How To Find A Cook/maid

RocketMan

I'm looking for a Thai who can who can cook good Thai meals, and also clean the house, do laundry, etc. She should be able to at least speak basic English. The only catch is that I'm living in Seoul, Korea. Thais can freely travel to Korea for up to 90 days without a visa, so that won't be a problem, and I'll pay for the plane tickets to shuttle her back and forth at the end of the 90 day periods. I'm willing to pay up to 20,000 Baht per month plus basic living expenses. She'll have to live with me in my 2-bedroom apartment here in Seoul. I'm a single guy and live alone right now but desparately need someone who can prepare Thai meals for me 3 times a day.

So my question is how to find a person who would be willing to do this? I'll be taking a vacation to Thailand next week and can look for someone then, but I don't really have any idea how to go about it and need some pointers. Do I just go to some small economically depressed town where people are in desparate need of getting a job? Do I post a notice at a university in hopes of finding a college student who'd like to travel to Korea and make some money at the same time? Are there any employment agencies that have a list of potentially qualified candidates for such a job?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

I'm looking for a Thai who can who can cook good Thai meals, and also clean the house, do laundry, etc.  She should be able to at least speak basic English.  The only catch is that I'm living in Seoul, Korea.  Thais can freely travel to Korea for up to 90 days without a visa, so that won't be a problem, and I'll pay for the plane tickets to shuttle her back and forth at the end of the 90 day periods.  I'm willing to pay up to 20,000 Baht per month plus basic living expenses.  She'll have to live with me in my 2-bedroom apartment here in Seoul.  I'm a single guy and live alone right now but desparately need someone who can prepare Thai meals for me 3 times a day.

So my question is how to find a person who would be willing to do this?  I'll be taking a vacation to Thailand next week and can look for someone then, but I don't really have any idea how to go about it and need some pointers.  Do I just go to some small economically depressed town where people are in desparate need of getting a job?  Do I post a notice at a university in hopes of finding a college student who'd like to travel to Korea and make some money at the same time?  Are there any employment agencies that have a list of potentially qualified candidates for such a job?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

sound strange requirment

Bambi :o

yes I agree with you Bambina...

Rocketman I would be a little careful - I wouldn't recommend going to an economically depressed area and hanging out a sign saying "20,000 a month for a live in cook and maid" it looks really odd - are we missing something here?

Rocketman I would be a little careful - I wouldn't recommend going to an economically depressed area and hanging out a sign saying "20,000 a month for a live in cook and maid" it looks really odd - are we missing something here?
I said I'd "pay up to 20,000 Baht per month", meaning if the going rate was less I'd certainly offer less and only work up if I couldn't find someone. But being the maid will be living outside of Thailand and so won't have friends to talk to, Thai TV to listen to, etc., I think it's probably not too unreasonable to expect someone to want at least double the pay of a maid in Thailand.
Save yourself a lot of hassle & money. Hire a Korean maid, eat Thai take-out 3 times a day.  :o

This is Korea, not Thailand. They don't have take-out Thai restaurants here. The nearest decent Thai restaurant is an hour away and would cost over 700 Baht for one person. That's 21,000 Baht and 60 hours commuting time per month for just one Thai meal per day. A Korean maid would cost nearly twice what I'm looking to pay. So actually it's much cheaper for me to bring in a maid from Thailand.

If it is like Singapore, it's rather 2 weeks, not 90 days.

She may pass 1-2 times, 3rd time they'll send her back.

No it's definitely 90 days. I know of a young Thai lady who came alone to Korea for a couple months and there was absolutely no hassles entering Korea. They may refuse her entry after coming in several times, but if so I'll just find another one.

The reason for needing the Thai meals is due to my health. I'm on a strict diet with lots of vegetables and I can't cook myself. Korean food is okay once in a while, but I can't handle it every meal. I have no problems keeping to my diet if someone is cooking Thai food for me, but anything else and I quickly resort to foods that aren't good for my health. I know it may sound strange to some of you, but I think it's a small price for me to pay for my health.