What'S The Most Money You Ever Lost In A Confidence Game Scam?

Jingthing

It's a jungle out there  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are so many con games in the world. Surely you have been burned by one at least once? Do tell. Juicy stories most welcome. US dollars used as the unit as it is international reserve currency of the moment. Anyone checking the really high options, does the name Bernie Madoff ring a bell?

If you haven't yet been hit, don't think for a moment that you are so clever that you are immune from them. Unless of course you are a seasoned con artist yourself. Then you might be that clever.

BTW, that certain feeling the precise moment you REALIZE you have been conned and the money is down a rathole ... perhaps the opposite of an orgasm?

Edited by Jingthing

Got took for 4,000 Baht at the police head quarters in Bangkok. Australian embassy sent me there to get a police clearance for Thai wife, they said to me it is free and they should issue it immediately. The police thought otherwise and replied 4,000 Baht. I told him the embassy said it was free to which he replied come back in three weeks. Coming from Chiang Mai what choice did I have? Incidentally the reason the Australian embassy required the police clearance was because after one year since applying they still had not issued the visa with the result the original expired at the end of one year. A further six months later and they finally issued the visa after having told me 'oh, we see you have a three year old son together, this should have been issued as soon as you aplied'.

Most people probably already know this, but aside from lonely hearts kinds of scams, the tactic the cons use usually exploits the marks own greed. So that when the mark is taken, they have actually participated in some ways with the crime (and are much less likely to report it). Not to mention the embarrassment victims feel about being taken this way.

Edited by Jingthing

Most people probably already know this, but aside from lonely hearts kinds of scams, the tactic the cons use usually exploits the marks own greed. So that when the mark is taken, they have actually participated in some ways with the crime (and are much less likely to report it). Not to mention the embarrassment victims feel about being taken this way.

Right, or some kind of quick return on their money..

Last year my gfs house had a leak in the roof (she claimed) big damp patch on ceiling.

She said builder came round estimate 6kbht (I didn't see builder)

She asked me to pay, but her house, so I paid 1/2 (3kbht)

Builder fixed roof, I didn't see him, no signs of any work done, no receipt.

I recon she sprayed a hose in the roof space to make a damp patch.

No big deal ....... but if she thought I was that stupid ..... I dumped her a few weeks later.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a 3 wheeled taxi driver in su Zhou, china to take me to a place I could drink and dance (communicated through sherades) he took me to a brothel and when I insisted on leaving I got robbed (charged entry fee for walking in the door) by the only guy in su Zhou with fluent English.

But true to Chinese stereotypes I bargained them down to around $30

Ive also lost out buying 'real jade' - abt $20

Got took for $3000 about 5 years ago trying to buy a shipment of second hand mobile phones on Alibaba. A Malaysian guy. Real smooth talker. Sent the first 50% payment, and asked a Malaysian acquaintance go and verify the shipment before I would send the rest. Guy tried every trick in the book to prevent me from verifying the goods.

Could have gotten taken for $6000. Sure I could have reported it. What's the point? Money was gone. He had me send it to a bank in China. I was naive.

Never trust Malaysians...

When I was a kid I got scammed while working the register . I don't think i've ever been taken for a long con, though.

Same here, classic con where they give you a large note for a small item, then as you ring in through they suddenly have the correct money, you give change back then they give you the correct money and change and before you know it. They've talked you into giving them extra change without you realising.

When I was a kid I got scammed while working the register . I don't think i've ever been taken for a long con, though.

Same here, classic con where they give you a large note for a small item, then as you ring in through they suddenly have the correct money, you give change back then they give you the correct money and change and before you know it. They've talked you into giving them extra change without you realising.

I didn't get that.

Confidence game you ask? Hmmm

I was married twice and lost about $200.000 to the first wife and about $50,000 to the second wife. You know, the old half of the remaining half game. How does that stack up with money losses? :whistling::lol:

I was also caught between a rock and a hard place one time when I stupidly let myself get taken by a Filipino Tuk Tuk driver to his home where he supposedly was picking up some tickets for pool party. I had to bail myself out of that situation with a knife held at one guy's throat while I gave the others the cash I had on me... about $100. If they wanted my camera then we were all going to die.

I also saw dozens of other scams on a continual basis in the Philippines, as well as 4 men I knew personally who were murdered. I finally decided to never go back. I've never had any of those problems in Thailand despite spending time in the rougher areas long after midnight.

Fell for the expensive watch at a gas station scam once.

Where they tell you they have a load of watches left over worth loads, then show you a flashy magazine with the same watches advertised for large money - so you buy it, then find out they just place an add so as to be able to scam you .. lol.

Sold it on eBay when I found out and made £2 profit though ... so .... maybe not all bad!

Also had the cash register change scam pulled on me once too when I worked in Woolworths.

Got took for 4,000 Baht at the police head quarters in Bangkok. Australian embassy sent me there to get a police clearance for Thai wife, they said to me it is free and they should issue it immediately. The police thought otherwise and replied 4,000 Baht. I told him the embassy said it was free to which he replied come back in three weeks. Coming from Chiang Mai what choice did I have? Incidentally the reason the Australian embassy required the police clearance was because after one year since applying they still had not issued the visa with the result the original expired at the end of one year. A further six months later and they finally issued the visa after having told me 'oh, we see you have a three year old son together, this should have been issued as soon as you aplied'.

Same here but I was charged 6k and If I didn't pay then the application would be put under a stack of applications as high as the ceiling.

Back in the 80's I fell for the video deck player in a box scam.

I was getting gasoline and this riff-raff came up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a brand new vcr. I bit and gave him USD 75. When I got the box home... It was full of rocks! :annoyed::unsure: I wanted to hunt that bozo down and hit him in the head with those rocks. But that was a younger, wilder time...

No comment about the chicks... :whistling:

TheWalkingMan

Edited by TheWalkingMan

15 years back my wife of the time and I paid $500 to be part of a house sitting service...'Live rent free all year round!!' 'Home owners desperate for sitters'... we fit all the criteria...good jobs, references, no kids etc etc..... Never heard from them again after we paid our monies...

• 2 months later...

Now, let me see, if I remember correctly I lost about $200,000 to my first wife and another $50,000 to my second wife. Both times it happened in Canada. If marriage isn't a scam then I don't know what is. Of course, I DID father two great children with my first wife so I think it was worth it. The second $50,000 was worth it for the valuable lesson I learned.

I had another valuable lesson in the Philippines that taught me to never set foot in that country again unless I'm surrounded by my own private police force.

Edited by IanForbes

Don't see how that's a con, I think a couple of steps were missing from this maybe?

Bought a sports watch in Pratunam a few years back. Put it on my wrist, took two steps from the vendor and the crystal fell out onto the sidewalk. Because of the short distance, and short time, I was sure this would be one time when I might actually get a refund in Thailand.

Not so.

I picked up the crystal and handed it to the vendor, asking for my money back. Instead, the vendor wrapped it in tissue, handed it back to me, and casually remarked: "This type of watch doesn't need a crystal." :blink:

Don't see how that's a con, I think a couple of steps were missing from this maybe?

1. Go to your local "mom and pop" store.

2. Ask for a Leo beer. The price is 45 Baht.

3. Show the 70 year-old lady a 1000 Baht note.

4. She will then spend the next 10 minutes getting your 955 Baht change.

5. Meanwhile, switch the 1000 Baht note for a 100 Baht note.

6. When she gives you your change, take it in your left hand.

7. Look at it VERY carefully, and quickly offer her the 100 Baht note with your right hand.

8. The lady will NOT look at the 100 Baht note -- she will be watching you count your change in your left hand.

9. When you are satisfied that you have the correct change, smile at her. She will smile back.

10. Finally, get back onto your bicycle, head back home and reflect on what a total piece of scum you are