Chiang Mai Immigration

ProThaiExpat

Arrived at line along three walls inside waiting room at 8:10 am on Wednesday Dec 15th. Received number 227 from line controller after examining my passport at 8:30. Lite on desk #2 indicated serving number 201, remained that way without serving anyone until 8:45 at which time it moved to #201 and remained that way until first customer finished at 09:10. Allowing for 10-15 minutes for each visa extension based on retirement, there was no chance I would be served today so I left.

Passport holder behind me in line had only two days to extend and he was not given preference number. Guy who was not serviced yesterday was there again and received a new waiting line number, no carry over from the day before.

Front counter desks were very busy but second and third row desks did not have occupants until 9:00 and then when I left at 9:15 two desks in row three were not occupied.

Two months ago when I got my non-immO from tourist visa, I was number 508 at desk number 7, and finished processing by 11:00 am, however, I did have to go back two days later to pick up passport.

I allowed two weeks before my expiration to get my extension, if I was like the guy behind me I would still be camped out at immigration and he had to drive for an hour and a half to get there just behind me. He was obviously pleased with my departure.

Would sure like to hear from someone who got better service this week and that I just had a bad day???

Last time I went in for my 90 day retirement check in I got a high number. The fellow at the machine told me to come back at 1:00. I did and I was out of there in one hour. Next time ask the fellow at the machine about when to come back.

Not sure but it seems like certain times of the month go faster than others.

I am not due for 90 day reporting for another week or I'd send an employee out and see how long it takes him to return ;)

If it is a retirement visa he can report for you. Get him to grab a form and bring it to you to fill in.

Not sure about the non immigrant one's or any others for that matter.

I am not due for 90 day reporting for another week or I'd send an employee out and see how long it takes him to return ;)

If it is a retirement visa he can report for you. Get him to grab a form and bring it to you to fill in.

Not sure about the non immigrant one's or any others for that matter.

Non-Imm-B 90 day reporting for annual extension. I don't go myself, just send an employee to do it for me.

The three desks, which are actually a counter with standing officers, moved very quickly and I am sure Residence Certificates and 90 Day extensions were going quite quickly.

As others have posted in another thread, there is only one desk assigned to extensions for one year based on retirement due to the lesser number of those as opposed to 90 day and Resident certificates. They also require less officer time than extensions for a year.

I must have arrived just after the OP today as I got ticket number 229.

The guy on the ticket machine told me to come back at 1.30 as they process tickets 201-220 in the morning and 221-240 in the afternoon.

I did some shopping and had a meal and returned at 1.20. They were processing 224 at the time and 229 was called at 2pm. I was out by 2.20 and my 90 day report had been completed at the same time.

I asked the officer what happens if you arrive late and there are no more tickets available. He said you have to return on another day unless it's the day the extension expires, then they will fit you in sometime but you must remain in the waiting room because it could be anytime during the day.

I would prefer not to rely on that statement and make sure I apply in plenty of time.

The pregnant question is, "Why wasn't I told about coming back in the afternoon when I was given 227 at 8:30? and the older than me guy from down south with 228 wasn't told either?"

thaireg: Were you told to come back in the afternoon when he gave you your ticket #229 or was it later and if so when?

The pregnant question is, "Why wasn't I told about coming back in the afternoon when I was given 227 at 8:30? and the older than me guy from down south with 228 wasn't told either?"

thaireg: Were you told to come back in the afternoon when he gave you your ticket #229 or was it later and if so when?

I had already been told by friends before I went to the office that tickets 201-220 were for the morning and 221-240 for the afternoon. I tried to get there around 7.30 but couldn't get up in time. I simply asked when I got my ticket if there was any guide to when the number would be called, and I was told that they don't call 221 until the afternoon, so the best time to be on the safe side was 1pm but 1.30 would probably be ok.

There were 2 desks processing retirement extensions.

Edited by thaireg

Yesterday, I came at 11:30A and as told here, there were no more tickets for the retirement extension. I gently complained in English that this is the 2nd time I have come here. After a bit of gentle, polite (my opinion) persistence, I was told to wait a bit. After 20 minutes, they told me with a smile, to come back at 3PM. When I arrived at 3PM, they were upto #227. It took them about 30 minutes to go through #333 because those numbers were taken by people who didn't show up. As was mentioned in thread some people who came as early as 8:30A get those numbers. I wonder how many people take a ticket and don't show up for whatever reason. They need to change the waiting periods for queuing, one at 8:30A and one at 1PM. To have to come early in the morning for a number that won't be called for 5 to 7 hours is a bit much. What's next, camping out over night just to secure a position on the line to get a ticket.

Regarding the service, the lady officer that told me to come back and who also took care of my application when I returned was very friendly and courteous. I was out in about 45 minutes so that part of the experience was very good.

I must have been lucky. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped in late morning, received a ticket from a young man who advised me to come back at 1pm and I was finished with the extension by 2pm (with another hour for a multiple re-entry permit). I do believe I had the benefit of 2 or 3 no-shows.

CM does seem quite reluctant to process earlier than thirty days before the renewal date. When I showed up last year with an air ticket showing I would be away at the point of renewal, they extended my existing visa by two weeks beyond my return date and told me to come back then.

I was at immigration on Monday to do my 90 day reporting and the queues were well into the car park at 8.10am. I would not liked to have renewing my yearly extention or arranging a exit visa as l could have been there all day. Immigration do not seem to realise that the number of ex-pats retiring or working in Chiang Mai seems to be on the increase and processing 40 applicants a day for extentions of stay is insufficient. Also the premises are far to small to accomodate such a large gathering of ex-pats and telling people to keep coming back is not fair especially if they have travelled some distance

Immigration sounds like a mess- I'm glad I don't have to show up anymore :)

How do you make the once a year application. Can some one else do that for you also?

I presume it is a retirement visa you have.

Residency. Then you don't have to jump through the hoops that temporary visitors do.

As for the queues at Immigration: I guess this tells you a little bit about how much truth there is in posts claiming that 'everyone is leaving'.

When I arrived at 3PM, they were upto #227. It took them about 30 minutes to go through #333 because those numbers were taken by people who didn't show up.

Oops, of course I meant #233.

I just realized that someone wrote here that the afternoon queue goes from 221 to 240 but when I left the immig office, the last number on the screen remained at 233, so what happened to 234 - 240?