Phuket Police Beef Up Patong Security

webfact

Phuket police beef up Patong security

med_gallery_327_1086_35023.jpg

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Arayapan Pukbuakao.

PHUKET: -- Police in Kathu are boosting their presence on the streets of Patong for Phuket’s tourism high season.

At a meeting with his top officers earlier this week, Kathu Police Superintendent Arayapan Pukbuakhao called for his officers to boost security, in terms of crime suppression and safety, and to work towards reducing the number of accidents involving tourists during the coming months.

The result is more checkpoints and more officers on the street, with an extra presence after the bars close.

To make the extra security possible, officers will be working extra shifts and some will be pulled from desk jobs.

Col Arayapan told the Phuket Gazette, “We have set where the checkpoints in Patong will be and there will be more officers on duty from 2 to 3am.”

The superintendent reminded his officers that bars in the entertainment zone are to close at 2am, and that police are to ask entertainment establishments to switch off their outside lights and make sure they do not make “too much” noise during high season.

“Special officers have been set to look after cases of stolen cars and motorbikes,” Col Arayapan told said.

“Every month we receive reports about stolen motorbikes and stolen rental cars.

“Some of these motorbike owners left the keys in their motorbikes in front of their houses, and some car and motorbike rental businesses were careless in renting out their vehicles. They were not specific when recording the homeland of the person renting the vehicle and some of their cars were driven out of Phuket.

“So officers will remind people to be more careful with their motorbikes, and we will talk with businesses operators to find ways to protect their vehicles,” he said.

As for thieves working Patong Beach, Col Arayapan said plainclothes police will be patrolling the sands, keeping a close watch on tourists’ belongings.

“Many foreigners have had belongings stolen on the beach, but didn’t report it to the police.

Many leave their belongings on the beach while they go swimming. There are some people who watch them and steal their belongings while they [the tourists] are in the water.

“Now there will be more plainclothes officers keeping an eye out along the beach and reporting any thieves they see.”

The local lifeguards will assist in this effort, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-12-18

If you asked the average class of seven years to devise a list of crime prevention measures they would match that one.

Perhaps, even better it.

Seven year olds.

Telegraphing the times of check points and increased numbers of officers is very helpful. Tourists will now be able to plan to go home safely between the hours of 2-3 a.m. Equally, the muggers, rapists, sex offenders, thieves and burglars will know to get their shift finished before 2 a.m.

Actually, there's a thought they could simply go to lunch between 2-3 am and then clock on again. Here Wan, what shift you working today? I'm on earlies.

Those special officers who have been 'set up' to look after those stolen bikes and cars; will they be looking after them in the same way they did last year? That's when anything bright shiny and new that was recovered soon disappeared again over to Uncle Wit's house. You remember uncle Wit. He's the one handy with a spray gun.

Good old Col Arayapan should not be under estimated. Crimes on the beach that were never reported to the police he says he knows about. Stunning! He should concentrate on seeing the lottery numbers then he'd be able to retire. Or may be he's got another idea in mind for acquiring unusual wealth. Back to his plain clothes boys on the beach then. They're the ones who presumably see the crimes but choose to remain incognito.

He explains motor bike theft as happening because owners left the keys in the bike outside their houses.

Interesting.

Does that explain the rapes? The women left their vaginas inside their pants? Muggings happen then because money is left inside the pockets of trousers. And I suppose murder is explained away as farangs leaving blood inside their bodies.

Well that's cleared that up then.

Well not the blood stains. They'll continue to stain any time spent in Phuket.

On the surface it sounds to me that the first focus is stopping accidents with more check points after Bars close. I think he was equivocating about telling the real reason.

The real reason probably will be extra revenue and pocket padding for people who are stopped for driving under the influence. What is the fine if it goes to court? 10,000 baht and community service? Or how much can be filtered directly into the officers pocket with avoiding arrest and court? ½?

Sounds like a smoke screen.

uncletom

When I read the OP I can understand the following

The result is more checkpoints and more officers on the street, with an extra presence after the bars close.

Bars will be shut early

Police in Kathu are boosting their presence on the streets of Patong for Phuket’s tourism high season

More people will be fined for wearing no helmet

The local lifeguards will assist in this effort, he said

The lifeguards will also be asking for tea money

As for thieves working Patong Beach, Col Arayapan said plainclothes police will be patrolling the sands, keeping a close watch on tourists’ belongings

Tourists be carefull because from now on you can not recognize thieves from police.

Another money making scam by the BIB. They should be ashamed of themselves. And they think we believe this sh*t?<br>

The thing is, they don't care if we believe them or not, they do what they want with impunity. Their statements make themselves feel better so they can sleep at night. Why be ashamed when there's no one to shame you?

Who's going to fix the Police, the Mayor? He's in power because they say he is.

Only someone with Balls in the high command in the Police dept. can start a crack down on the Corrupt BIB.

The Challenge: Find one of them with a moral compass pointing in the right direction to do something like that. Better luck being struck by lightning...twice

“Now there will be more plainclothes officers keeping an eye out along the beach and reporting any thieves they see.”

Who are they reporting it to??? I thought cops had the power of arrest??

With the shake downs I have experience lately from the police. My question is who are the real thieves?

Another money making scam by the BIB. They should be ashamed of themselves. And they think we believe this sh*t?<br>

The thing is, they don't care if we believe them or not, they do what they want with impunity. Their statements make themselves feel better so they can sleep at night. Why be ashamed when there's no one to shame you?

Who's going to fix the Police, the Mayor? He's in power because they say he is.

Only someone with Balls in the high command in the Police dept. can start a crack down on the Corrupt BIB.

The Challenge: Find one of them with a moral compass pointing in the right direction to do something like that. Better luck being struck by lightning...twice

Maybe should think…. It is their new now resolution and it is on paper looking like a true bon a fide initiative. No-one from higher order or from anywhere when reading sees it any other way. They only see they did something productive.

Actually that simple...

uncletom

I think anyone who has visited Patong will realise the whole area is out of control. Yes of course there are elements within the police who are corrupt but the extent of the cesspool of Patong shows clearly even if the BiB were 100% straight, they are way outnumbered to handle the task.

It will of course evolve over time and most likely a downhill slide rather than improve. I avoid the place and advise visitors to keep clear as all my personal experiences there have been mired as have my clients. Phuket is an island to avoid.

@Met - Thanks for clearing that up. But aren't they in black sometimes too? I guess BiB works for that too.

@Asia watcher - I've spent a few months in Phuket (much of it in Patong) and loved it. I don't see it as an island to avoid - rather just one to keep your guard up in*. And even then only in certain places like, well, Patong. Is there really that much corruption/bad general stuff going down in quieter areas like Rawai/Chalong or even Kamala (just over the hill from cessful Patong)?

*That said, I'm a relatively fit, young white male. In retrospect, I wouldn't bring my kids there (if I had em).

We all know the reason they are increasing checkpoints at 2 am is to target falangs who are leaving the bars and then extorting huge amounts of money from them. Business is down and this is how they make up extra income. What scum!