Where To Go For New Years Eve>

thaitar

Can you be a bit more explicit about what you want.

If you are a missionary you might not like some of the responses.

I kind of thought with your post your ides of a good time might be Loi Kroh Road lots of bars and girls. Some aren't girls but it would take a hands on inspection to know that.. No I haven't.

There will be many places with a nice meal followed up by a show. For myself I am easily entertained I will just go low key and at the witching hour wander over to the Anahson Market. Lots of fire works and a lot of people with a lot of energy.

Bottom line lads is I am sure that in the two weeks coming up you will have found some thing appealing to you.

And I am sure you will get a ton of good suggestions here up to you what you want.

Enjoy Chiang Mai

Yeah, makes sense. I was not specific. I actually don't know exactly what we want to do. Open to ideas. But I am not a missionary :) Want to party. Not paying for girls. Maybe just see some fireworks, go clubbing, maybe something else. No idea really. I'm kind of in that transitioning age group hehe. Getting a bit tired of clubbing, yet not ready for the fancy dinners and theatre events ;)

At The Olde Bell, we've got an Italian buffet priced at just 100 baht. It'll be a relaxed evening until midnight when there'll be the Chimes of Big Ben, Scottish Music to see in the New Year, followed by a disco, when our staff will be the hosts! Everyone is welcome!

At The Olde Bell, we've got an Italian buffet priced at just 100 baht. It'll be a relaxed evening until midnight when there'll be the Chimes of Big Ben, Scottish Music to see in the New Year, followed by a disco, when our staff will be the hosts! Everyone is welcome!

There you go one good idea already. And if you are not into the Scottish music and just want fireworks and people you are less than a ten minute walk to the anahson market, lots of both there. I believe beer is available not sure of that. The Olde Bell has a decent reputation.

You're a 'young dude' so surely you don't want to be just stuck inside eating on New Years Eve, there's enough of that at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Wander up to Thapae Gate and join in with the thousand's of Thai's that will be having a great time, they like to celebrate NYE too and there's sure to be live bands to dance to etc, and if you fancy a drink or a nibble, there will be loads of places to grab something to eat and drink.

My family young and older often come at this time of year and they always head for Thapae gate NYE, they think it's a great night and really get into the spirit of things!

Edited by uptheos

There's something very nice about being outside on New Years Eve.

I recall my dear old mum enjoying her tipple, listening to Andy Stewart and singing Auld Lang Syne, which if that's your thing it's perfectly OK. Pubs and restaurants are basically the same NYE as they are all year round, except they might add a few balloons, streamers and paper hats, but at the end of the day they are the same, in business to try and make money and that's fair enough, but I like a change.

Like many things in Chiang Mai, the best things are free and NYE at Thapae Gate s certainly one of the best fun free things. Whether you're young or old, you can join in and be perfectly accepted by the Thai's and the big benefit for going out is that it's not cold, though a light jacket or sweater might be needed.

There's something very nice about being outside on New Years Eve.

I recall my dear old mum enjoying her tipple, listening to Andy Stewart and singing Auld Lang Syne, which if that's your thing it's perfectly OK. Pubs and restaurants are basically the same NYE as they are all year round, except they might add a few balloons, streamers and paper hats, but at the end of the day they are the same, in business to try and make money and that's fair enough, but I like a change.

Like many things in Chiang Mai, the best things are free and NYE at Thapae Gate s certainly one of the best fun free things. Whether you're young or old, you can join in and be perfectly accepted by the Thai's and the big benefit for going out is that it's not cold, though a light jacket or sweater might be needed.

Darn you and UG Now I have to walk to Thapae Gate. from the Night Bazaar don't you realize I am an old man. :(

What time do they start with the festivities.B)

Is there any kind of schedule of events or is it just a spontaneous thing.:rolleyes:

Edited by jayjay0

The 700 Year Old Stadium will be having the World Championship Fireworks Final.

Supposed to last about 7 hours of Fireworks or so they say.

We went to the one in Pattaya a few months ago when there were 10 countries still in the fighting.

Great show of continious Fireworks for over two hours... think GRAND Finale.. all night long.

Should be fun if you like Fireworks.

What time do they start with the festivities.

Is there any kind of schedule of events or is it just a spontaneous thing.

It is different every year. Sometimes it is organized with entertainment and sometimes everyone just shows up there shortly before midnight. There are plenty of places to celebrate close-by while waiting.

Be warned though. They have canceled festivities at the gate before when worried about possible terrorism.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The 700 Year Old Stadium will be having the World Championship Fireworks Final.

Supposed to last about 7 hours of Fireworks or so they say.

We went to the one in Pattaya a few months ago when there were 10 countries still in the fighting.

Great show of continious Fireworks for over two hours... think GRAND Finale.. all night long.

Should be fun if you like Fireworks.

I've also heard something about this, though the details were pretty vague. Where did you find out about it? I haven't seen any adverts around and there is nothing about it online. Does any one else have any more information? 7 hours of fireworks would be insane.

Cheers,

GUANO

PS. Just had another look online and there is plenty of information. Seems like it's running from 2pm to 2am. Should be good.

Edited by GUANO

I agree on Thapae Gate. It is always fun and no entrance fee. :D

Yes, that is indeed a bonus and a good point.....you don't need to spend a lot to have a great time here on New Years eve.

Personally, I see no point sitting in the same old pub, stuffing my face, swigging beer, looking at the same old faces and falling asleep by midnight.....I can do that 364 days a year if I want, but on New Year's eve, get outside, join in the fun and if you want to eat or drink there's loads of places you can pop into.

Happy New Year smile.gif