 'anectodical' either, for that matter)...

Personal experience of Powerbuys has been good. I spent an exhausting 4 hours slogging around Panthip Plaza and failed to buy a net book after getting thoroughly confused about the various discounts and add on costs for genuine/copy operating systems etc ..... then dropped in to Powerbuys in Central Chidlom where the same netbook was the same cost as Panthips 'discounted' cost and they installed all the software I needed and gave me a free mouse and bag.

Like most department stores the world over there seems to be one of two knowledgeable and helpful staff and about 10 who just stand around - but if you find the right person they seem to be a good operation.

Just to make clear i am not saying Powerbuy is a bad company i have bought many things from them in the past and will continue to shop there my post was Beware some sales staff if you buy something with no receipt you could be asking for trouble later would you accept that deal anywhere else, i don't think so .

No receipt no proof of purchase

The mrs. has twice been offered top buy HDMI-cables, much cheaper than the shop price, directly from Big-C staffs. They took it from boxes with DVD-players and they had to go behind the shelves, not to be captured on security cameras. Told her to never accept a deal like this again, as she could easily be accused for shoplifting.

A few weeks ago a seller in PowerBuy offered me an optical cable with a discount of THB 800 compared to the shop price, if he could deliver it in my home the following day. Of course I accepted that deal.

I was buying a bag from Robinson Jungceylon and staff asked if I would be interested to get 2000THB discount on +4000THB bag but without a receipt. I didn't accept but went somewhere else to buy my bag instead. I was thinking afterward what would have happened if I was stopped at the front door by a security guard? Similar thing happened to my friend at the same shop. I wonder how often it really happens there?

This is not about powerbuy, but i think its the same everywhere

I went to Homepro to buy a Kercher high pressure washer, i knew what i wanted, 2 guys in there tried for a long time to get me to buy an Italian washer, as i only want a Lamborghini, Lavazza coffee or Ducati from Italy, i asked why in the he.l they tried so hard to sell me the washer,, oohh we get money from the company selling them to Homepro. I got my Kercher.

I went to Homepro to buy a Kercher high pressure washer, i knew what i wanted, 2 guys in there tried for a long time to get me to buy an Italian washer, as i only want a Lamborghini, Lavazza coffee or Ducati from Italy, i asked why in the he.l they tried so hard to sell me the washer,, oohh we get money from the company selling them to Homepro. I got my Kercher.

The commission factor has always been my conclusion when sales staff try to sell you another model from the one you originally intend to buy. However, if you press them hard enough they will sometimes admit the shortcomings on some of the products.

Did someone call me cynical?

Nothing cynical about it, old chap, you're just being stiffed in the traditional Somchai manner :ph34r: ...business as usual. Living with the constant lying, deceit and greed just goes with the manor.B)

I thought racial slurs where against the rules on TV ??

Just as I was mentioning irrational, illogical slagging off of Phuket in another thread, along comes someone that makes even 'LivinLOS' look like a wet behind the ears newbie. The difference is, at least 'LivinLOS' has actually lived in Phuket for a long period of time. This poster, as far as I'm aware has never more than holidayed here for short periods of time, yet never has anything to say that isn't rude, obnoxious, and borderline racist. Pathetic. How's the snow and sub zero temperatures treating you in Blighty old chap? :D

If you search for something on an online price checker, say an expensive electronic item, you will find the prices will range from £200 to £800 for the exact same product! A shop will price a product for as high an amount they think they can sell it for, it's as simple as that. No one at Power Buy will ever put a gun to your head. If you think the price is too high or you need a reciept, you simply walk away. Hardly worth calling a scam in my opinion.

Funny cos the exact same thing happened in a home pro here in CM.. Looking at power washers and they were forcing this italian brand on me.. Every time I looked at a different one.. "but ohh no this one better".. Unlike you tho I didnt buy the higher quality I got a chinese cheapo one (2k discounted to 1k !!) I figured even if it dies within the year I can get 4 of them by the time I get to one expensive one.

They must get a better commission on those or something cos there were multiple guys all trying to push it..

In addition to the Italian products you would consider buying, actually boats, pumps and highpressurewashers are of good quality :D

and Beretta :)

A bit unrelated but same experience.

Tonight I was at the Dairy Queen Jungceylon. Ordered 2 small and a medium icecream. Total was 30 plus 30 plus 40. 100B.

She punched in 100 but did not do it individually. It was a show. She simply typed in 100 but did not press enter to open the till. Then very quickly cleared it and typed 30 and pressed enter.

I got charged 100 b, she puts 70 in her pocket at the end of the day.

F that. I told her why my receipt shows only 30 baht. She silently added 70 to the till, opened it and gave me that receipt as well.

At the end of the day, she and her little buddy must make a fortune with all the russians tonight buying from her.

The mrs. has twice been offered top buy HDMI-cables, much cheaper than the shop price, directly from Big-C staffs. They took it from boxes with DVD-players and they had to go behind the shelves, not to be captured on security cameras. Told her to never accept a deal like this again, as she could easily be accused for shoplifting.

A few weeks ago a seller in PowerBuy offered me an optical cable with a discount of THB 800 compared to the shop price, if he could deliver it in my home the following day. Of course I accepted that deal.

Nothing better than saving 800 baht by showing a likely thief where you live.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like plenty of people like reading these stories, so might as well add mine. I went shopping in Centan last year I was looking for some decent boardshorts, I found a nice Oakley pair and after trying them on the young salesman told me the price and all was fine until he started acting a bit odd! now I am an ex Customs Officer and am prone to watching people quite closely for anything that might seem out of the ordinary. So, first this guy holds out his hand for the money and he has got slightly shaky hands and eyes darting around all over the place, I remember thinking what is he up to, he walks off and says he will return in a minute, I watched him discreetly as he just went for a stroll chatted with some other store guy and then returned to me, he then reached behind a mirror and grabbed a Central Dept Store bag puts the shorts inside smiles and says thank you.

I was thinking, but not really hard enough because my only focus was my 10 THB change that he had not given me? so I asked him for it and he simply put his hand in his pocket and gave me a 10b coin. No doubt whatsoever in my mind he presented me with a stolen pair of shorts and pocketed 1090 THB.

Yeh yeh I can imagine what the comments might be, but to be honest I was a bit overwhelmed at this whole thing. I had not been in Thailand that long and even though it is common sense to expect a receipt I just did not know how to handle this situation. I walked out thinking thieving bastard! I should go straight back and report him, but of course I was outside the shop then with no receipt, and trying to explain all this in Thai, well who wants that kind of aggro. Having been here just over a year now I am still no expert but a hell of a lot wiser than I was. Now I always walk with the salesman to the cashier. Could you imagine getting nabbed at the door by security with no receipt or ability (language wise) to explain the situation, scary thought.

Edited by Wossnext

Looks like plenty of people like reading these stories, so might as well add mine. I went shopping in Centan last year I was looking for some decent boardshorts, I found a nice Oakley pair and after trying them on the young salesman told me the price and all was fine until he started acting a bit odd! now I am an ex Customs Officer and am prone to watching people quite closely for anything that might seem out of the ordinary. So, first this guy holds out his hand for the money and he has got slightly shaky hands and eyes darting around all over the place, I remember thinking what is he up to, he walks off and says he will return in a minute, I watched him discreetly as he just went for a stroll chatted with some other store guy and then returned to me, he then reached behind a mirror and grabbed a Central Dept Store bag puts the shorts inside smiles and says thank you.

I was thinking, but not really hard enough because my only focus was my 10 THB change that he had not given me? so I asked him for it and he simply put his hand in his pocket and gave me a 10b coin. No doubt whatsoever in my mind he presented me with a stolen pair of shorts and pocketed 1090 THB.

Yeh yeh I can imagine what the comments might be, but to be honest I was a bit overwhelmed at this whole thing. I had not been in Thailand that long and even though it is common sense to expect a receipt I just did not know how to handle this situation. I walked out thinking thieving bastard! I should go straight back and report him, but of course I was outside the shop then with no receipt, and trying to explain all this in Thai, well who wants that kind of aggro. Having been here just over a year now I am still no expert but a hell of a lot wiser than I was. Now I always walk with the salesman to the cashier. Could you imagine getting nabbed at the door by security with no receipt or ability (language wise) to explain the situation, scary thought.

credit card is Gold in department stores

in Phuket and all over the world :D

I sometimes walk around the Power Buy in Jungceylon and have never seen this stuff going on. Surely, there is an internal audit function with a keen eye to inventory shrinkage? No business could operate if it was leeding money. Look at what happens when you go into into Carrefour. They seal your bag. If you purchase at the cosmetics section (and people do, often checking out with their pork ribs, fish sauce and whatever from that cashier), they tape your bag shut.

However, the one thing about these products is that if the ticket isn't deactivated, the alarm goes off when you leave the premises. I set off the beeper at Carrefour on Friday and the security lady checked my bag. How do all these crooks get around the inventory scanners?