Leaving D-Max 2 Months

haveaniceday

Going on a 2 month trip, one of the in-laws pressuring my wife that the D-Max needs to be started and taken for a drive or it will be no good when we get back, there is no way he is getting his sleezy little fingers near the keys, we think easier no one have the keys. We do have a more trust worthy friend who could come and turn it over easily enough, and could run it for 20mins at idle, but I don't want it moved, it should be ok not started for 2 months right?

take floor mats out.

Can you explain why ?

avoid mold between floor mats and carpets

it is also a good ide to clean up interior, and leave a small gap on rearwindows if 4 door and rain visors, or force vents open, or best is both. Vents located between cabin and bed, rubberflaps keep them closed when fan not running, force open with an object to make air inside cabin circulate

a car usually has vents covered by rear bumper

despite above actions, I have a Fortuner stored in my garage (like 9 months now), with mold. Humidity is a killer in LOS. Warm water/clorine clean up and more sunshine needed to cure :)

If the battery cant handle 2 months, its time for a new one anyway

That's not the point! The battery will slowly discharge whilst the OP is away as there are several components which are not fully isolated just by turning OFF the key. OK, it should recharge on return but do that too many times will destroy the battery, better to disconnect leaving it fully charged! Apart from a gook quality steering lock and covering the vehicle with a condom that's the only thing I do and have been doing so for over 8 years, up to 3 months at a time.

My original battery only lasted 15 months, them days I was working in the Gulf on a 28 day cycle and noticed that the battery performance got worse every trip, I disconnected from then on without problems.

That's not the point! The battery will slowly discharge whilst the OP is away as there are several components which are not fully isolated just by turning OFF the key. OK, it should recharge on return but do that too many times will destroy the battery, better to disconnect leaving it fully charged! Apart from a gook quality steering lock and covering the vehicle with a condom that's the only thing I do and have been doing so for over 8 years, up to 3 months at a time.

My original battery only lasted 15 months, them days I was working in the Gulf on a 28 day cycle and noticed that the battery performance got worse every trip, I disconnected from then on without problems.

disconnecting battery means alarm does not work

in addition memory in ECU can be lost

a healthy battery can be connected for 2 months on a car without problems, and will discharge 0,05 Volt per month, thats from 12,7 to 12,6 volt in 2 months.

new cars in stock are often stored for +6 months without being charged/started, and even in icecold scandinavia they are still +12,3 volt

the best lifetime increaser for batterys is CTEC chargers, at least once a month bring the battery up to 14,45 volt with pulses. can be connected for months

and just to stir up, I would not use a condom if parked outdoors (or indoors for that matter). keeps humidity in car. better to wax before parking :)

disconnecting battery means alarm does not work

in addition memory in ECU can be lost

a healthy battery can be connected for 2 months on a car without problems, and will discharge 0,05 Volt per month, thats from 12,7 to 12,6 volt in 2 months.

new cars in stock are often stored for +6 months without being charged/started, and even in icecold scandinavia they are still +12,3 volt

the best lifetime increaser for batterys is CTEC chargers, at least once a month bring the battery up to 14,45 volt with pulses. can be connected for months

and just to stir up, I would not use a condom if parked outdoors (or indoors for that matter). keeps humidity in car. better to wax before parking :)

Looks like we are just going to disagree and do our own thing on both counts! I would be very surprised to see a dealer leave a car in storage without disconnecting the battery and get advise from members who have been in the industry as to whether this is so or not! As for the ECU:- It will be at no more risk than your inhouse PC, the BIOS battery will keep up the current option settings for years and if that fails the non volatile RAM will default anyway.

Do not use plastic cover on motors for long periods especially in humid conditions cos what's ever in there will stay in there and develop. :).

Classic rides that have covers in a de-humidified garage or not, are made of cotton so the thing can breath.

1. Pump the tyres up to 50psi, this stops them from getting flat spots.

2. Disconnect the battery this will leave it with a full charge when you return to connect it.

3. Most importantly, FILL THE FUEL TANK, this stops any condensation forming in the tank and causing problems later.

WHEN YOU DO RESTART THE VEHICLE DON'T REV IT UP, LET IT IDLE FOR 10 MINUTES. Stops glasing of the bores.

I have a D-MAX in Thailand and Australia, have done this on all occasions for up to 6 months at a time, without any problems.