Kindles, Nooks, And Kobos

Vindie

I want to get one, but there is a lot of confusing information in the shops here in the US (I visiting on holiday). The Nook people tell me I can't use it in Thailand. The Kindle people say I will incur all kinds of fees. I don't think these people know what they're talking about, but I don't want to get burned. If there is anybody in Thailand who has any of these I'd like to hear some updated info. I'm mostly just concerned with getting access to books within LOS since the salespeople say I won't be able to. I don't care about wireless or 3G because I'm happy to connect to my laptop and pull the books off. Can I do that reasonably easily? I really want to get one of these if they can be useful. Right now I'm leaning towards the Nook, with Kindle a close second.

My vote is for the upscale kindle. The Nook only has a six inch screen. I measured on a standard size paper back the print is 6 and 1/4 inches that is on the diagonal. The same way they measure the screen on e-readers. For my self I am 69 and have no reason to believe my eye sight is getting better. :D

You can enlarge the print but then you are changing pages more often. The large Kindle has over

2 1/2 the viewing area. I know the kindle you can only buy books from them. Defiantly not what you want.

I would defiantly question the nook people about the book's ability to down load from a Thai store.

It is my belief that you can download from your computer to both machines. Once again check out with both suppliers.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

By the way there is a thread about one page back or two at the most with a load of information even some web addresses you can go to for comparison of ten different models.

the thread is e-readers in Chiang Mai.B)

Ihave a Kindle and live in Korat with no local access to english language reading material. Having a Kindle is a no brainer. Books, magazines and newspaper within one minute and at very reasonable prices. You won't regret buying one.

Lefty

Ihave a Kindle and live in Korat with no local access to english language reading material. Having a Kindle is a no brainer. Books, magazines and newspaper within one minute and at very reasonable prices. You won't regret buying one.

Lefty

Lefty is absolutely correct. Well, at least I do not regret having one. Kindle readers can browse via the Kindle, select books, buy, and then start reading 1 minute later. But I find it faster and easier, using a large desk top monitor, to peruse the Kindle store and open multiple tabs to review many books synopses at the same time, going back and forth as I make my decision(s). I can select 1 click buy for a book and it is downloaded directly to the Kindle while I continue to use my desktop to see if I want to get some more at the same time.

Kindle also keeps track of what you buy so if you like an author and buy many of their books but forget a title, it will stop you from buying the same book again.

The Kindle does do some web surfing and will allow you to check your email, but it wasn't easy or quick enough for me so I don't use those features. I just read with it.

Two features I really like is its ability to be used in bright sunlight and then the option to change font size as it gets darker. However, you must have light to read; it is not back lit.

Two drawbacks I have found with the Kindle is that I seem to read significantly faster and go through the books way too quickly. So I am spending more money buying books. On top of that, since I can find the authors I want, I am paying more to buy the book I want rather than paying less buying any ole book because it is cheap.

Edited by noise

I have the Nook ...... battery life crap.

I would buy a Kindle 3, lasts a long time.

Never bought any books, loads floating around the internet, all the new novels are there.

I have over 1500 ready to read on my Nook.

Format doesn't matter Calibre software (free) will convert between formats at the touch of a button (MOBI for Kindle, EPUB for Nook)

I did download a sample book from B&N once over the internet onto my PC, it worked.

There are many people with Nooks that find the same as me ..... about 8 hours reading time ....... battery very tired

Kindle 3 lasts almost 30 hours reading time.

Nook is also badly crippled by an OS that restricts functionality to books loaded from sources other than B&N.

I have hacked mine to give full functionality on e-books from any source.

@Jingthing

It's not a problem, DRM free MOBI works perfectly on the Kindle 3.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 3 weeks later...

Aren't there issues with getting downloaded books from "other" sources onto the Kindle?

Copy protected ePub would be an issue. I think everything else that I know of is handled by getting Calibre.

But the simple fact of sitting at the beach downloading books in Thailand makes the Kindle the winner (Needs to not be the old one with the Sprint chipset).

The Kindle I ordered from amazon.com on December 15 arrived yesterday afternoon by DHL.

It works fine, was packaged adequately and had been despatched on the 13th.

Item Subtotal: $139.00

Shipping and handling: $20.98

Import Fees Deposit: $40.96

Total: $200.94

Someone elsewhere said that amazon refunded the difference in actual import fees...

Edited by mahtin

The Kindle I ordered from amazon.com on December 15 arrived yesterday afternoon by DHL.

Someone elsewhere said that amazon refunded the difference in actual import fees...

Bought a new Kindle 3 wifi for the wife's Xmas via ebay US,,2 weeks later had to return the Item to Amazon as the screen was damaged/unreadable (to be honest unsure whether it was mishandled by ourselves or whether it was a faulty screen),, I called amazon explained the situation, no probs from the support team, a new Kindle arrived from Amazon US to Thailand within 6 days,, yes, and Amazon refunded the postal cost incurred by me sending the faulty one back and any import costs when the new one arrived,, excellent service and wife is delighted with her kindle, she loves the installed dictionary function, if she is stuck on a big word she can scroll over the word with the cursor and the meaning appears in no time.

Had my Kindle shipped by USPS Express for $40. No custom fee. Arrived in 4 days.

Aren't there issues with getting downloaded books from "other" sources onto the Kindle?

Copy protected ePub would be an issue. I think everything else that I know of is handled by getting Calibre.

But the simple fact of sitting at the beach downloading books in Thailand makes the Kindle the winner (Needs to not be the old one with the Sprint chipset).

Can't see the need to be able to download books while sitting on the beach. I have a Sony which has no internet capability but have around 800 books currently stored on the reader, downloaded from free sources on the internet via PC, so I've plenty of choice for a new book to read once I finish one! The lack of internet connection seems to be a bit of a non-issue to me.